The thoughts of Nisargadatta Maharaj

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dontaskme

Re: The thoughts of Nisargadatta Maharaj

Post by Dontaskme »

Greta wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:31 am You don't need religiosity to experience such things at all.
God is not religious. Neither is man for that matter, for man is a manifestion of spirit energy that is not religious. God is just another word for infinite spirit energy, that imbues this spirit energy as and through the mind body organism that is man. Man in turn is imbued with faith and belief. Without faith and belief in the movie of I ..there is no movie. God is the giver, man is the reciever, both giver and receiver are one in spirit. Giving and receiving in the same instant. For without a receiver there is nothing to give, and there is no giving without a reciever.

Greta

Post by Greta »

Like many, DAM, you fall victim to the idea that there is only one proper way to live.

People find all sorts of ways of living and they don't necessarily need belief in the unsubstantiated to truly live. Mythology is only one conduit, albeit the most traditional one, towards personal growth but thankfully it is far from the only means.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Greta wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:50 pm Like many, DAM, you fall victim to the idea that there is only one proper way to live.

People find all sorts of ways of living and they don't necessarily need belief in the unsubstantiated to truly live. Mythology is only one conduit, albeit the most traditional one, towards personal growth but thankfully it is far from the only means.
Traditional mythology looks to the past.

The modern-day version of mythology looks to the future.
(cutting edge)

Modern-day mythology is scientific projection into the future.

When mythology exists in the future, it can claim science now, because no man or woman knows the future for sure.

Come to think of it, by this reasoning, because it’s really just an educated guess, Global Warming is the mythology of the future.

Can you refute the reasoning without trying to cause harm?
Greta

Post by Greta »

https://journals.openedition.org/ejas/10305
The concerted effort to discredit the scientific consensus over man-made global warming has been continuing for two decades in the United States, and shows no sign of weakening. It is very often described as an attempt on the part of corporate America, most notably the fossil fuel industries, to hinder governmental regulations on their activities.

While emphasising this dimension of the US climate denial movement ... two additional factors which have been instrumental in blocking strong climate action.

First, climate denial stems from the strong ideological commitment of small-government conservatives and libertarians to laisser-faire and their strong opposition to regulation. Second, in order to disarm their opponents, US climate deniers often rest their case on the defence of the American way of life, defined by high consumption and ever-expanding material prosperity.
Walker

Post by Walker »

First, climate denial stems from ...

Science is about truth, not about imaginary solidarity of belief, science isn't even a consensus about changing the language; or believing what other people say. For instance, no one makes the petty claim of denying that climate exists, as you say, which just drags things along. Next thing, you'll be calling border jumpers, "immigrants." :roll:

"Strong climate action" = $15 trillion to Al Gore. No thankez-vous.

Just sayin, the boiler-plate propaganda is a bit tedious.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Greta wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:31 am Jill Bolte-Taylor is actually a keen atheist. Her experienced did not change her views there. Rather, she is positing that life itself contains this joyful boundless aspect to it that we are generally too busy being sensible and practical to notice. You don't need religiosity to experience such things at all.
I cracked the code.

There are two JBTs. One is atheist, honest, straightforward, and a reliable scientist with dignity.

The other is a money-hungry b!tch, who lies through her teeth to gain audiences for her Internet pages and for her inspirational speeches.

I actually made a google search on the term "the OTHER Jill Bolte-Taylor" and there she was. The other one.

This is a repeatable experience-- anyone can try it.
Greta

Post by Greta »

-1- wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:06 pm
Greta wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:31 am Jill Bolte-Taylor is actually a keen atheist. Her experienced did not change her views there. Rather, she is positing that life itself contains this joyful boundless aspect to it that we are generally too busy being sensible and practical to notice. You don't need religiosity to experience such things at all.
I cracked the code.

There are two JBTs. One is atheist, honest, straightforward, and a reliable scientist with dignity.

The other is a money-hungry b!tch, who lies through her teeth to gain audiences for her Internet pages and for her inspirational speeches.

I actually made a google search on the term "the OTHER Jill Bolte-Taylor" and there she was. The other one.

This is a repeatable experience-- anyone can try it.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Greta wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:23 pm Image
But Greta, how can you sprout so confidently without even trying the search term?
Greta

Post by Greta »

I did do some searching to see if any mud had been thrown.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Greta wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:14 am I did do some searching to see if any mud had been thrown.
From how I see her, she is not worth the effort to throw mud in her direction. (except for this bit.) Posterity will prove her wrong, as I prophesied, or not, but if I am a worthwhile prophet, then with all her profits she's made she'll laugh at me, and -- sorry to say so -- will laugh at her followers, who took her speech at face value.

