Hi from the Pacific Northwest in the US

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Sage-ish

Hi from the Pacific Northwest in the US

Post by Sage-ish »

It is my belief that most of us seek out a forum to find others of like mind. Such is the case for me. I remember when I was eight and asked my nine-year-old cousin had she ever thought about where she lived in her body. She looked at me like I was nuts and ignored the question. I had an inkling then that she and I were not of like mind. Umpteen years later this is still true.

I'm an author of literary/visionary fiction and an artist. I became a writer after my brother committed horrific crimes. A couple of my books are nonfiction. I paint and design my own cover art. I live in the mountains/boonies with a husband, two cats and myriad wild turkeys, deer, bushy-tailed grey squirrels and tiny rabbits.
mickthinks

Re: Hi from the Pacific Northwest in the US

Post by mickthinks »

Sage-ish, welcome to the bear garden that is the Philosophy Now Forum!

If you are looking for the warm companionship of like minds, I can confidently predict you will not find it here. Here we have a collection of competitive egos, few of whom are capable either of sustaining a proper argument or of recognising when they have been met by a better one. The result can be exasperating and dispiriting, and you may find that you lose the appetite for it and stop visiting. Or you may find that you can ignore the chaff and the flack and focus on the purveyors of worth, maybe half a dozen honest thinkers who will treat you with respect and whom you will come to respect in return.

I've been coming here since I was in kindergarten. I'm glad you made it.
Sage-ish

Post by Sage-ish »

mickthinks,
Thank you for your candid opinion. I was beginning to think ego is king here and debating about whether to put up with such immaturity or not. One site I was on I kept getting rude crude sexual remarks from guys who wanted the obvious. I finally decided that was ridiculous and dumped the site. In another some one got mad at another person there, that I had befriended, a gal who attempted suicide and took it out on me. I dumped that site. Yesterday I experienced major immaturity from one of the people here, and I will decide if it's worth staying. The anonymity of the internet brings out the festering minds, those who can only win by belittling others.
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

Despite the egos there is interesting debate here on a regular basis on multiple topics so hopefully that will make you want to stay
I do not know who the immature one is you refer to but there is an ignore feature which blocks the posts of anyone you do not like