Can God do evil?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Can God do evil?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Seems to me if anyone can do evil, then He would most likely do so due to Biblical stories and His qualifications.

Do you agree?

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒ
surreptitious57

Re: Can God do evil?

Post by surreptitious57 »

God is usually defined as omnibenevolent which would therefore make him incapable of evil
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

We need to define 'what is evil'.
I define 'evil' as any acts [human or God-as-claimed] that is net negative to the individual and humanity collectively.

Note the Problem of Evil argument against God which theists faced a dilemma to provide any reasonable answers, i.e. how can a supposedly omni-benevolent and all powerful God allow evils acts to exist. In this case we include natural evil, e.g. diseases, catastrophe and the likes.

The evidence where God do evil is in the immutable texts and principles from the holy texts delivered by God in which God deliberately commit and exhorts believers to commit evil acts on non-believers.
This is most evident in the Quran where there are tons of evil laden verses compelling believers to commit evil acts on non-believers as a divine duty within a spiritual contract in exchange for eternal life in Paradise. [evidence available].

The problem here is believers believe whatever God commands e.g. to kill even innocent non-believers, sacrifice themselves or their sons/daughters as suicide bombers, is Good. i.e. a divine duty to do so.
Philosophy Explorer

surreptitious57 wrote: โ†‘Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:36 am
God is usually defined as omnibenevolent which would therefore make him incapable of evil
What definition would be all encompassing for God? Since when does God need a definition? I don't think any definition can substitute for God.

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒ
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

God is a word and each word requires a definition or else they are meaningless
God also cannot violate the laws of logic regardless of whether or not he exists

An omniscient God cannot also be an omnibenevolent God as they violate each other
God is also supposed to be omnipotent but that contradicts omnibenevolence as well

Assigning omni status to any being is fallacious because no being in existence can possess such a quality
Now all information exists within the Universe but the Universe is not a being like God is supposed to be
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

In 1st Testament it shows how he rages on everything, even when Saul saves animals to sacrifice for god, he punishes Saul, which is obviously unreasonable!

There's no talking about things, no reason, no forgiveness, destroying the temple twice! Enslaving all the jews.
Reflex

Post by Reflex »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:56 am Seems to me if anyone can do evil, then He would most likely do so due to Biblical stories and His qualifications.

Do you agree?

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒ
Donโ€™t expect any serious responses to your nonsense.
Philosophy Explorer

Reflex wrote: โ†‘Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:18 am
Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:56 am Seems to me if anyone can do evil, then He would most likely do so due to Biblical stories and His qualifications.

Do you agree?

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒ
I know I can't count on any from you. :lol:

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒ
Necromancer

Post by Necromancer »

No! God does not do evil! Satan is the address for evil! Satan is also the doer of original sin! That is, if your father did something horrible, then his children may suffer from those crimes as well.

Even then, to ignore the awfulness of crimes against others may also prove sinful!

8)
Reflex

Post by Reflex »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:50 am

Do you agree?

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒ

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒ
If you had any sense you'd be embarrassed for asking such a foolish question. I mean, you are literate (I assume), you have access to the Internet, there are numerous books about philosophy of religion available at no cost and you, using the screen name "philosophy explorer," have the mindless audacity to seriously ask such a question is just plain stupid.

Itโ€™s sad to say, but when it come to the philosophy of religion, the OP typifies the level of discussion that dominates every forum Iโ€™ve visited.
Last edited by Reflex on Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Philosophy Explorer

Reflex wrote: โ†‘Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:16 pm

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒ
If you had any sense you'd be embarrassed for asking such a foolish question. I mean, you are literate (I assume), you have access to the Internet, there are numerous books about philosophy of religion available at no cost and you, using the screen name "philosophy explorer," have the mindless audacity to seriously ask such a question is just plain stupid.
You just love to attack the poster with ad homs rather than the problem. All questions are fair game and no matter how stupid it may seem to you, it's my business to ask. By asking such questions, you can make progress as I've already personally done. So look for a subject more to your taste.

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒ
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Do you agree?

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒ
If God is Goodness and evil is an absence of Goodness, then Evil is the absence of God with the absence of God effectively being disunity that is observed through inherent unity. (example: Rape is evil, however sex is good. Murder is evil, however the murderer reaping what he/she sowed under a death penalty or confinement is good).
Last edited by Eodnhoj7 on Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reflex

Post by Reflex »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:49 pm

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒ
You just love to attack the poster with ad homs rather than the problem. All questions are fair game and no matter how stupid it may seem to you, it's my business to ask. By asking such questions, you can make progress as I've already personally done. So look for a subject more to your taste.

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒ
The only โ€œproblemโ€ is you not looking before you leap.

http://www.ntslibrary.com/PDF%20Books/T ... ligion.pdf

https://monoskop.org/images/b/bf/Davies ... n_1993.pdf

http://hsafavi.ir/books-booklets/Philos ... ndell).pdf
Philosophy Explorer

Reflex wrote: โ†‘Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:56 pm

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒ

Due to your insulting manner, I'm not looking at your links.

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒ
Reflex

Post by Reflex »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:30 am
Reflex wrote: โ†‘Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:56 pm

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒ

Due to your insulting manner, I'm not looking at your links.

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒ
Your loss, "philosophy explorer."