Overpopulation & the elderly

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Greta

Re: Overpopulation & the elderly

Post by Greta »

Skip wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:58 amWell, they had to make suicide a mortal sin, because they were promising the serfs a beautiful afterlife, but had no intention of making this life less miserable. The believing poor would have rushed off to the good place in droves, long before the elite squoze the last erg of menial labour out of them.
Couldn't have that!
Couldn't have them demanding less misery, either, so it was necessary to make suffering into a beatitude.
Yes, these are nasty old world stitch ups that stemmed from a time where most people saw slavery or torture as either routine or entertaining.

Another Abrahamic stitch up that still works is not allowing any questioning of religious claims, no matter how spurious. Any questioning was seen as either a sign of evil or weak faith.
Skip

Post by Skip »

On the up-side, you get to stomp all over heathen and backsliders.
BTW One of my favourite things on TV these days is Young Sheldon's bouts with his pastor. So refreshing!
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"I don't doubt that your convictions are clear in your own head, but perhaps you have not previously consolidated them in communicable form."

No, my error was in misjudging the audience.
Skip

Post by Skip »

Of course. I'm just too dense to peel the sentimental foledrol off the libertarian cant.
henry quirk

my, but you are one prickly person

Post by henry quirk »

I didn't say diddly about you, or anyone, bein' dense...didn't imply it either, so this one's on you, buddy.

Now, I'm done with this.

You can have the last word...
Skip

Post by Skip »

Adieu
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Henry, I do this all the time when answering any post by anyone.There is not space to write a long essay here.The bit I cut and pasted from your post was an important point, and I actually like your style.