What attracted you to philosophy?

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

attofishpi

Re: What attracted you to philosophy?

Post by attofishpi »

Logik wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:32 pm
attofishpi wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:24 pm Sure, but one cannot test ones knowledge of God\'God' via experimental confirmation with others.
You can't test anyone's knowledge of God. Full stop.

Why? I can test one's knowledge of a cat, so why not God?
Logik wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:32 pmIf it was empirically testable God would be a scientific matter.
In fact - it is the binary question man has been asking all along, and it is a scientific matter, since it exists. One day I hope a physicist will prove it.
Logik wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:32 pm
attofishpi wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:24 pm No, alas I am left to philosophise about it all.
You say philosophise. I say "untestable speculation".

I am truly curious though. If your ideas are empirically untestable against reality, what do you expect to achieve by "bouncing them [untestable ideas] off by other brains"?

Are you sure you aren't just trying to satisfy your need for human contact/interaction? (seeming as you mentioned you never married).
...mmm i'm sooo lonely...its just God\'God' a sage, and meeee.
Logik

Post by Logik »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:46 pm Why? I can test one's knowledge of a cat, so why not God?
Because one's knowledge of a cat is testable AND falsifiable.
If I claim that I know a cat has 43 chromosome pairs you could (independently) test/falsify this claim.

One's knowledge of God is neither testable nor falsifiable.
If I claim that I know God has 1843 chromosome pairs you can neither test nor falsify this claim.
attofishpi wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:46 pm In fact - it is the binary question man has been asking all along, and it is a scientific matter, since it exists. One day I hope a physicist will prove it.
Gross mis-understanding of science. Physicists don't prove anything. Physicists test their hypothesis.
Experiments, by their very nature, are a tool for disambiguation. You take all possible options into account:

Null hypothesis: The existence or non-existence of God cannot be determined.
Alternative hypothesis 1: God exists.
Alternative hypothesis 2: God does not exist.

What evidence would support or contradict the alternative hypotheses?
attofishpi wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:46 pm ...mmm i'm sooo lonely...its just God\'God' a sage, and meeee.
Notice that you didn't answer the question. What do you expect to achieve by bouncing your untestable ideas off other brains? Are you getting closer to devising an experiment/test for God?

Instead you resorted to sarcasm and mockery. Apparently there is a grain of truth in every joke.
Last edited by Logik on Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Logik wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:58 pm
attofishpi wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:46 pm Why? I can test one's knowledge of a cat, so why not God?
Because one's knowledge of a cat is testable AND falsifiable.
If I told you that a cat has 4 livers you could test/falsify this claim.

One's knowledge of God is neither testable nor falsifiable.
If I told you that God has 4 eyes would you believe me?
I'm not sure, I haven't seen it in the form that has eyes. Just because the multitudes don't know it exists, does not mean there is not someone out there that comprehends 'its' 'Gods' attributes in a logical and coherent way, that I can relate to.
attofishpi wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:46 pm In fact - it is the binary question man has been asking all along, and it is a scientific matter, since it exists. One day I hope a physicist will prove it.
Gross mis-understanding of science. Physicists don't prove anything. Physicists test their hypothesis.
Experiments, by their very nature, are a tool for disambiguation. That is why we have null and alternative hypothesis.

Thus the binary nature of experimental physics.
Ergo, experimental physicists resolve a binary question.
attofishpi wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:46 pm ...mmm i'm sooo lonely...its just God\'God' a sage, and meeee.
Notice that you didn't answer the question. What do you expect to achieve by bouncing your ideas off other brains?

Instead you resorted to sarcasm and mockery. Apparently there is a grain of truth in every joke.
What's your point? That you don't understand that at the end of every keyboard on the planet there is a brain to be questioned?
Last edited by attofishpi on Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Logik

Post by Logik »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:10 pm Ergo, experimental physicists resolve a binary question.
It's not a binary question.

