Meaning of 'Islam'?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Veritas Aequitas

Meaning of 'Islam'?

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

It very common many non-Muslims and even some Muslims are misinformed what the term 'Islam' actually means due to ignorance or an intended deception to portray Islam as a religion of peace - as such to all of humanity.

Example this post;
Anon wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:41 am To make it even easier and simpler for you to understand. I have heard that the word 'Islam', literally, means peace.
And, 'Muslim', literally, means follower of peace.
Therefore, the world would be a much better place if EVERYONE is a follower of, what leads to, peace.
Do you find any thing wrong with that?
The above is wrong!
'Islam' do not literally means 'peace'.
Thus 'Muslim' do not literally, means follower of peace.

I find this wiki article give a very good representation of what is 'Islam' as reflected in the Quran [as I have read it].
Islam (Arabic: إسلام‎, IPA: [alʔɪsˈlaːm] (About this sound listen)) is a verbal noun originating from the triliteral root S-L-M which forms a large class of words mostly relating to concepts of wholeness, submission, safeness, and peace.[43]

In a religious context it means "voluntary submission to God".[44][45] Islām is the verbal noun of Form IV of the root, and means "submission" or "surrender".

Muslim, the word for an adherent of Islam, is the active participle of the same verb form, and means "submitter" or "one who surrenders".

The word sometimes has distinct connotations in its various occurrences in the Quran.

In some verses, there is stress on the quality of Islam as an internal spiritual state:
"Whomsoever God desires to guide, He opens his heart to Islam."[46]

Other verses connect Islam and religion (dīn) together:
"Today, I have perfected your religion (dīn) for you; I have completed My blessing upon you;
I have approved Islam for your religion."[47]

Still others describe Islam as an action of returning to God—more than just a verbal affirmation of faith.[48]

In the Hadith of Gabriel, islām is presented as one part of a triad that also includes imān (faith), and ihsān (excellence).[49][50]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam#Ety ... nd_meaning
Therefore "Islam" do not literally means 'peace.'

The confusion arise from the trilateral root of Islam, i.e. Siin-Lam-Miim
which comprised of a range of meanings, i.e.
  • safety/security/freedom/immunity, to escape, salutation/greeting/peace, deliver/acknowledge, pay in advance, submit, sincerity, humility, submission/conformance/obedience, resign/quit/relinquish, to be in sound condition, well without blemish, gentle/tender/soft/elegant. Solomon/Sulaiman.
One of the derivative from S-L-M is 'Salam' which generally means 'peace.'
In the Quran the concept of 'peace' in the positive mode is directed only at Muslims and not to non-Muslims.

Note the common greeting of 'As salaamu 'alaykum' i.e. 'Peace Be Upon You' is not permissible to be greeted to non-Muslims.
It is not permissible – firstly – to initiate the greeting of salaam to a non-Muslim. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Do not initiate the greeting of salaam to a Jew or a Christian…” (Narrated by Muslim, 2167).
https://islamqa.info/en/6583
How can "Islam", literally means 'submission' or 'surrender' be associated with peace in general to all, when such a common greeting of peace cannot be extended to non-Muslims?

Thus 'Islam' do not literally means 'peace.'
The word for peace in Arabic is 'salam' and this term is not extended to non-Muslims in a positive mode.

To understand the real ethos of Islam one will have to read the Quran thoroughly to understand its attitude towards non-believers which is generally negative.

Re: Meaning of 'Islam'?

Post by Age »

You are so blinded by the distorted beliefs that your have already gained that you can not even see the truth in what I write.

If you keep having those APE beliefs, then you will keep having those totally distorted human views of truth and reality.
Veritas Aequitas

Age wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:11 pm You are so blinded by the distorted beliefs that your have already gained that you can not even see the truth in what I write.

If you keep having those APE beliefs, then you will keep having those totally distorted human views of truth and reality.
Note I put 'Anon' to represent a general misconception [which is very common] not specific to you.
Show what I have presented above is distorted and is different from what is in the Quran, i.e. which the words direct from God.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Age wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:11 pm You are so blinded by the distorted beliefs that your have already gained that you can not even see the truth in what I write.

But Veritas Aequitas is right, and soon islam shall be undone! Isa bin Maryam shall destroy all religion!
Humans are simply too stupid for religion!

The quran has been rewritten a lot and ancient qurans clearly shows it's true colors in being a satanic book! The Satanic Verses has been removed, so it can be a wolf hiding in sheeps clothing, claiming to be a religion of peace, when muslims love to kill, so much that they kill their own in honor killings ..but thou shalt not kill, so they kill, wage war, kill each other, their fellow muslim brothers!

Muslims takes up criminal statistics around the world, being the greatest trouble makers!

