Moderators: AMod, iMod

-1-

Re: Is philosophy going extinct?

Post by -1- »

gaffo wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:02 am
thinking is becoming extinct.

thanks to the hive mind of

facebook and smartphones
While I applaud your hatred for facefuck, and high-IQ phones, I think thinking is becoming more and more rampant. People are out-of-work, more and more people. They have to do something with their time, and after watching television, the next easiest thing they can do is think. It's easy, cheap, readily available, and interactive entertainment.

The problem with facefuck and smartphone-conversations is not that they take away thinking, but that they direct the flow of thinking. I am still surprised why society hasn't yet produced a demagogue who steals the thoughts of others and substitutes his or her own agenda in their places seamlessly. I mean, the Internet as a venue for that is ideal: readily available, universal, reaches almost everyone in the nation.

I think the problem lies in people's willingness to spend a lengthy time on one subject, one topic, or one speech. A ten-minute video may capture the attention of 60 percent of the people, but it may not be long enough to pack enough convincing power into it to make a real impact.

Another problem is competition and "comments"... people can shoot down each other's ideas readily and easily.

A third problem in having a demagogue steal the thoughts of most Internet users is the diverse society we live in. Even native Americans (not meaning only First Nations, but people who were born in the USA) are divided into sharply differentiated groups. To produce a crossover convincing idea is not easy.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

-1- wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:45 pm . I am still surprised why society hasn't yet produced a demagogue who steals the thoughts of others and substitutes his or her own agenda in their places seamlessly.
Haven't they? Trump on Twitter? Let alone the big online businesses that want you to buy, buy, buy? Perhaps not seamlessly, but subtly and persistently,.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Dalek Prime wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:57 pm
-1- wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:45 pm . I am still surprised why society hasn't yet produced a demagogue who steals the thoughts of others and substitutes his or her own agenda in their places seamlessly.
Haven't they? Trump on Twitter? Let alone the big online businesses that want you to buy, buy, buy? Perhaps not seamlessly, but subtly and persistently,.
Small online businesses want you to buy, buy, buy, too.

Trump is a farce. 50% of people know that. You can't be a dictator in a democracy with less than 96 percent support by the population.

Trump does not even have an agenda. He wants to build a wall... Hitler wanted to eradicate an entire segment of society based on ethnicity. Trump wants to grab pussies... is that what turns people's minds to blindly follow a leader?
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

-1- wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:45 pm

facebook and smartphones
While I applaud your hatred for facefuck, and high-IQ phones, I think thinking is becoming more and more rampant. People are out-of-work, more and more people. They have to do something with their time, and after watching television, the next easiest thing they can do is think. It's easy, cheap, readily available, and interactive entertainment.

The problem with facefuck and smartphone-conversations is not that they take away thinking, but that they direct the flow of thinking. I am still surprised why society hasn't yet produced a demagogue who steals the thoughts of others and substitutes his or her own agenda in their places seamlessly. I mean, the Internet as a venue for that is ideal: readily available, universal, reaches almost everyone in the nation.

I think the problem lies in people's willingness to spend a lengthy time on one subject, one topic, or one speech. A ten-minute video may capture the attention of 60 percent of the people, but it may not be long enough to pack enough convincing power into it to make a real impact.

Another problem is competition and "comments"... people can shoot down each other's ideas readily and easily.

A third problem in having a demagogue steal the thoughts of most Internet users is the diverse society we live in. Even native Americans (not meaning only First Nations, but people who were born in the USA) are divided into sharply differentiated groups. To produce a crossover convincing idea is not easy.

Strong point...
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

-1- wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:45 pm

facebook and smartphones

100-percent off base here Sir.

"interactive entertainment" - is "squirrel!!!!!"

the opposite of thinking!

D. Thourou (mild dyslexic - you can figure out whom i am refering too).

put any man in a cabin/cell - for a few months - no tv no radio (books though are GREAT and one should have access to)..................and he will then be forced to think in silence.

we call this thinking.

lol.

you are refering to mechines to prevent us from thinking via distraction.

note - i do value thoughtful electronic media (criterion level movies, TV stuff made my thoughfull men - Serling/etc..............but one has to think first in order to value the "distraction mechines" to serve only thinking material.

