Ready to share knowledge

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

jarviguy

Ready to share knowledge

Post by jarviguy »

Hi guys! I am Jarvis. Philosophy nerd who didn't read any of philosophy books. I spend a lot of time on thinking, I am building up my own point of view. I know, in some way I am doing wrong but I am trying to stay off from another people opinions.

Cheers!
Dalek Prime

Re: Ready to share knowledge

Post by Dalek Prime »

jarviguy wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:39 pm Hi guys! I am Jarvis. Philosophy nerd who didn't read any of philosophy books. I spend a lot of time on thinking, I am building up my own point of view. I know, in some way I am doing wrong but I am trying to stay off from another people opinions.

Cheers!
Nothing wrong with figuring things out for yourself. Mind, it does help to read some thoughts of others, in order not to tread well worn ground, or reinvent the wheel. Work on what your basic acceptable premises are, and stick to them, unless they prove later to be fallacious. Then find new ones to build on.
jarviguy

Post by jarviguy »

Very valuable advice. Thank you.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

jarviguy wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:21 pm Very valuable advice. Thank you.
You're welcome. Also be careful of not liking something that makes sense, and rejecting it because you dont like it. Wish fulfillment is not good philosophy. ie. What I want or hope things to be, doesn't make any difference to what or how things really are.

You dont have to accept my premises, but I'll share them with you, as I keep them simple.

1. There is thought. ie. I have awareness. I exist.

2. There are things that exist whether I am aware of them or not. They are independent of my thought. I accept this from the first premise because these things persist beyond the scope of my awareness of them. ie. The ground I sleep on is there when I awaken from falling asleep on it. So it's a reasonable assumption that it exists independently of me, that is, my thought. My mind doesn't create it. There is no solipsism.

Having stated the independence of things beyond my thought, 3. my thought gives the independent thing its value. It has no intrinsic value (value in and of itself) because it does not have a capacity for value judgment. Only those things which have thought can project value on something else beyond its thought. Only thought itself has, or can have, an intrinsic value (again, value in and of itself).
bahman

Post by bahman »

Welcome to the forum.
LoganC

Post by LoganC »

Hi there! I'm also new to the forum, so if I 'post' in the wrong spot or something, forgive me. Glad to hear you're into philosophy. Are you open to book suggestions? I have some in mind if you'd like. Many of them can be found free online, as well!

Cheers,
Logan