Sure there are good and honest muslims, I've had many muslim friends over the years.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:56 am In a religious context it means "voluntary submission to God".[44][45] Islām is the verbal noun of Form IV of the root, and means "submission" or "surrender".
This is correct.

If translated properly, we should not say "Islam is the religion of peace," but rather, "Islam is the religion of pacification" -- meaning the only "peace" that will come is supposed to be when all people are forced into submission to Allah. Theirs is the "peace" of the slave-camp and the graveyard.

If you are not in "submission" to Islam, you are considered to be part of what they call "Dar Al Harb," meaning "Land (or literally, 'house') of War," i.e. the place with which Islam can never be at peace.

What a lot of people in the West don't understand is that Islam regards the Dar Al Harb, par excellence, as being comprised of those who worship no God, or who worship multiple gods. So Atheists and Polytheists are the worst of the worst, so far as Islam is concerned. Theists of different kinds, like Christians and Jews, can still exist under the regime of the Dar Al Salam, or "House of Peace," but only under both heavy taxation and denial of rights of children, as "dhimmies"; but Atheists and agnostics cannot. They get lined up on the beach, and have their throats slit first.

So if you're reading this, and you're an Atheist or agnostic, do not look for mercy from the Islamists. They hate Jews and Christians, but they hate you most of all. They just won't say so, until they're done with you. They'll use you, and especially play you on your Western liberal sense of justice, so long as they remain in the minority and can see an advantage in using your naive Humanism, your multicultural ideology, and your sense of historical guilt against you.

But just wait until they rule, and you'll find out how willing they really are to negotiate with you. Answer: not at all. Just check out any place in the world where Islam reigns, and you'll see your own future writ small.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:36 amThey hate Jews and Christians, but they hate you most of all. They just won't say so, until they're done with you. They'll use you, and especially play you on your Western liberal sense of justice, so long as they remain in the minority and can see an advantage in using your naive Humanism, your multicultural ideology, and your sense of historical guilt against you.

But just wait until they rule, and you'll find out how willing they really are to negotiate with you. Answer: not at all. Just check out any place in the world where Islam reigns, and you'll see your own future writ small.
Pure nonsense! It's ONLY because USA and EU has destabilized the middle east that they hate israelis and christians, else in Iran they like jews, especially when Krumani said he liked jews, you will even find jews in the Iranian senate!

For thousands of years jews, christians and muslims has peacefully coexisted. If you travel to muslim countries you will find that they will welcome you with open arms, unlike christians since THE most important things to a muslims are his god and the guest!
..though, don't visit the rebels created by USA or Israel they will cut off your head!
Veritas Aequitas

Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:36 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:56 am In a religious context it means "voluntary submission to God".[44][45] Islām is the verbal noun of Form IV of the root, and means "submission" or "surrender".
This is correct.

If translated properly, we should not say "Islam is the religion of peace," but rather, "Islam is the religion of pacification" -- meaning the only "peace" that will come is supposed to be when all people are forced into submission to Allah. Theirs is the "peace" of the slave-camp and the graveyard.

If you are not in "submission" to Islam, you are considered to be part of what they call "Dar Al Harb," meaning "Land (or literally, 'house') of War," i.e. the place with which Islam can never be at peace.

What a lot of people in the West don't understand is that Islam regards the Dar Al Harb, par excellence, as being comprised of those who worship no God, or who worship multiple gods. So Atheists and Polytheists are the worst of the worst, so far as Islam is concerned. Theists of different kinds, like Christians and Jews, can still exist under the regime of the Dar Al Salam, or "House of Peace," but only under both heavy taxation and denial of rights of children, as "dhimmies"; but Atheists and agnostics cannot. They get lined up on the beach, and have their throats slit first.

So if you're reading this, and you're an Atheist or agnostic, do not look for mercy from the Islamists. They hate Jews and Christians, but they hate you most of all. They just won't say so, until they're done with you. They'll use you, and especially play you on your Western liberal sense of justice, so long as they remain in the minority and can see an advantage in using your naive Humanism, your multicultural ideology, and your sense of historical guilt against you.

Good points and I agree, except I don't agree with this;
[bold = mine].
  • "They hate Jews and Christians, but they hate you most of all."
Allah in the Quran claimed Allah had sent his message to the Jews and Christians their respective 'Quran' [message].
Those Jews and Christians who had followed the original pristine book sent to them, were qualified to be called 'people of the book' and given certain preferential treatment. To be truer Muslims they have to believe in the latest Quran sent to Muhammad.

But then somewhere along the way, the Jews and Christians corrupted their original pristine Quran sent by Allah. What is most critical is the Jews and Christians have deleted and corrupted the verses that prophesy the coming of Muhammad as the last and final messenger.

