Political correctness and snowflake generation

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Davyboi

Re: Political correctness and snowflake generation

Post by Davyboi »

Kayla wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:20 pm
Davyboi wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:32 amer than it was, even given the 'omg apu is racist!' thing? shit yea
I don't know maybe APU is a racist character, to some people, and like anything is subject to the viewers perspective....but from my view, it would be such a shame to get rid of such a wonderful character..
my point was that if you think of the good ol' days, todays snowflakes dont seem so bad

remember a short while back there was a commercial showing a mixed race family with a black guy and GASP! a white woman?

this got some peoples' noses out of joint, but most people even around this parts did not give a shit - but not so long ago, before political correctness - no one would dare run such an add

whom do you prefer, snowflakes who get offended by apu, or good ol' boys who get offended by mixed-race marriage? (or same-sex marraige or GASP! mixed-race same-sex marriage)
To be truthful I don't prefer either. Were I was brought up nothing like that really mattered, we were all in the same shit boat... don't get me wrong there were certain divisions, people who viewed and cast opinions..but that still goes on now...doesn't matter what you do, your sex, your race, your sexual tendancy...your job, your kids, etc...there is always someone who is going to pass judgement...
I am from Liverpool, which is basically one big melting pot of everything! We are only a small county, area... X
Davyboi

Post by Davyboi »

Davyboi wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:37 pm
Davyboi wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:32 amer than it was, even given the 'omg apu is racist!' thing? shit yea
I don't know maybe APU is a racist character, to some people, and like anything is subject to the viewers perspective....but from my view, it would be such a shame to get rid of such a wonderful character..
my point was that if you think of the good ol' days, todays snowflakes dont seem so bad

remember a short while back there was a commercial showing a mixed race family with a black guy and GASP! a white woman?

this got some peoples' noses out of joint, but most people even around this parts did not give a shit - but not so long ago, before political correctness - no one would dare run such an add

whom do you prefer, snowflakes who get offended by apu, or good ol' boys who get offended by mixed-race marriage? (or same-sex marraige or GASP! mixed-race same-sex marriage)
To be truthful I don't prefer either. Were I was brought up nothing like that really mattered, we were all in the same shit boat... don't get me wrong there were certain divisions, people who viewed and cast opinions..but that still goes on now...doesn't matter what you do, your sex, your race, your sexual tendancy...your job, your kids, etc...there is always someone who is going to pass judgement...
I am from Liverpool, which is basically one big melting pot of everything! We are only a small county, area... X
Plus another thing, that is just advertising trying to be politically correct...
And as for APU I am biased, I fooking love the character...I know it's childish and silly, but Simpsons won't be the same without him..
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

It's just moronic yanks playing at being 'tolerant and empathetic'. They really don't know how, so they go completely over the top over things that don't matter. It's so unbearably shallow.
Peter Sellers films will be banned next--the ones where he plays the part of an Indian.
I mean FFS. Indians really DO speak like that! Their ridiculous accent lends itself to comedy, and I'm pretty sure they couldn't give a flying fack, any more than I would give a flying fack if they made fun of Europeans in their Bollywood movies!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03QHVB_n6N8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCzA_11fJZE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIGtDdiHlA8
Davyboi

Post by Davyboi »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:50 pm It's just moronic yanks playing at being 'tolerant and empathetic'. They really don't know how, so they go completely over the top over things that don't matter. It's so unbearably shallow.
Peter Sellers films will be banned next--the ones where he plays the part of an Indian.
I mean FFS. Indians really DO speak like that! Their ridiculous accent lends itself to comedy, and I'm pretty sure they couldn't give a flying fack, any more than I would give a flying fack if they made fun of Europeans in their Bollywood movies!

Peter sellers! He was a comic genius, love his films...so funny
vegetariantaxidermy

Davyboi wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:04 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:50 pm It's just moronic yanks playing at being 'tolerant and empathetic'. They really don't know how, so they go completely over the top over things that don't matter. It's so unbearably shallow.

Yes. I was just looking at those clips and they can still make me laugh out loud. Love looking at the retro decor too.
Davyboi

Post by Davyboi »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:05 pm

Yes. I was just looking at those clips and they can still make me laugh out loud. Love looking at the retro decor too.
Just watched the YouTube posts, :D :D :D :D :D
Carry on films also the best
Davyboi

Post by Davyboi »

Davyboi wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:51 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:05 pm
Just watched the YouTube posts, :D :D :D :D :D
Carry on films also the best
This could be a topic? The best comedy scenes that make people laugh? Or best films? X
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

If only PC meant Polite and Considerate, all but the uncouth could sign up for it. But, alas, Political Correctness has gone too far. So far that, whether you are pro or con, you can see that this is now a political movement that aims to do more than outlaw housing discrimination.

If PC were only about politeness and being considerate, it would mean that no one should be called by an epithet. It would mean that everyone should be treated courteously. It would mean that everyone would be treated respectfully, at least outwardly.

PC wasn’t supposed to regulate our feelings, no matter how hateful or even violent they could be. PC was supposed to allow us to have the freedom to think and feel as we wanted. Only our actions, our observable behavior, were meant to be constrained.