This is not against you, Greta, it is against someone who I strongly believe is a charlatan. She declares she is an atheist, but she is instead a wolf in sheep's skin because her speech is full of religious innuendos and godly undertones.
Last edited by -1- on Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Greta wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:50 pm Like many, DAM, you fall victim to the idea that there is only one proper way to live.
This is your projection, its not how I see reality at all. What you believe about ''others'' is your own mind which is self-deceiving you. Nothing you are thinking about is in the mind of 'another' your personal thoughts about 'others' are only ever in your own mind.

What we don't agree with about others, is never there in the other, projections cannot exist outside of you, they are all sourced from you, and that goes the same for every mind, as we are all holographic projections of consciousness, we're all one consciousness with different mind maps.

It's our own self-deceptive mind selfishly projecting its dislikes into the world of others because of its refusal to address the issue within itself.The minds only purpose in life is to serve its own selfish desires and need in order to survive at any cost. We are all unconsciously doing this projecting all the time.

Until one knows what consciousness is ...we will continue to live in the self-deceptive world of mind made beliefs, and concepts taken as blind facts based purely on faith alone, what we only ''think'' is real and true....everything we think we know about reality can be none other than our own mentally constructed fictional story based on faith, belief and concepts...or, of 'others' mentally constructed stories feeding off of those as well.

All the so called empirical evidences in the world are still based on faith, belief, and concepts...in other words evidence is still based on there being a ''someone'' who believes, but this is still blind facts based on faith. This is the reality of the world of human mind maps and models.

But all these personal mind maps and models still begs the hardest question of all ...what is CONSCIOUSNESS? what is conscious of all empirical evidence and can that be seen, or known....and the answer is NO

No one knows what consciousness is ... including me. Therefore, life is nothing but a mentally construed dreamscape experiencially true in the mind of the believer, in the mind of the experiencer, via direct experience.

What this truly means is what Absolute Infinity for eternity actually represents. Basically just about anything and everything possible will be possible in the mind of the believer, perceiver as direct experience.

Absolutely nothing is set in stone.

Greta

Post by Greta »

-1- wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:24 am... her speech is full of religious innuendos and godly undertones.
She was in a state of extraordinary bliss and peacefulness and she used emotional (not necessarily religious) language.

Her point is just that reality itself offers these wonderful states that many have never known, just as she'd not experienced such a state before. You don't need to believe in anything, and her talk makes it clear.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:25 am
This is your projection, its not how I see reality at all. What you believe about ''others'' is your own mind which is self-deceiving you. Nothing you are thinking about is in the mind of 'another' your personal thoughts about 'others' are only ever in your own mind.
Yeah, bewdy. I'm excited and I can't hide it.

Life and consciousness, of course, are famously ephemeral because they are entirely about feedback, cycles of interaction which famously muddy the concept of "self" and "environment". It seems to me that you intuitively sense this feedback dynamic but, lacking any kind of scientific lexicon at your disposal, you unconsciously try to represent this by constantly arguing in faulty circles.

Yes, that idea is in my own mind too. A terrific response to any given comment, isn't it? "it's just an idea in your mind". Gosh. Who'd have imagined that thoughts are within people's minds? (which many posit is also imaginary blah blah).
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Greta wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:31 am It seems to me that you intuitively sense this feedback dynamic but, lacking any kind of scientific lexicon at your disposal, you unconsciously try to represent this by constantly arguing in faulty circles.
Just expressing myself from my own direct experience. I trust only in that, for that is all I can know for now.

Science goes round in circles too, don't make science your God of the all knowing, science has no clue as to what is Consciousness.

So yeah, we live in our own minds, yet, we have no clue what a mind is. So arguing is always with yourself of course.

As long as the mind identifies with its own concepts, ideas and beliefs about itself, taken purely on blind faith as actual fact,it will never understand itself, not that there is anything to understand anyway, for theres no one home to whom that understanding would penetrate.

This the work of the trickless trickster.

You can now bash me again, if it makes you look and feel better.

Greta

Post by Greta »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:11 amScience goes round in circles too, don't make science your God of the all knowing, science has no clue as to what is Consciousness.
This is just garble.

Science isn't a deity, science is not any of the things you claim it is. Science is simply what you do as a child when you are curious. Some people remain curious and want to keep exploring and learning. Others like to think they already have all the answers they need and are not much interested in learning anything new.