The thoughts of Nisargadatta Maharaj

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dontaskme

Re: The thoughts of Nisargadatta Maharaj

Post by Dontaskme »

Bliss is the natural state.

Bliss oh bliss .. I want to vanish inside your kiss.

“Bliss is not a feeling but a state of being. In the state of bliss, everything is loved.”

Walker

Post by Walker »

Luxin wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:09 pm Allowing my friend the truly great Mr. Lao to speak....

Truthful words are not beautiful.
Beautiful words are not truthful.
Those who know are not learned.
The learned do not know.

(Lao Tzu, Daodejing 81)
Did the great one speak smugly?
Walker

Post by Walker »

“There are so many who take the dawn for the noon, a momentary experience for full realization and destroy even the little they gain by excess of pride. Humility and silence are essential for a sadhaka, however advanced. Only a fully ripened gnani can allow himself complete spontaneity.”

- Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
Walker

Post by Walker »

Dontaskme wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:43 am Bliss is the natural state.

“Bliss is not a feeling but a state of being. In the state of bliss, everything is loved.”

Honestly now, would you kiss Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj?

He smoked bidis incessantly. Coughed up a lot of phlegm. Very sweaty. Blew his big nose quite a bit. No teeth, no dentures. When he spoke he tended to shout over the street noises that rode in through the open window, all clammy with the odors of the public toilet outside. He spoke quickly, impatiently, and would scream at people to get out of his room if they were idiots. He said that when his wife died, he was set free.

Would your how, be to close your eyes and imagine such a creature floating serenely above it all, one with everything?

Do you think, or believe, that Lao smelled as fresh as a summer's breeze?
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Dontaskme wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:43 am Bliss is the natural state.

The above only sounds blissful to you because you are ignorant of your own self.

To facilitate survival, all human beings are "programmed" [no programmer] with the pleasure and pain neural-module.

What is blissful is generated from a secondary sub-circuit of the pleasure circuit in combination with emotions, e.g. love emotion.

In general the normal person can amplify their state of bliss and love via drugs, e.g. MDMA, i.e.
3,4-Methyl​enedioxy​methamphetamine (MDMA),[note 1] commonly known as ecstasy (E), is a psychoactive drug primarily used as a recreational drug.[13]
The desired effects include altered sensations and increased energy, empathy, and pleasure.[13][14]
When taken by mouth, effects begin after 30–45 minutes and last 3–6 hours.

The desired short-term psychoactive effects of MDMA have been reported to include:
  • Euphoria – a sense of general well-being and happiness[13][28]
    Increased self-confidence, sociability and feelings of communication being easy or simple[4][13][28]
    Entactogenic effects – increased empathy or feelings of closeness with others[13][28] and oneself[4]
    Relaxation and reduced anxiety[4]
    Increased emotionality[4]
    A sense of inner peace[28]
    Mild hallucination[28]
    Enhanced sensation, perception, or sexuality[4][13][28]
    Altered sense of time[15]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MDMA
Those who take MDMA could experience bliss and loving a 100 folds in comparison to their normal conscious state.

The above can be achieved via many other psychedelic drugs which has none or various degrees of negative side effects.

What you have had experienced could just be a temporary [perhaps a permanent] aberration that induced whatever degree of bliss.
Walker

Post by Walker »

That is still a dualistic experience. Awareness, plus objects of mind.

Sensory deprivation tanks remove the world from the senses, but not the senses from the mind. Objects of mind continue unabated.

Pratyahara, which is associated with yoga but not proprietary to yoga, much as mindfulness is not proprietary to Buddhism, removes the senses from the mind.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Question: If you would talk like this in the West, people would take you for mad.

Maharaj: Of course, they would! To the ignorant all that they cannot understand is madness. What of it? Let them be as they are. I am as I am, for no merit of mine and they are as they are, for no fault of theirs. The Supreme Reality manifests itself in innumerable ways. Infinite in number are its names and shapes. All arise, all merge in the same ocean, the source of all is one. Looking for causes and results is but the pastime of the mind. What is, is lovable. Love is not a result, it is the very ground of being. Wherever you go, you will find being, consciousness and love. Why and what for make preferences?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:53 am
What you have had experienced could just be a temporary [perhaps a permanent] aberration that induced whatever degree of bliss.

Nah, I'm just a really smart awakened woman who could instantly see straight through the bullshit that is the illusion of separation.

