Is hypnosis real?

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Is hypnosis real?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

What are the pros and cons for this? How can one tell?

🇺🇲PhilX🇺🇲
Dalek Prime

Re: Is hypnosis real?

Post by Dalek Prime »

Phil, repeat after me..... Hypnosis is real.... Hypnosis is real... Hypnosis is real.... Hypnosis is good... Hypnosis is good... Hypnosis is real good... I feel relaxed... I feel relaxed... Hypnosis is good relaxation.... I will quit smoking... I will quit smoking... Tomorrow... Or the day after... Sometime....
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Dalek Prime wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:16 am Phil, repeat after me..... Hypnosis is real.... Hypnosis is real... Hypnosis is real.... Hypnosis is good... Hypnosis is good... Hypnosis is real good... I feel relaxed... I feel relaxed... Hypnosis is good relaxation.... I will quit smoking... I will quit smoking... Tomorrow... Or the day after... Sometime....
Can you be hypnotized to the point where you don't feel pain?

🇺🇲PhilX🇺🇲
Sir-Sister-of-Suck

Post by Sir-Sister-of-Suck »

Phil, lick your lips.

There's a very basic layer to the concept of hypnosis that's true. But the idea of people who can be put to sleep by just a few words, is generally not all there is to it. There's a lot of effort going into effect on the part of the person being 'hypnotised.' Like the fact that he or she has to actually try to fall asleep.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

I've tried hypnosis. Sir-Sister-of-Suck is correct. It takes real effort on the part of the one being hypnotized to be so. It failed me, because I couldn't shut my mind down enough to allow it.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Here in Denmark we have had a case where a dude had hypnotized women to have sex with him, so it's real.
Sir-Sister-of-Suck

Post by Sir-Sister-of-Suck »

HexHammer wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:45 pmHere in Denmark we have had a case where a dude had hypnotized women to have sex with him, so it's real.
Well, we've had situations like that in the US too, but they are controversial and complicated; The reason why he ended up being convicted had more to do with the intent than an affirmation by the court that hypnosis can actually be done, to that extent.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:32 pm
HexHammer wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:45 pmHere in Denmark we have had a case where a dude had hypnotized women to have sex with him, so it's real.
Well, we've had situations like that in the US too, but they are controversial and complicated; The reason why he ended up being convicted had more to do with the intent than an affirmation by the court that hypnosis can actually be done, to that extent.
Hypnosis doesn't work on all, nor is it everything that you can hypnotize people about.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

HexHammer wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:45 pm Here in Denmark we have had a case where a dude had hypnotized women to have sex with him, so it's real.
Ridiculous.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:08 am
Dalek Prime wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:16 am Phil, repeat after me..... Hypnosis is real.... Hypnosis is real... Hypnosis is real.... Hypnosis is good... Hypnosis is good... Hypnosis is real good... I feel relaxed... I feel relaxed... Hypnosis is good relaxation.... I will quit smoking... I will quit smoking... Tomorrow... Or the day after... Sometime....
Can you be hypnotized to the point where you don't feel pain?

🇺🇲PhilX🇺🇲
No. But you can get shit-face drunk, and hope for the best.