What's the healthiest food you can eat?

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dalek Prime

Re: What's the healthiest food you can eat?

Post by Dalek Prime »

Greta wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:01 pm
Dalek Prime wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:49 pm Yep, just checked. Barley, bran of grains, beans, spinach, lettuce, peas, carrots, skins of other root vegetables, dairy of course, mainly because herds eat these things in bulk.
The floundering trivia champ returns with a decisive thrust of detailed minutiae!

However, my understanding is that lactose intolerance was the norm until after the Bronze Age so there was only a matter of centuries for digestive systems to adapt. I'm guessing that there would have been a higher proportion of lactose intolerant people back then than since as adult human digestive systems increasingly accommodated dairy.
Goat's milk is a little easier on the digestive system, and was abundant in Rome.... sez the smarty pants. :lol:

(Glad I had some classical training.)
Greta

Post by Greta »

Dalek Prime wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:03 pm
Greta wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:01 pm
Dalek Prime wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:49 pm Yep, just checked. Barley, bran of grains, beans, spinach, lettuce, peas, carrots, skins of other root vegetables, dairy of course, mainly because herds eat these things in bulk.
The floundering trivia champ returns with a decisive thrust of detailed minutiae!

However, my understanding is that lactose intolerance was the norm until after the Bronze Age so there was only a matter of centuries for digestive systems to adapt. I'm guessing that there would have been a higher proportion of lactose intolerant people back then than since as adult human digestive systems increasingly accommodated dairy.
Goat's milk is a little easier on the digestive system, and was abundant in Rome.
You should sign up for some quiz shows while you are running hot!

Poor bastards, no wonder their civilisation fell. Goat milk is awful. I tried to like it, and sheep's milk too, and failed. And the cheese. Ugh ... and I am not a fussy eater, a keen practitioner of the SeeFood diet.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

More a carp than a flounder(er), btw Greta. ;)

Seafood! Stop eating my Piscean brethren, ya land shark! (Oh, I missed that. SeeFood, eat food. I hear ya.)

I became lactose intolerant myself. I drank milk like water as a kid. Awesome bones though.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Dalek Prime wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:12 pm More a carp than a flounder(er), btw Greta. ;)

Seafood! Stop eating my Piscean brethren, ya land shark! (Oh, I missed that. SeeFood, eat food. I hear ya.)

I became lactose intolerant myself. I drank milk like water as a kid. Awesome bones though.
I still have lots of milk in teas and coffees - arthritis all over the place, although a fair bit of that can probably be attributed to loose ligaments. The feet and jaw are the worst.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Greta wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:24 pm
Dalek Prime wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:12 pm More a carp than a flounder(er), btw Greta. ;)

I still have lots of milk in teas and coffees - arthritis all over the place, although a fair bit of that can probably be attributed to loose ligaments. The feet and jaw are the worst.
I think vitamin D is more important actually, being the secosteroid that draws the minerals in... Yeah, ligaments take a long time to heal, if they ever do. Hence so many replacements. And then, some ligaments were only recently discovered. Funny little things.

(Anything else I can tell you about your world, just ask lol!)
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Greta wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:53 pm
Lacewing wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:46 pm I've heard stories of yogis who can ingest powerful substances, yet remain unaffected. To me, this suggests that energy is more powerful/influential than matter.
Energy not bound into matter is weaker than matter by a factor of the speed of light squared.
Okay... you just blew my mind! :D
Greta wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:53 pm So I say pfff to your final claim! 8)
And you did it so well.
Greta wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:53 pm The moral of the story is that if you want to build something large and complex, it ideally needs to consists of structured units with a concentrated energetic centre rather than unstructured units.
But what about the nature of overly cumbersome structures? Isn't there a tipping point at which structure defeats energy efficiency and effectiveness?
Greta wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:53 pmthe ability to ingest venom (by taking regular microdoses to build resistance) this ability appears to involve considerable prior conditioning or practice, as is the case with any achievement.
So, mind over matter is not possible? What about people who have lifted cars off of people who are trapped? We know they weren't bench-pressing cars to build up their ability.
Greta wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:53 pm I am wary of gurus' penchant for showmanship
Me too. I'm highly suspicious of gurus overall (as I've obviously expressed on this forum). I guess that a large part of humankind has demonstrated itself to be so willing to follow anyone with a good story throughout history, that there is an endless line of people wanting to create and lead the next "religion" or cult or governing body of one sort or another. A lot of the showmanship is incredibly transparent -- I'm surprised at the lack of cleverness. Although there are still many willing to be followers, there seems to be more people than ever who are willing to call out the shams.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Lacewing wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:36 pm
Greta wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:53 pmThe moral of the story is that if you want to build something large and complex, it ideally needs to consists of structured units with a concentrated energetic centre rather than unstructured units.
But what about the nature of overly cumbersome structures? Isn't there a tipping point at which structure defeats energy efficiency and effectiveness?
Sure, such as an organisation where the various departments don't know what the other does and fail to coordinate. Such as a nation with so many people that they fight and break into multiple nations.
Lacewing wrote:
Greta wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:53 pmthe ability to ingest venom (by taking regular microdoses to build resistance) this ability appears to involve considerable prior conditioning or practice, as is the case with any achievement.
So, mind over matter is not possible? What about people who have lifted cars off of people who are trapped? We know they weren't bench-pressing cars to build up their ability.
There is certainly mind over matter - after all, if there's such a thing as psychosomatic illnesses there is logically an opposite. However, it seems to me that such claims will always be maximised by conditioning.