There may be a few sects of original Christians during Muhammad's time but the Quran condemned the Torah and Gospels that are in the hands of the present as corrupted and divinely worthless.

Note the first chapter of the Quran, i.e. 1:7
  • 1:7. The Way of those on whom You have bestowed Your Grace, not (the way) of those who earned Your Anger (such as the Jews), nor of those who went astray (such as the Christians).
    https://www.noblequran.com/translation/
Nb: Those in () are added by the translators and explained in the full text copy and justified in the context of the whole Quran.

Within the Quran the condemnations of the Jews and Christians are specifically more explicit and pronounced along the similar tone below ( in [] mine);
  • 98:6. Lo! those [infidels] who disbelieve [KFR: kafarū], among the People of the Scripture [Jews and Christians] and the idolaters [l-mush'rikīna], will abide in fire of hell. They [Jews and Christians] are the worst [ShRR; sharru] of created beings.

7:166. So when they [Jews] took pride in that which they [Jews] had been forbidden, We said unto them [Jews]: Be ye apes despised [KhSA: khāsiīna] and loathed! [Dehumanized]

Essentially the Quran and ideology of Islam is on the primal war path against the "out-group" [non-Muslims] as with the primal instinct of "us versus them." [us = good, them = evil].
This primal instinct is inherent within the main Abrahamic religions in various degrees but the worst of it is within Islam.
Veritas Aequitas

HexHammer wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:48 am
Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:36 amThey hate Jews and Christians, but they hate you most of all. They just won't say so, until they're done with you. They'll use you, and especially play you on your Western liberal sense of justice, so long as they remain in the minority and can see an advantage in using your naive Humanism, your multicultural ideology, and your sense of historical guilt against you.

Pure nonsense! It's ONLY because USA and EU has destabilized the middle east that they hate israelis and christians, else in Iran they like jews, especially when Krumani said he liked jews, you will even find jews in the Iranian senate!

For thousands of years jews, christians and muslims has peacefully coexisted. If you travel to muslim countries you will find that they will welcome you with open arms, unlike christians since THE most important things to a muslims are his god and the guest!
..though, don't visit the rebels created by USA or Israel they will cut off your head!
Note this video showing in visual animation the 1,400 years to the present of imperialistic conquests and plundering by Muslims who were inspired by the ideology of Islam.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7y2LRcf4kc

Also read this;
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-new ... ns-8533563
on why the hatred and killing of non-Muslims is inherent in the ideology of Islam and not because of foreign policies.

That the majority of Muslims are moderates and peaceful is not because they are driven by the proper ideology of Islam which is in part inherently evil.
They are peaceful because they are peaceful human beings like the majority of other human beings.
Most of the majority of any religion are usually lay believers who do not follow the religion zealously and religiously.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:35 amNote this video showing in visual animation the 1,400 years to the present of imperialistic conquests and plundering by Muslims who were inspired by the ideology of Islam.

Also read this;
on why the hatred and killing of non-Muslims is inherent in the ideology of Islam and not because of foreign policies.

That the majority of Muslims are moderates and peaceful is not because they are driven by the proper ideology of Islam which is in part inherently evil.
They are peaceful because they are peaceful human beings like the majority of other human beings.
Most of the majority of any religion are usually lay believers who do not follow the religion zealously and religiously.
I'm sorry, those links are not serious links, any serious historian will say that it's ambitious kings, not the religion that would spread their borders, not the religion itself.

With war comes plunder ..OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Mirror spreads western propaganda.

Iran was very peaceful till the french introduced the Ayotola regime, then everything descended to chaos, they were even very western before.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/trav ... ution.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NszCNZLGuDs
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

HexHammer wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:48 am It's ONLY because USA and EU has destabilized the middle east that they hate israelis and christians...
Read the Koran and Haddiths. You'll see it's no recent historical turn of events: it's core doctrine, for them, and has been for over a thousand years.

You'll see that Christians and Jews are regarded as "People of the Book" (their term), and so can be granted "dhimmi" status rather than being forced to convert or die by the sword. (However, the dhimmi system puts relentless pressure even on Christians and Jews to convert fully or live a miserable, second class life, and to have their children raised as Muslims in spite of their wishes. But what you'll see even more -- especial from the Koran -- is that what they call "infidels," those who have no religious beliefs, are far and away the most hated of all.

