The thoughts of Nisargadatta Maharaj

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dontaskme

Re: The thoughts of Nisargadatta Maharaj

Post by Dontaskme »

'' If in the state of witnessing you ask yourself:
''Who am I''?
The answer comes at once;
Though it is wordless and silent. ''

~ Nisargadatta Maharaji.

Walker

Post by Walker »

Q: We were told that of all forms of spiritual practices the practice of the attitude of a mere witness is the most efficacious. How does it compare with faith?

M: The witness attitude is also faith; it is faith in oneself. You believe that you are not what you experience and you look at everything as from a distance. There is no effort in witnessing. You understand that you are the witness only and the understanding acts. You need nothing more, just remember that you are the witness only. If in the state of witnessing you ask yourself: ‘Who am I?’, the answer comes at once, though it is wordless and silent. Cease to be the object and become the subject of all that happens; once having turned within, you will find yourself beyond the subject. When you have found yourself, you will find that you are also beyond the object, that both the subject and the object exist in you, but you are neither.
Walker

Post by Walker »

"Cease to be the object and become the subject of all that happens …"

This is the realistic, pragmatic view of solipsism, where the buck stops here and the final arbiter has no complaint.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Walker wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:58 pm "Cease to be the object and become the subject of all that happens …"

This is the realistic, pragmatic view of solipsism, where the buck stops here and the final arbiter has no complaint.
Walker, do find it irritating that one is called a solipist when expounding the reality of life being non-dual?

The subject never happens, is witness of all that happens....?
Walker

Post by Walker »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:11 pm
Walker wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:58 pm "Cease to be the object and become the subject of all that happens …"

Walker, do find it irritating that one is called a solipist when expounding the reality of life being non-dual?

The subject never happens, is witness of all that happens....?
The phrase is contigent upon the word, “only.” Witness-only. Ordering the world requires rapid phasing between judgment and witnessing. Witnessing-only is devoid of judgment.

However, this means that witnessing-only is devoid of the level of judgment that orders the world to drive a car, or buggy, while the mind is free to think other thoughts and create fantasies.

And that’s the rub. Unless trained to stillness and accepting the nature of reality, the mind that loses dualistic signposts of change, change which is sometimes as rapid as a curve ball, can quickly create a strangely ordered world, judging by the daily news.*

Witness-only devoid of duality is a limited situation, however, that is not the all of transitory existence, since duality is required for judgment and survival, and love.

“Love is the meaning and purpose of duality.”
- Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

* What about this father in Colorado in the recent news?
Demonic possession?
Pure evil?
What does science say?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Walker wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:45 pm
The phrase is contigent upon the word, “only.” Witness-only. Ordering the world requires rapid phasing between judgment and witnessing. Witnessing-only is devoid of judgment.

However, this means that witnessing-only is devoid of the level of judgment that orders the world to drive a car, or buggy, while the mind is free to think other thoughts and create fantasies.

And that’s the rub. Unless trained to stillness and accepting the nature of reality, the mind that loses dualistic signposts of change, change which is sometimes as rapid as a curve ball, can quickly create a strangely ordered world, judging by the daily news.*

Witness-only devoid of duality is a limited situation, however, that is not the all of transitory existence, since duality is required for judgment and survival, and love.
Very good...and well articulated.
Walker wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:45 pm“Love is the meaning and purpose of duality.”
'Wisdom tells me I am nothing. Love tells me I am everything. And between the two my life flows.'- Nisargadatta Maharaj
Walker wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:45 pm* What about this father in Colorado in the recent news?
Demonic possession?
Pure evil?
What does science say?
Haven't heard about this yet...will investigate.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

“… in the stillness of the mind I saw myself as I am — " a little overweight. Actually, I saw it on a weight scale, so it's a bit of a fib i told, and I'm really sorry about it. I'll get over it though. Can't say the same about the 15 pounds I'd like to lose though. Ah well.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Dalek Prime wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:18 am “… in the stillness of the mind I saw myself as I am — " a little overweight. Actually, I saw it on a weight scale, so it's a bit of a fib i told, and I'm really sorry about it. I'll get over it though. Can't say the same about the 15 pounds I'd like to lose though. Ah well.

A skeleton never gains weight.

The universe weighs nothing.

Any extra baggage is purely mental, weightless at it's core.

Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Dontaskme wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:50 am
Dalek Prime wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:18 am “… in the stillness of the mind I saw myself as I am — " a little overweight. Actually, I saw it on a weight scale, so it's a bit of a fib i told, and I'm really sorry about it. I'll get over it though. Can't say the same about the 15 pounds I'd like to lose though. Ah well.

A skeleton never gains weight.

The universe weighs nothing.

Any extra baggage is purely mental, weightless at it's core.

Yeah, it's all gravity, I suppose.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Dalek Prime wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:08 pm
Yeah, the gravity of love, it's always there, but has never been seen, it's just a feeling, a sensation.

Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Dontaskme wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:13 pm
Dalek Prime wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:08 pm
Yeah, the gravity of love, it's always there, but has never been seen, it's just a feeling, a sensation.

Actually, I was referring to plain old gravity.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Dalek Prime wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:14 pm
So was I

Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Dontaskme wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:20 pm
Dalek Prime wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:14 pm
So was I

You brought up gravity in relation to an emotion.
Walker

Post by Walker »

“It is the mind that tells you that the mind is there. Don’t be deceived. All the endless arguments about the mind are produced by the mind itself, for its own protection, continuation and expansion. It is the blank refusal to consider the convolutions and convulsions of the mind that can take you beyond it.”

- Experience is not the real thing
Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
Walker

Post by Walker »

“You merely talk of helping. Have you ever helped, really helped, a single man? Have you ever put one soul beyond the need of further help? Can you give a man character, based on full realization of his duties and opportunities at least, if not on the insight into his true being? When you do not know what is good for yourself, how can you know what is good for others?”

Seek the source of consciousness

When you do not know what is true for yourself, how can you know what is true for others?