Everything is me and I am everything.

I've never taken a single drug inducer substance in my entire life. There is no reaching for what you already ARE ..I knew this instinctively.

I was smart enough to know myself naturally. I never allow toxic stuff including people anywhere near my inner temple of light.

I'm so high right now. I highly recommend this feeling. It's divine intelligence.

I'm very smart and I'm extremely intelligent because I choose to walk and live in the light.

Veritas Aequitas

Dontaskme wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:48 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:53 am

Nah, I'm just a really smart awakened woman who could instantly see straight through the bullshit that is the illusion of separation.

Everything is me and I am everything.

I've never taken a single drug inducer substance in my entire life. There is no reaching for what you already ARE ..I knew this instinctively.

I was smart enough to know myself naturally. I never allow toxic stuff including people anywhere near my inner temple of light.

I'm so high right now. I highly recommend this feeling. It's divine intelligence.

I did not state you took drugs.
It could be some kind of temporary brain aberration, madness, certain stress situations.
The neurons in the brain are very compact and a small change can trigger significant consequences [experience of altered state of consciousness] like what those who took hallucinogens/psychedelics, long term meditators and others.
I'm very smart and I'm extremely intelligent because I choose to walk and live in the light.
Definitely not based on the contents of your postings.
Veritas Aequitas

Walker wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:09 am That is still a dualistic experience. Awareness, plus objects of mind.

Sensory deprivation tanks remove the world from the senses, but not the senses from the mind. Objects of mind continue unabated.

Pratyahara, which is associated with yoga but not proprietary to yoga, much as mindfulness is not proprietary to Buddhism, removes the senses from the mind.
The is no absolute self, i.e. a permanent "I" that survives physical death.
What we have is the empirical self which has a hierarchy of selves which could be conscious or subconscious.

It is obvious the waking self is different in form to the sleeping self and the dreaming self.
Then there is the subconscious non-waking MCS

The Minimally Conscious State [MCS]
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=25317

As long at the MCS is not extinguished [as in a corpse] it will be a base for duality between the various selves within the hierarchy of selves.

Yes, mindfulness is not proprietary to Buddhism but it was Buddhism which recognize it and make it formal as a principle and practice.
This is the same with gravity which existed as long since humans emerged but it was Einstein who make it formal as a scientific theory.
Walker

Post by Walker »

"It is obvious the waking self is different in form to the sleeping self and the dreaming self."
That depends on your pov, which derives from knowledge and experience rather than belief, belief which is the delusion that clouds apprehension to full capacity of incarnation, and which affects interpretation of data in subtle ways called blind spots.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:08 amDefinitely not based on the contents of your postings.
I'm not referring to that kind of intelligence, I'm referring to the kind of intelliegnce that doesn't depend on a brain.

Seems like you judge intelligence based on some superficial illusory knowledge that is nothing more than shallow surface-mind mentality, and has nothing to do with real intelligence which operates beneath surface mind at a much much deeper level.

Walker

Post by Walker »

So, what’s your take on "saints licking lepers" in terms of intent, cause and effect, state of mind, etc?
Veritas Aequitas

Dontaskme wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:42 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:08 amDefinitely not based on the contents of your postings.
I'm not referring to that kind of intelligence, I'm referring to the kind of intelliegnce that doesn't depend on a brain.

Seems like you judge intelligence based on some superficial illusory knowledge that is nothing more than shallow surface-mind mentality, and has nothing to do with real intelligence which operates beneath surface mind at a much much deeper level.
What you thought is intelligence on your part is actually your stupidity in conflating the wrong premises.

What you are alluding to is 'intelligence' in terms of "Intelligent design," i.e.
I have proven the existence of God as real is an impossibility.

Why you believe in the Absolute [aka God] is because you have suppressed your conventional intelligence to make your stupid in this case. All this is because of that inherent unavoidable existence crisis within your psyche.
Veritas Aequitas

Walker wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:19 am So, what’s your take on "saints licking lepers" in terms of intent, cause and effect, state of mind, etc?
If that is addressed to me, I thought I have given my point of view on the above in another post.

Do you think those saints who licked lepers has the power of a God in them to kill the leprosy germs?

Instead of speculating, it would be best to put such things and happenings to the test, i.e. scientific tests.
If it is really a hypothesis that is possible, I am sure scientists would be very interested to find the reasons and cause & effect so that they can come up with something to prevent leprosy.