-1- wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:45 pm I am still surprised why society hasn't yet produced a demagogue who steals the thoughts of others and substitutes his or her own agenda in their places seamlessly. I mean, the Internet as a venue for that is ideal: readily available, universal, reaches almost everyone in the nation.

it took 15 yrs but its here now:

via Trump's Tweets and Alex Jone's Infowars, this guy was a nut WAY back - i saw him in Austin via ACTV in early 90's - back then the twerp was harassing Bruce Todd in front of grocery stores.

both now have an army of vile nittwitts.....that number in the millions.

-1- wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:45 pm I think the problem lies in people's willingness to spend a lengthy time on one subject, one topic, or one speech. A ten-minute video may capture the attention of 60 percent of the people, but it may not be long enough to pack enough convincing power into it to make a real impact.
fully agree.

my old Youtube channel was made up of 60's/70's tv shows - obscure stuff (obscure as in not viewable anywhere else - and why i offered it (as well is them being good quality - removed for copyreich violations after 6 months (2 yrs ago now).

stuff like Gideon's Way, The Defenders, Callan, Danger UXB, The Human Jungle, The Senator.

stuff i found in parts on YT years earlier, then bought the DVDs of - and converted to mp4 for uploading to my channel in full series (in order to allow others to discover and appreciate).

but only those with an attention span ever would - 350 did - i had that many subbers before channel ("Z-channel" - in reference/honour to an actual z-channel of the early 80's i rem and liked as a kid) was removed.

all my programming was OLD (pre1980) - because such shows valued character development and plot.

over noise and special effects.

I just glad i have a TV and DVD player (and DVDFAB - to remove fking region codings!) that can playback all the great TV shows in PAL format - like Gideon's Way/The Human Jungle/Callan..........that will NEVER be offered here in America NTSC form, or bluray (the former due to region code fking lawyering, the latter due to lack of popularity to ever offer these shows in Highdef format.

callan was shot in vid tape and so will never look good, the other two were shot on film and would look really good in highdef.

thanlfully i have DVDFAB, if they are offered in highdef in future for brits, i'l buy them and strip the fking region code so i can view my own vids.

it did this with Wickerman BD, The Shout BD and Colluden/War Game BD (none offered here in America- only for Europe region - DVDfab removed the fking region code of my bought BD's - and the DRM freed films playback fine on my american Oppo for my american self.

fking lawyers ;-/.

-1- wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:45 pm A third problem in having a demagogue steal the thoughts of most Internet users is the diverse society we live in. Even native Americans (not meaning only First Nations, but people who were born in the USA) are divided into sharply differentiated groups. To produce a crossover convincing idea is not easy.
ya, i know - but never understood the tribal mentality of "my group".

i was born and raise without tribe.

as a univeral humanist.

my bland universalism is what give me comfort (the concept and my belief we are all the same).

this somehow for some reason has been under attack since the Plitical correctness of the late 80's showed up.

now it is all about being Tribal ;-(.

I hate tribalism!
-1-

Post by -1- »

gaffo wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:43 pm my bland universalism is what give me comfort (the concept and my belief we are all the same).

this somehow for some reason has been under attack since the Plitical correctness of the late 80's showed up.

I hate tribalism!
The first sign of tribalism is hatred for the tribes different from yours.

I would be hard pressed to categorically state whether we are tribal or global. But they can also go hand-in-hand (global tribalism).

Your bland of universalism is different from other blends of universalism. This is interesting. You are saying that you are differentiating yourself from others on the basis of absolute and totally undifferentiable sameness.

Finally, you say "we are all the same". That's diagonally oppository to our bigger-than-life hero's maxim:

"You all have to think for yourselves."
(Multitude, in a unison chorus): "Yes, we all have to think for ourselves."
"You are all different!"
(Multitude, in a unison chorus): "Yes, we are all different."
(A tiny solitary voice in the short ensuing pause; maybe Guffo's:) "I'm not."
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

-1- wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:04 am
gaffo wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:43 pm my bland universalism is what give me comfort (the concept and my belief we are all the same).

I hate tribalism!
The first sign of tribalism is hatred for the tribes different from yours.
thats the second sign.

first sign is viewing yourself in a tribe.

its all about "Pride" white pride, Black culture, christian pride etc...............

its all the same "I'm special because I belong "in this group"...............non-stated is "the rest of you folks do not".

that is stage one - tribalism does not mandate hate of others (it mandates that there are "others" - and so they are not you - you can just ignore them nor care about them)

tribalism allows for hate though - it allows for one going from ignoring others, to fearing them - viewing them a threat to your tribe.

