What attracted you to philosophy?

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

bahman

Re: What attracted you to philosophy?

Post by bahman »

commonsense wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:05 pm
bahman wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:32 pm I have nothing better to do.
What? How about model railroading, baking or stamp collecting?
I have a PhD in physics. I started by condense matter physics then switch to modeling of infectious disease then start philosophy which just suits me right now very well. I found the other job so boring. I can be more creative in philosophy.
Logik

Post by Logik »

My curiosity auto-pilot steered me that way. I have an almost obsessive need for understanding how things work.

So in my pursuit for "Truth" I figured I need to understand how logic works. Imagine my disappointment when I figured out logic works however you want it to work. No Truth there just man-made rules.

Thus collapsed the Tower of Babel.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Dalek Prime wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:16 am I was kidnapped as a child and was forced to labour many years in a philosophy mine. After stowing the best nuggets in the vein, I bought my way to freedom, and invested in the mine that once held me as slave labour. Now I kidnap children and force them to work for me... And so the world turns. :wink:

** No children were harmed in the telling of this fabrication.**
Now I know, because finally you revealed, why you are so reticent about serious stuff and hide behind the veil of humour: because you just like to mine your own business.

But... minor miners?? really? Careful: they will grow up, and demand that they be part-owners, too... they can strike, and not be always the ones to be stricken any longer. Then you have to ask yourself, "Is the mine mine?"
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

-1- wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:39 pm
Dalek Prime wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:16 am I was kidnapped as a child and was forced to labour many years in a philosophy mine. After stowing the best nuggets in the vein, I bought my way to freedom, and invested in the mine that once held me as slave labour. Now I kidnap children and force them to work for me... And so the world turns. :wink:

Now I know, because finally you revealed, why you are so reticent about serious stuff and hide behind the veil of humour: because you just like to mine your own business.

But... minor miners?? really? Careful: they will grow up, and demand that they be part-owners, too... they can strike, and not be always the ones to be stricken any longer. Then you have to ask yourself, "Is the mine mine?"
Along with strip ming comes daily strip searches, so no one can pocket the goods.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

-1- wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:39 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
-1-

Post by -1- »

Dalek Prime wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:09 pm
Along with strip mining come daily strip searches, so no one can pocket the goods.
If I owned your mine, I'd only employ pole dancing ladies. To the heck with the minor miners. They can land you in jail given the proper company policy. I'd also do tap-down searches, and be a stallion later with my wife every night as a consequence.

(Is this allowed? We can advocate shooting down everyone, or toppling the government, or disbanding the union, we can call each other bad names, we can talk about our vices, mental derangements and drug abuse, but can we talk about, even covertly, about sex?)
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Dalek Prime wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:09 pm The following is wrongly attributed to Dalek Prime. The correct source is-1-
but can we talk about, even covertly, about sex?)
You just did. Talk about sex all you want, as long as you are talking about it philosophically.
Last edited by commonsense on Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

This is a question which seems to me to be one of the more important and defining ones which someone who pursues the study of philosophy can ask.

I think I was attracted to philosophy because I really do feel "lost" in this world. My existence seems very unfulfilling to me in so many fundamental and significant ways and I guess I had hoped that I could find some magic answer or some mysterious truth that would cure these feelings. However, and unfortunately, I didn't seem to find a "cure" for these feelings because, even at 51 years of age, they are still very much with me and it's very difficult to have any hope of ever being permanently rid of them at this point. And they are feelings that seem VERY difficult to live with (unless I engage in diversions that take my mind away from contemplating them).
Last edited by Gary Childress on Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

commonsense wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:23 pm
Dalek Prime wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:09 pm but can we talk about, even covertly, about sex?)
You just did. Talk about sex all you want, as long as you are talking about it philosophically.
You can. Just not with anyone you would actually wish to have sex with and not in a way that would suggest their participation--at least that's the way it is for some of us.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Dalek Prime wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:09 pm but can we talk about, even covertly, about sex?)
Not my quote.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Gary Childress wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:47 am
You can. Just not with anyone you would actually wish to have sex with and not in a way that would suggest their participation--at least that's the way it is for some of us.
Again, not my quote.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Dalek Prime wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:09 pm The following is wrongly attributed to Dalek Prime. The correct source is-1-
Last edited by commonsense on Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Dalek Prime wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:31 am
Not my quote.
Please note the edit above and accept my apology.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Dalek Prime wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:33 am

Again, not my quote.
Please accept my apology and note my editing above.