Null hypothesis: The existence of non-existence of God is an unanswerable proposition.
H1: God exists.
H2: God does not exist.
Last edited by Logik on Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Logik

Post by Logik »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:10 pm I'm not sure, I haven't seen it in the form that has eyes. Just because the multitudes don't know it exists, does not mean there is not someone out there that comprehends 'its' 'Gods' attributes in a logical and coherent way, that I can relate to.
I told you God has 1843 chromosome pairs. Are you calling me a liar now?
attofishpi wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:46 pm What's your point? That you don't understand that at the end of every keyboard on the planet there is a brain to be questioned?
No. My point is that YOU don't understand what answer you are looking for.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Logik wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:13 pm
attofishpi wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:10 pm I'm not sure, I haven't seen it in the form that has eyes. Just because the multitudes don't know it exists, does not mean there is not someone out there that comprehends 'its' 'Gods' attributes in a logical and coherent way, that I can relate to.
I told you God has 1843 chromosome pairs. Are you calling me a liar now?
WANKER. How does that fit into your logik.
Logik

Post by Logik »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:14 pm WANKER. How does that fit into your logik.
You said that you can test other people's knowledge of God.
I told you that I know God has 1843 chromosome pairs.

If you do not believe that God has 1843 chromosome pairs then you are calling me a liar.
Last edited by Logik on Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Logik wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:13 pm
attofishpi wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:46 pm What's your point? That you don't understand that at the end of every keyboard on the planet there is a brain to be questioned?
No. My point is that YOU don't understand what answer you are looking for.
How the fuck would you know what answers I am looking for. You have NO comprehension of the 3rd part intelligence. I know most of its attributes in relation to man's comprehension of reality.
Logik

Post by Logik »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:17 pm How the fuck would you know what answers I am looking for.
If you don't know what answers you are looking for you can't devise any experiment!

At the very least you MUST know what experimental results confirm, and what experimental results contradict your hypothesis! You must know at least THAT!

If I told you that a cat has 5 legs, then you EXPECT to count 5 legs on a cat!
You don't EXPECT any other number!

So I imagine you will be very surprised when you count 4 legs on an actual cat.
attofishpi wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:17 pm You have NO comprehension of the 3rd part intelligence. I know most of its attributes in relation to man.
So you have no comprehension but you have knowledge? So you draw a distinction between comprehension and knowledge?

Explain this difference to us.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Logik wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:19 pm
attofishpi wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:17 pm How the fuck would you know what answers I am looking for.
If you don't know what answers you are looking for you can't devise any experiment!
I didn't say I don't know the answers I am looking for, I implied YOU don't know the answers I am looking for.

Logik wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:19 pm
attofishpi wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:17 pm You have NO comprehension of the 3rd part intelligence. I know most of its attributes in relation to man.
So you have no comprehension but you have knowledge? So you draw a distinction between comprehension and knowledge?

Explain this difference to us.
No. I stated YOU have no comprehension...fuck is English your second language?
Logik

Post by Logik »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:22 pm I didn't say I don't know the answers I am looking for, I implied YOU don't know the answers I am looking for.
If you know the answers you are looking for and the answers you are NOT looking for then devise the bloody experiment and test your hypothesis!
Logik wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:19 pm No. I stated YOU have no comprehension...fuck is English your second language?
4th.

Logic is my 1st.
Logik

Post by Logik »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:22 pm No. I stated YOU have no comprehension...fuck is English your second language?
Besides.I never claimed I have comprehension. I said I have knowledge. (Which is why I asked you if there is a difference between comprehension and knowledge.)

So I am telling you that I know God has 1843 chromosome pairs!

Test my knowledge.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Logik wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:27 pm
attofishpi wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:22 pm No. I stated YOU have no comprehension...fuck is English your second language?
Besides.I never claimed I have comprehension. I said I have knowledge.

So I am telling you that I know God has 1843 chromosome pairs!

Test my knowledge.
What would be the point. I don't know God\'God' to that detail.
Logik

Post by Logik »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:31 pm What would be the point. I don't know God\'God' to that detail.
OK. I know that God has blue hair and brown eyes.

Test my knowledge.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Logik wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:32 pm
attofishpi wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:31 pm What would be the point. I don't know God\'God' to that detail.
OK. I know that God has blue hair and brown eyes.

Test my knowledge.
Again...and I don't consider God in the form of flesh.

Do you understand what I do...I test my own knowledge against that of others regarding this entity.
Last edited by attofishpi on Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.