---------

i was wrong above, fear is stage two.

hate is stage three which 9 times out of 10 fear morphs into in the mind of tribalists.

-1- wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:04 am I would be hard pressed to categorically state whether we are tribal or global. But they can also go hand-in-hand (global tribalism).

Your bland of universalism is different from other blends of universalism. This is interesting. You are saying that you are differentiating yourself from others on the basis of absolute and totally undifferentiable sameness.

Finally, you say "we are all the same". That's diagonally oppository to our bigger-than-life hero's maxim:

"You are all different!"
????????

not sure where you are comming from above.

I guess I'm a global tribalist - i value John Locke/etc.......ideals of Western European/archaic Greek thought/etc.............."old white founding father white guys"

I value Australian/NZ/German/Modern Japanese/Canadian/Dutch/Scandenavian (I'll include France/Itally/Spain too - but disslike the French for thier Vichy past and unwillingness to manup - unlike the Germans who have my full respect (as I do the Poles),

India and Brazil though backsliding, are still working toward my respect.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

I'd like to know more about your views on S. Harper if you are willing.
-1-

Post by -1- »

gaffo wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:48 am
-1- wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:04 am I would be hard pressed to categorically state whether we are tribal or global. But they can also go hand-in-hand (global tribalism).

"You are all different!"
????????

not sure where you are comming from above.
I'm merely holding a mirror to you and without adding or subtracting anything you say, I show you how you contradict yourself.

You said your "own bland of universalism"... and I expounded on how ridiculous it is to say that there are more than one blend of universalism when you admittedly declare we are all the same. Your stances are replete with self-contradictions, even if one allows you the empirical impossibility and untruth of all humans being the same.

I don't know if you got the earlier message, or you got so amused by your categorizing what is first, second and third signs of tribalism, that my message to you about you got lost by the time you got there.

You said "I hate tribalism!" this definitely separates you from those who thrive on tribalism... there you have it, your tribe against theirs. How you had not seen it coming before you wrote "I hate tribalism!" is surprising to me.

What you wrote about pride in tribalism also applies to you, in your tribe of universalists.

I hope this explains to you what you needed clarification with.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Guffo, I wrote about Steve Harper more in depth somewhere, but I can't find it. What his aim was, and what his downfall was. You may want to look at the thread where we had talked about him. I, for the life of me, don't know what the thread was.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

-1- wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:48 am

What you wrote about pride in tribalism also applies to you, in your tribe of universalists.

I hope this explains to you what you needed clarification with.
ok, I said as much last week in reply to you.

was what your point? or did you mean more?

I'm an "old school (dead greek/roman/western european post middle ages) affirmer of their views.

without note of ones race/sex or national origin - none of those make any difference to me.

they only differ from me (and of another tribe) if the reject the morays of the said above "culture".

I affirm universal humanity - and ignore race/sex/nationality.

i note only if one affirms my tribal views of universal humanism -per the 500 yr old one via Locke/etc, or not.

ok by you?

if not, i welcome discussion about it.
Last edited by gaffo on Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

-1- wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:50 am Guffo, I wrote about Steve Harper more in depth somewhere, but I can't find it. What his aim was, and what his downfall was. You may want to look at the thread where we had talked about him. I, for the life of me, don't know what the thread was.
I think is is in the "politics of philosophy" (or some such).

no worries.

you and i will be here for a time.

we can talk about it in due course........,month/yrs or never hense.

its ok

======

it not vital i just noted your reply about Harper and was curious.

no biggie.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Guffo, our discussion in this thread has deteriorated to the topic being buried under several (many) layers of levels of superimposed abstractions.

I can't deal with that. Unless you can state specific claims with actual, tangible, and perceivable "bone", that is, statements to which truth or falsehood can be attached or proven to be either, I can't continue here.

I have sent you a private note naming the thread in which I wrote about Steve Harper, after I had found it. Did you get it?
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

ye got it.

tanks for PM and taking time to address my inquary.

i enjoy learning more about Canada. my sister is Canadian (dual citizen for last 25 yrs now).
-1-

Post by -1- »

gaffo wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:23 am ye got it.

tanks for PM and taking time to address my inquary.

i enjoy learning more about Canada. my sister is Canadian (dual citizen for last 25 yrs now).
Eyh, what a coincidence. My sister's brother is Canadian. Do they know each other?