Are you superstitious about your birthday?

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Are you superstitious about your birthday?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

For example do you pick your birthday to give up a bad habit?

🇺🇲PhilX🇺🇲
Sage-ish

Re: Are you superstitious about your birthday?

Post by Sage-ish »

Who has a birthday? :D
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Sage-ish wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:23 am Who has a birthday? :D
Yeah, I only had one. The rest are just anniversaries. But am I superstitious about them? Well, I always wonder whether I'll make the next one.
QuantumT

Post by QuantumT »

I hate birthdays. One step closer to death + unwanted attention. Not that life is that great, but the other thing is unknown.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

QuantumT wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:13 pm I hate birthdays. One step closer to death + unwanted attention. Not that life is that great, but the other thing is unknown.
I love Slavoj Zizek's answer to what scared him the most. He said, essentially, dying and waking up again.
Logik

Post by Logik »

Dalek Prime wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:05 am
QuantumT wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:13 pm I hate birthdays. One step closer to death + unwanted attention. Not that life is that great, but the other thing is unknown.
I love Slavoj Zizek's answer to what scared him the most. He said, essentially, dying and waking up again.
Respawn? That would sure cure my anxiety!

You can win at any game with infinite lives.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Logik wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:51 am
Dalek Prime wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:05 am
Respawn? That would sure cure my anxiety!

You can win at any game with infinite lives.
That would just add to my anxiety. Infinite levels of it.
Logik

Post by Logik »

Dalek Prime wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:26 pm That would just add to my anxiety. Infinite levels of it.
No ways. Keep suiciding until you are born in the right environment.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Logik wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:45 pm
Dalek Prime wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:26 pm That would just add to my anxiety. Infinite levels of it.
No ways. Keep suiciding until you are born in the right environment.
Easier to rebel in the womb, until I'm born to billionaires.
'Nope. Not coming out. You can't afford the lifestyle I want to become accustomed to.'

Still prefer oblivion though over rebirth.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

no.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

concur, just another day. rem 40 yrs ago "it was no big deal" - then somehow post late 90's and more even now, BD are a huge thing! - much about nothin. hate it when my workmates make my BD a huge deal "so what are you going to do on your BD"........um nothing, sit a home and watch TV like any other day..................... = such reply = fisheye (WTF is wrong with you! - its your BD!!!!) - be a narsist i guess is the demand.

so sick of all the bullshit over birthdays - which were no big deal in the 90's and prior.

maybe i need to get a selfie stick and join facfk and be a twit - to show the world how great i am "hey its my birthday!!!!!!"

like anyone gives a shit.
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

I am somewhat superstitious about my birthday. I have noticed bad things happen before my birthday even though they could be completely coincidental and sometimes even expected.
5 years ago, I slipped on ice a day before my birthday and that broke my knee on the way down as the kneecap snapped-bending a way it should never bend. But that could be expected, the snow melts during the day and freezes at night. I was walking home late that night and light snow only covered the ice so it was harder to see where it was.
Everyone breaks bones here in March especially, my birthday is less then 2 weeks away.
A pet I had suddenly died just two days before my birthday.
Another birthday I was laid off from work within days of my birthday.

I do begin to think I only pay more attention to these events because they happened during a time that 'should' be celebratory. There is a heuristic that describe what my thinking is doing there, but I can't remember which one it is.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Ghost wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:55 am I do begin to think I only pay more attention to these events because they happened during a time that 'should' be celebratory. There is a heuristic that describe what my thinking is doing there, but I can't remember which one it is.
For me there is a heuristic, too... I never knew the name.

Each birthday is a milestone for me. "WTF... I am still alive?" Is the first thought that pops into my mind on my BD.

My co-workers used to jostle me. "Hey, bud, you're fifty-eight? Unbelievable. We did not know shit keeps that long."

When I was 34, i filled out a health questionnaire that was supposed to tell you that based on your general health, what year of your chronological life you're going to die.

I answered all the questoins faithfully. You had to put in your current age in number, and add or subtract numbers according to your answers. I smoked then, ate raw pork bacon, drove everywhere, always ate more than I would need, etc. etc.

The questionnaire came back that at age 34, I was going to die at age 32.

Every year I lived since then, I consider stolen from the devil.

"Good morning, Dr. Faustus," I smirk on my birthday mornings as I wake up.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

I am about the day after, I always have a headache.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Each birthday feels like a landmark for me, where I feel incredibly grateful that somehow I am still alive and well, touch wood, which brings me to my superstition - complacency. After saying that I am alive and well I must follow with "touch wood" and then do so, but in a pinch I will touch my head, a plastic table, a tree, anything to let the universe know that I'm trying not to take anything for granted :)

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave ..."
- Roy Batty