Not sure what to make of traumatic carlifting. I expect there'd be many others who wish they could life the car but cannot. There may have been a situation where one of the car's tyres was in an indentation, allowing for leverage to assist the already adrenaline enhanced strength.

I'm playing a touch of devils' advocate here though I expect we can discount the recent eating of fibrous leafy greens ...

Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Greta wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:22 am There may have been a situation where one of the car's tyres was in an indentation, allowing for leverage to assist the already adrenaline enhanced strength. I'm playing a touch of devils' advocate here though I expect we can discount the recent eating of fibrous leafy greens ...

Well, there may be something to leafy greens. I've always loved spinach... and years ago I was faced with lifting a washing machine into the back of my pickup truck. I'm not a big person... and it was more like I had to push it upward (with my fingers hooked under the front of it) while it leaned against the back of my full-size Chevy Blazer, but it did require a burst of willful strength that I don't think I would normally have. A big storm was moving in, and the straw bale shed that the appliance was temporarily being stored in had just fallen down, so I had to get it moved quickly.

I love kale now too. Was kale not as popular back in Popeye's day?

Maybe Dalek knows.
Nick_A

Re: beer & gutbuster pizza

Post by Nick_A »

henry quirk wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:53 pm you'll live forever

throw in coffee & cigarettes and you'll live forever twice over
I think you would have liked Jeanne Calment. She lived to be 122 due to a heavy reliance on chocolate, olive oil, cigarettes, and cheap red wine.

https://allthatsinteresting.com/jeanne-calment

The girl knew how to live!
Greta

Post by Greta »

Lacewing wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:09 am
Greta wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:22 am There may have been a situation where one of the car's tyres was in an indentation, allowing for leverage to assist the already adrenaline enhanced strength. I'm playing a touch of devils' advocate here though I expect we can discount the recent eating of fibrous leafy greens ...

Well, there may be something to leafy greens. I've always loved spinach... and years ago I was faced with lifting a washing machine into the back of my pickup truck. I'm not a big person... and it was more like I had to push it upward (with my fingers hooked under the front of it) while it leaned against the back of my full-size Chevy Blazer, but it did require a burst of willful strength that I don't think I would normally have. A big storm was moving in, and the straw bale shed that the appliance was temporarily being stored in had just fallen down, so I had to get it moved quickly.

Maybe Dalek knows.
Kale was largely unknown in Popeye's day.

I have to say that I cannot imagine lifting a washing machine. I doubt most of the blokes here would be able to do it either! You must have instinctively used leverage extremely well, along with the burst of adrenaline.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Lacewing wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:09 am

Maybe Dalek knows.
Kale is a newish item, at least to the North American diet. Spinach, asparagus, broccoli, lettuce etc. were the norms. I quite like fiddlehead ferns too. They grew wild, as did the asparagus. I recall my mom searching them out.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Nick_A wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:08 am

I think you would have liked Jeanne Calment. She lived to be 122 due to a heavy reliance on chocolate, olive oil, cigarettes, and cheap red wine.

https://allthatsinteresting.com/jeanne-calment

The girl knew how to live!
She had memories as a child meeting Van Gogh.

Personally, I'd not wish to live as long as she, or even to 90. 35 years more is just too much in my case.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Jeanne Calment spent her life doing almost everything that doctors advise against if you want to live a long life. She smoked, she drank, she played with guns, she ate excessive amounts of sugar and red meat, and she never ate breakfast, save for a cup or two of coffee.

See?

I bet the only reason she kicked was boredom

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeanne_Calment

##

"Personally, I'd not wish to live as long as she, or even to 90. 35 years more is just too much in my case."

As you like, Dal...me: I'm gonna beat her record.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:19 am Offhand I don't know myself, but I have a feeling that there will be controversy here.

🇺🇲PhilX🇺🇲
less meats by factor of 4 from what we have been eating since the 70's (since folks stopped cooking and started eating out - burgers/fries/similar crap).

ketchup is not a vegitable BTW.

what is good - anything the Japs prior to the 80's ate.

Greens, beans, spinich, collards, brussel spouts (all steamed - not fking fried).

..........less carbs, that means less potatoes (rice is better by factor of 2 BTW).

eat squash, eggplant, cantilope, watermellon, avacodos (these have good fats - not the bad animal fats like pig fat)

Chicken and Fish is good too.

......in otherwords eat the opposite of the modern shit diet of westerners.

-----------------

of course this means if you wish to live past 50, one must learn to cook and force to eat a non-fastshitfood diet.

or just give up, not learn to cook and die young.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

coffee is good for you BTW.

cigs not.

i partake in both - more the former thankfully.

tea is good too BTW - i used to drink much, but not so much these last few years.

i hate green tea, but love black tea - its hogwash that only green is good, both are BTW.