PC seems to be telling us what’s right and what's wrong about our thoughts and feelings. What we speak is tied to what we think and feel. Consequently, if there are PC rules about speech, it seems as though they are trying to make rules about thoughts and feelings, too.

This political movement not only seeks to eliminate unpleasant actions and results that are based on someone’s race, or based on other characteristics, but it also tries to enforce favorable results based on someone’s race or other factors.

In other words, you’ve got racial, or some other kind of, discrimination either way. On the one hand, PC says it’s wrong to base negative actions on someone’s group identity, but on the other hand, the hypocritical hand, it is right to base positive actions on someone’s group identity.

Here's what's important: I believe everyone should be allowed to harbor hatred, so long as they keep it under wraps. I believe everyone should want to live an unhateful life. As for me, I want to live ethically and politely.
vegetariantaxidermy

commonsense wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:56 pm If only PC meant Polite and Considerate, all but the uncouth could sign up for it. But, alas, Political Correctness has gone too far. So far that, whether you are pro or con, you can see that this is now a political movement that aims to do more than outlaw housing discrimination.

If PC were only about politeness and being considerate, it would mean that no one should be called by an epithet. It would mean that everyone should be treated courteously. It would mean that everyone would be treated respectfully, at least outwardly.

PC wasn’t supposed to regulate our feelings, no matter how hateful or even violent they could be. PC was supposed to allow us to have the freedom to think and feel as we wanted. Only our actions, our observable behavior, were meant to be constrained.

PC seems to be telling us what’s right and what's wrong about our thoughts and feelings. What we speak is tied to what we think and feel. Consequently, if there are PC rules about speech, it seems as though they are trying to make rules about thoughts and feelings, too.

This political movement not only seeks to eliminate unpleasant actions and results that are based on someone’s race, or based on other characteristics, but it also tries to enforce favorable results based on someone’s race or other factors.

In other words, you’ve got racial, or some other kind of, discrimination either way. On the one hand, PC says it’s wrong to base negative actions on someone’s group identity, but on the other hand, the hypocritical hand, it is right to base positive actions on someone’s group identity.

Here's what's important: I believe everyone should be allowed to harbor hatred, so long as they keep it under wraps. I believe everyone should want to live an unhateful life. As for me, I want to live ethically and politely.
Well said. Not even the flora and fauna are safe. Here, we have a PC political lobby that brainwashes everyone with the idea that anything 'native' is somehow sacred and virtuous, while 'evil colonialist' trees, plants and animals i.e. anything that is beautiful and smells nice or is interesting and useful in the garden, must be eradicated at all costs. Their unscientific bullshit deprives everyone of oaks, elms, willows, honeysuckle, jasmine, hedgehogs, possums, ravens, parakeets...... the list goes on, and we end up with hideous and actually decidedly unnatural 'flower' beds of 'sacrosanct' (but bloody ugly) flax, tussock, and other nondescript bushy pubic hair type of stuff. What the stupid wankers don't seem to realise is that they, themselves, are far from 'native', and that human-caused loss of habitat is the main cause of environmental destruction--NOT an endearing little hedgehog snuffling around for slugs and snails in the garden. Of course, they don't have a problem with the huge environmental harm that dairy farms do because there's money in dairy farming. If they were genuine (non-existent in the PC world) they would remove themselves the fuck out of this country and go and live somewhere in darkest Africa (without any modern conveniences)--the only place where humans are 'native'.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

who is this Apu you guys are talking about - and how is he racist?

only Apu i know of is via 3 indian actors playing the character via the 3 movie (apu trilogy).

all exellent movies about the univeral condition of being a poor smuck.

no racism in any of those 3 movies - just bleak reality, (minus Virtue Signaling/playing the victim - neither in vouge 60 yrs ago -- but oh so popular/common today.

so ignore my inquary and reference to a trilogy long ago forgotten in a now crass and shallow culture.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Davyboi wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:45 pm
And as for APU I am biased, I fooking love the character...I know it's childish and silly, but Simpsons won't be the same without him..
oh THAT Cartoon quicki mark - character.

ingore my prior post...............why am i here?

lol.

sad.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Sellers was tops! - not a snowflake and LOL over "The Party" clip (I never heard of this movie - now must view/find it - loved Sellers in Panther, Strangelove and esp "Being there" movies.

sad he had to die so young, such a tallent. ;-/.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

commonsense wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:56 pm If only PC meant Polite and Considerate, all but the uncouth could sign up for it. But, alas, Political Correctness has gone too far. So far that, whether you are pro or con, you can see that this is now a political movement that aims to do more than outlaw housing discrimination.

Amen - 100% so as you stated.

and why i hate PC (tribalism)

WTF happened? - back in the 70's me and my culture strived to be colorblind - a raceless/sexless universal humanity. I view i concured with as a 70's kid - but my culture left me after the 70's!!!!!!

WTF happened, i'm still a universal humanist, while my nation/culture left me for tribalism/PC shit!!!!!!

WFT happened, when and why?

;-(.