The Mind/Body Dualism as Distortive

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Greta

Re: The Mind/Body Dualism as Distortive

Post by Greta »

You did not reference my post at all so I have no idea what you are saying in reply to it.
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Eodnhoj7 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:46 pm
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:35 am
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:25 pm If there is no mind body problem, and they are effectively unified, the problem occurs as a result of any act of division where unity is distorted through measurement.
As usual you are beating around too many bushes.

You have to define the context of the issue, e.g. the common one as in;
Mind–body dualism, or mind–body duality, is a view in the philosophy of mind that mental phenomena are, in some respects, non-physical,[1] or that the mind and body are distinct and separable.
Dualism is closely associated with the thought of René Descartes (1641), which holds that the mind is a nonphysical—and therefore, non-spatial—substance. Descartes clearly identified the mind with consciousness and self-awareness and distinguished this from the brain as the seat of intelligence.[6] Hence, he was the first to formulate the mind–body problem in the form in which it exists today.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind%E2%80%93body_dualism
The idea of the mind as separate from the body arise from a defensive mechanism [psychological] in the fact of an existential threat, i.e. inevitable mortality.

This defensive mechanism triggers the idea of an independent mind from the body, i.e. a soul that can survive physical death, thus with adherence to certain belief the idea of eternal life can be promised to believers.

The solution to the issue of such dualism is to address the root causes, i.e. the psychology of the inherent defense mechanism.
You keep arguing root sources, but when a root source is observed you are left arguing a continuum to further root causes and you look back to a defense mechanism you are left justifying infinitely.
Infinitely??? Your thinking re continuum re above is too narrow.

When you have a weed problem in your favorite lawn, the solution is to deal with weeds down to its roots.
Of course the fact that you have a lawn can also be a 'root' issue, but surely you are not going to get rid of the lawn [cover it with concrete] to solve the weed problem?

Thus we have to look into the context regarding what are the proximate causes to solve a problem optimally. It would be dumb to think of the continuum to infinity in such a case.

The root causes of the mind-body dualism is psychology, i.e. restricted to existential psychology. When we are able to rewire the neurons [fool proof methods] we will be able to resolve the mind-body dualism at its root level within the brain/mind.

You should check your thinking and do not allow it to be too loose.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:14 am
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:46 pm
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:35 am
As usual you are beating around too many bushes.

You have to define the context of the issue, e.g. the common one as in;

The idea of the mind as separate from the body arise from a defensive mechanism [psychological] in the fact of an existential threat, i.e. inevitable mortality.

This defensive mechanism triggers the idea of an independent mind from the body, i.e. a soul that can survive physical death, thus with adherence to certain belief the idea of eternal life can be promised to believers.

The solution to the issue of such dualism is to address the root causes, i.e. the psychology of the inherent defense mechanism.
You keep arguing root sources, but when a root source is observed you are left arguing a continuum to further root causes and you look back to a defense mechanism you are left justifying infinitely.
Infinitely??? Your thinking re continuum re above is too narrow.

When you have a weed problem in your favorite lawn, the solution is to deal with weeds down to its roots.
Of course the fact that you have a lawn can also be a 'root' issue, but surely you are not going to get rid of the lawn [cover it with concrete] to solve the weed problem?

Thus we have to look into the context regarding what are the proximate causes to solve a problem optimally. It would be dumb to think of the continuum to infinity in such a case.

The root causes of the mind-body dualism is psychology, i.e. restricted to existential psychology. When we are able to rewire the neurons [fool proof methods] we will be able to resolve the mind-body dualism at its root level within the brain/mind.

You should check your thinking and do not allow it to be too loose.
So what neurons are responsible for rewiring neurons? Are these neurons aware of zombie parasites?
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Eodnhoj7 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:42 am So what neurons are responsible for rewiring neurons? Are these neurons aware of zombie parasites?
Those neurons responsible for rewiring neurons and to understand the zombie parasites are neighbors to the neurons that trigger you to ask the above question. 'Google' your own brain to explore and investigate yourself to find out more.

FYI, the brain has over 100 billion neurons each with up to 10,000 connectors [synapses].
This is like there are 100 billion humans on Earth each using up to 10,000 smart phones connecting to various others.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:29 am
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:42 am So what neurons are responsible for rewiring neurons? Are these neurons aware of zombie parasites?
Those neurons responsible for rewiring neurons and to understand the zombie parasites are neighbors to the neurons that trigger you to ask the above question. 'Google' your own brain to explore and investigate yourself to find out more.

FYI, the brain has over 100 billion neurons each with up to 10,000 connectors [synapses].
This is like there are 100 billion humans on Earth each using up to 10,000 smart phones connecting to various others.
So Google will give me all my answers? Is Google a god?