Does it matter?

Known unknowns and unknown unknowns!

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Does it matter?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Say we look at an object and I see yellow and you see orange. Let's say we look at that same object later and this time I see orange and you see yellow.

To me what matters isn't the actual color of the object, but enough information which allows me (and you) to identify that object (why the object has changed its appearance isn't of primary importance, it's color changing might be regarded as one of its properties).

What do you think about this?

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²PhilXπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²
Lacewing

Re: Does it matter?

Post by Lacewing »

No, I don't think it really does. People spend a lot of time arguing over "what is", when they're usually talking about "what is" for THEM: something they see or think or believe, which they are sure represents the whole picture or the most important focus (and they want everyone else to agree or submit). It seems so obviously illogical, I wonder about the intense necessity some have to apply their "what is" to everyone and everything in the universe, rather than acknowledging the limited logic of that and/or expanding their view.

So, using your example, instead of insisting that the color we see is the ONE TRUE color, we could discuss/share the shapes and the colors we see, while acknowledging/discovering that there is obviously more than just that. What I'm most interested in is how we are affected by what we see, and what we DO with it.
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

It will matter if there are negative consequences.

What is critical here is we have to fix all the independent variables and assumes everything is the same except for the dependent variables.

So in this case, the dependent variables are you and me.
Thus there must be something different between you and me that created the differences in perceptions of the colors.

The source of the differences is most likely to be in your's or my brain.
In this case, it could be a problem of color blindness in me but I got cured of it and you then suffer color blindness within the next change of color by that object.

Therefore it it critical in this case we must research to find out the detail neural mechanics of such color blindness. Once we have done that [with advance neurosciences] then we can prevent the problem of color blindness in both you and me, where we will always see the same color even when the object changes color.

The above example can be applied to theists who believe in God and non-theists who don't.
Both stances are due to mental states which are supported by its respective neural connectivity in the brain.
It is also common for theists to become non-theists and vice versa just like the example above.

As with the above example, our quest is thus to understand the neural mechanics within theism and non-theism.
Since theism [positive] has potential net evil consequences towards the future, it would be wiser and rational to wean off theism and replace it with fool proof alternative to deal with the inherent existential crisis.

Non-theism is a negative stance which is neutral, thus there is no question of changing the default. But if a non-theist adopt any ideology that is evil laden, then we need to find out its neural representation and do something to wean the person off that evil and net-negative ideology.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: ↑Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:06 am Therefore it it critical in this case we must research to find out the detail neural mechanics of such color blindness. Once we have done that [with advance neurosciences] then we can prevent the problem of color blindness in both you and me, where we will always see the same color even when the object changes color.
So, are you prescribing to the idea that there's one true color, and it's a problem if we don't all see that?

I don't think that's true. It could just be the expansive nature of our exploration and progress as humans.
Veritas Aequitas wrote: ↑Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:06 amThe above example can be applied to theists who believe in God and non-theists who don't.
Both stances are due to mental states which are supported by its respective neural connectivity in the brain.
I don't know about that. I think there are theists who don't actually believe in what they're doing/saying, but they have their individual reasons for following that particular social pattern -- just like any patterns that people may adopt in life.

I see it like wearing clothes and performing a role on the stage of life. What will you be? A king? A beggar? A theist? A politician? A free spirit? Does it matter? Will there be negative consequences in each case? Very likely. :D
Veritas Aequitas wrote: ↑Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:06 amour quest is thus to understand the neural mechanics within theism and non-theism.
Well, okay. I don't know if that's going to be fruitful... because I think there could be all kinds of reasons.
Veritas Aequitas wrote: ↑Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:06 amSince theism [positive] has potential net evil consequences towards the future, it would be wiser and rational to wean off theism and replace it with fool proof alternative to deal with the inherent existential crisis.
Might it be like ANYTHING that a person might do to bolster or balance or even exalt themselves somehow? If not using that "tool/process", might it be another, for whatever purposes serve their need/desire?

As I said, I, too, think that theism created the concept and manifestation of "evil" -- and that has been fueled over time into all sorts of hideous uses and results. I'm just not sure that it's due to some sort of faulty(?) neural connectivity in the brain. It seems to me that humans are CREATIVE... and perhaps the more we evolve, the more creative we become in all directions ("Let's try THIS!"). We MOVE ON from our past creations when they no longer serve us, and when we realize how much more there is than where we "are". OR, perhaps we're in a developmental bubble that will pop at some point, and we won't desire to create/explore/act-out every imaginable potential because we'll understand the devastating effects of doing that.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

It matters if the actual, measureable wavelength is different.
Philosophy Explorer

Dalek Prime wrote: ↑Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:03 pm It matters if the actual, measureable wavelength is different.
My OP implies that the wavelength is the same, DP, for both observers.

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²PhilXπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: ↑Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:44 pm
Dalek Prime wrote: ↑Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:03 pm It matters if the actual, measureable wavelength is different.

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²PhilXπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²
Then it doesn't matter. It's measurable.
Philosophy Explorer

Dalek Prime wrote: ↑Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:53 pm

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²PhilXπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²
:lol:

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²PhilXπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: ↑Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:58 pm
Dalek Prime wrote: ↑Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:53 pm

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²PhilXπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²
:lol:

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²PhilXπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²
Easy-peasy, lemon-squeezy. :wink:
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Dalek Prime wrote: ↑Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:03 pm Easy-peasy, lemon-squeezy. :wink:
The Lemon Song... ? :)
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Duplicate post.
Last edited by Dalek Prime on Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Lacewing wrote: ↑Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:47 pm
Dalek Prime wrote: ↑Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:03 pm Easy-peasy, lemon-squeezy. :wink:
The Lemon Song... ? :)
Led Zeppelin? Funny, I was just making a 'best of' list last night.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Dalek Prime wrote: ↑Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:43 am Led Zeppelin? Funny, I was just making a 'best of' list last night.
First thing that came to my mind with your comment about squeezing the lemon. I like to imagine many years from now... if I live to be 80 or 90... I'll be an old woman who will still get that wild feeling when listening to Led Zep!
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Lacewing wrote: ↑Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:20 am
Dalek Prime wrote: ↑Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:43 am Led Zeppelin? Funny, I was just making a 'best of' list last night.
First thing that came to my mind with your comment about squeezing the lemon. I like to imagine many years from now... if I live to be 80 or 90... I'll be an old woman who will still get that wild feeling when listening to Led Zep!
The feeling will never quite leave you. I quit smoking pot ages ago, but still recall the buzz when I listen to them. They were to the 70s what the Beatles were to the 60s.

When I was making the list, I was wondering what my all time favorite song was. I really like Kashmir, but there are a few others I quite like. I basically boiled down the songs into one album of top songs, a far cry from all the albums they have. You have any favorites?
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Dalek Prime wrote: ↑Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:26 am...
Kashmir is wonderful. My favorite these days is: Ramble On. I just don't get tired of it... and it always makes me dance.

There's also a song I love that Robert Plant did with Afro Celt Sound System. It's got a Middle Eastern sound to it, and I feel like I can fly around the Universe when listening to it. It's called: Life Begin Again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHqBW1F-zQQ

If you listen to it... or already know of it... I'd like to hear what you think. It seems to have so many layers. I love music with drumming, and Middle Eastern sounds, and ethereal arrangements, and of course Robert Plant's voice... so it appeals to me on many levels.

I, too, quit smoking pot and tripping ages ago. But I still have friends who do, and I'm able to go right to that vibration with them! It's as if those channels were added to my range, and they don't go away.