All of this vastly predates "colonial" history. As for the hatred of infidels, it's never been repudiated by Islamic authorities, and it's still practiced today. Meanwhile, the nonsense about "colonial oppression" is really turning molehills into mountains -- colonialism, for all its faults, was nowhere near as nasty as they would like you to believe (If you've lived in a post-colonial country, you'd know that: you'd have seen it first hand, as I did), and in any case, it really offers no worthwhile excuse for the continued behaviour of Islamic nations with respect to women's rights, children's rights, and human rights in general: they have NO excuse for not doing a whole lot better than they are doing. Colonialism is LONG over. It's time for them to grow up and take responsibility for themselves. The excuses are just sad...but sadder still is that some Westerners are buying it, and are excusing the continued savagery out of a misplaced guilty conscience.

Meanwhile, the bellyaching about how the West has done them a permanent dirty is really no more than window dressing to impress that nervous Western conscience I was mentioning. You'll find that Islamists are great at turning western liberals into what we call "useful idiots." But when the show's over... :shock:
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:21 pmRead the Koran and Haddiths. You'll see it's no recent historical turn of events: it's core doctrine, for them, and has been for over a thousand years.

You'll see that Christians and Jews are regarded as "People of the Book" (their term), and so can be granted "dhimmi" status rather than being forced to convert or die by the sword. (However, the dhimmi system puts relentless pressure even on Christians and Jews to convert fully or live a miserable, second class life, and to have their children raised as Muslims in spite of their wishes. But what you'll see even more -- especial from the Koran -- is that what they call "infidels," those who have no religious beliefs, are far and away the most hated of all.
The Persians/Iranians abolished slavery and paid people money, they didn't hate the jews and killed them.
Ottomans allowed religious freedom, in Jerusalem there was religious freedom and muslim, christians and jews stood side by side in peace.
Sure in some countries and areas they only allowed islam, or took the jews and christians prisoners.

Not all lived in harsh interpretation of the quran and the hadiths, since both christians and jews had partially received the teachings, but only muslims had received the full, so christians and jews should still have the same respect as muslims, which not always was the case.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

HexHammer wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:57 pm Not all lived in harsh interpretation of the quran and the hadiths,
Good thing, too.

But what's important is not so much what people did in spite of the Koran and Hadiths, but rather, what does happen whenever the Koran and Hadiths are being followed consistently. What we get then is Sharia, murder, conquest, repression and misery.

That's how we test the real-world outcome of a religion: not by those cases in which people just decided not to follow it thorough, but by what happens when people have taken it perfectly seriously and did what it told them to do.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:11 pmBut what's important is not so much what people did in spite of the Koran and Hadiths, but rather, what does happen whenever the Koran and Hadiths are being followed consistently. What we get then is Sharia, murder, conquest, repression and misery.

That's how we test the real-world outcome of a religion: not by those cases in which people just decided not to follow it thorough, but by what happens when people have taken it perfectly seriously and did what it told them to do.
Soon, very soon religion will be undone!
Veritas Aequitas

HexHammer wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:49 pm
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:35 amNote this video showing in visual animation the 1,400 years to the present of imperialistic conquests and plundering by Muslims who were inspired by the ideology of Islam.

Also read this;

I'm sorry, those links are not serious links, any serious historian will say that it's ambitious kings, not the religion that would spread their borders, not the religion itself.

With war comes plunder ..OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!

Iran was very peaceful till the french introduced the Ayotola regime, then everything descended to chaos, they were even very western before.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/trav ... ution.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NszCNZLGuDs
I suggest you read the Quran thoroughly to understand that one of its core ethos or pathos is very evil.

Yes many kings and emperors were imperialistic, but Islam is one activator and catalyst that drove almost all Muslim leaders to spread the religion via conquests and other means. Note examples among many others of similar verses;
  • 60:4. ... And there hath arisen between us [Muslims] and you [infidels] hostility and hate for ever until ye [infidels] believe in Allah

2:216. Warfare [l-qitālu] is ordained [kutiba: prescribed] for you [Muslims], though it is hateful unto you [Muslims]; but it may happen that ye [Muslims] hate a thing which is good for you, and it may happen that ye [Muslims] love a thing which is bad for you. Allah knoweth, ye know not.

2:244. Fight in the way of Allah, and know that Allah is Nearer, Knower.
You have to read the Quran and note the hundreds and thousands of verses out of the total of 6236 verses that support the above evil ethos.

What?
What the Mirror reported is based on the words of those evil prone Muslims who refer to the Quranic verses like the above.

France gave the Ayatollah asylum, but what drove the Ayatollah current evil regime is the core ethos of Islam as represented in the immutable Quran sent directly from Allah.
Iran was Western but unfortunately the Shah did terrible things to his people.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:03 amI suggest you read the Quran thoroughly to understand that one of its core ethos or pathos is very evil.
I believe that i earlier wrote that the quran was the word of the devil, I know very well it's pure evil, a wolf disguised in sheep's clothing.