How long can a bird remain in flight?

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

How long can a bird remain in flight?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Think about it. A bird has to stop to rest and eat, right? How long can it stay up in the air?

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²PhilXπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²
Walker

Re: How long can a bird remain in flight?

Post by Walker »

Is that an African or European swallow?
Philosophy Explorer

Walker wrote: ↑Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:49 am Is that an African or European swallow?
Alpine swift.

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²PhilXπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²
Walker

Post by Walker »

Laden or unladen?
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Depends how high the building is you throw her off.
Philosophy Explorer

Arising_uk wrote: ↑Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:40 pm Depends how high the building is you throw her off.
That doesn't mean the bird is in flight.

I'm surprised no one did an internet search because the answer is there. Who wants me to give the answer?

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²PhilXπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: ↑Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:33 am
Arising_uk wrote: ↑Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:40 pm Depends how high the building is you throw her off.

I'm surprised no one did an internet search because the answer is there. Who wants me to give the answer?

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²PhilXπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²
10 months.
Philosophy Explorer

thedoc wrote: ↑Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:09 am
Philosophy Explorer wrote: ↑Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:33 am

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²PhilXπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²
10 months.
Doc, you do me proud although I read 200 days or six months. You go to the head of the class.

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²PhilXπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

I seem to recall that an albatross would circle ships without landing for some time. Always amazed me, especially since I'm such a lazy person. I wonder how they adjust, sleep-wise? Micro-naps?
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: ↑Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:14 am Think about it. A bird has to stop to rest and eat, right? How long can it stay up in the air?

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²PhilXπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²
25.5674 minutes. given optimal thermal updraft.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Dalek Prime wrote: ↑Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:19 am I seem to recall that an albatross would circle ships without landing for some time. Always amazed me, especially since I'm such a lazy person. I wonder how they adjust, sleep-wise? Micro-naps?
probably so. part dolphin?

the two have the same dilemma.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Dalek Prime wrote: ↑Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:19 am I seem to recall that an albatross would circle ships without landing for some time. Always amazed me, especially since I'm such a lazy person. I wonder how they adjust, sleep-wise? Micro-naps?
"Overhead the Albatross hangs motionless upon the air / While deep beneath the ocean waves are labyrinths of coral caves / The echos of the distant times come billowing across the sand / and everything is green in submarine." They need to move no muscles.

How long can you stand in one spot? or better still, how long can you sit, or lie in one spot?

The Albatross has a "locking" mechanism for hanging in the air with minimal exertion. Much like you and I depend on our skeleton to relax when in repose, the Albatross depends on its massive chest muscles to do the work of allowing it to relax or even to sleep. Humans need to at least sit. But cows and horses can sleep standing up. They do have muscle control in their sleep. If a horse has no muscle control, its legs buckle in and collapse under it.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Walker wrote: ↑Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:49 am Is that an African or European swallow?
Depends on what they are swallowing.

But let's not wallow in the the swallow. That's hollow. How low can we get (before we must stop ourselves)?
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

-1- wrote: ↑Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:58 am
"Overhead the Albatross hangs motionless upon the air / While deep beneath the ocean waves are labyrinths of coral caves / The echos of the distant times come billowing across the sand / and everything is green in submarine." They need to move no muscles.

How long can you stand in one spot? or better still, how long can you sit, or lie in one spot?

The Albatross has a "locking" mechanism for hanging in the air with minimal exertion. Much like you and I depend on our skeleton to relax when in repose, the Albatross depends on its massive chest muscles to do the work of allowing it to relax or even to sleep. Humans need to at least sit. But cows and horses can sleep standing up. They do have muscle control in their sleep. If a horse has no muscle control, its legs buckle in and collapse under it.
Still, I wouldn't think of napping whilst flying a glider, even for a short period. (Speaking of which, my late uncle won a DFC for a 24hr flight behind enemy lines in Burma.)
-1-

Post by -1- »

Dalek Prime wrote: ↑Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:45 pm Still, I wouldn't think of napping whilst flying a glider, even for a short period.

(Speaking of which, my late uncle won a DFC for a 24hr flight behind enemy lines in Burma.)
What can happen? The albatross falls, the water cushions his fall, and he wakes up in a cold sweat.

They gave your uncle, may he rest in peace, a DFC for being 24 hours late?