Philosophy videos

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Psychonaut

Re: Philosophy videos

Post by Psychonaut »

I assume the doctor you spoke to was a psychiatrist?

I am wondering, do they know Freud personally, or are they pontificating on the basis of their own belief in Freud as messiah?

DO NOT TRUST PSYCHIATRISTS.

The second head of the World Psychiatric Association was Dr. Donald Ewen Cameron, whose other claim to fame is being a CIA operative who oversaw some seriously unethical experiments in Project MKULTRA for the purpose of developing mind control techniques. They did not, so far as we are aware, develop mind control techiques, though they did manage to totally fuck up quite a number of patients. When the US Govt.'s Church Committee (named for someone whose surname was Church, nothing to do with Christians) investigated clandestine CIA and FBI projects they discovered documentation regarding Dr. Cameron's involvement, as well as that of a whole network of unnamed psychiatrists on the payroll.

Do not trust these fuckers as far as you can spit; in their face.
puto

Post by puto »

You are pure genius! :lol:
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

John Searle: Beyond Dualism

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRwOuE7I ... re=related

Forgot what a great lecturer he is.
bus2bondi

Post by bus2bondi »

that was an interesting video, the other day i was sitting on the floor with a blanket over my heat vent because it was very cold and i just laid down on the floor and all of a sudden i noticed this marking/writing/print on the underside of a chair when i opened my eyes, you might think i'm odd but i was just struck by this. I was blown away by how i never even realized it was there, or existed next to me in my house all this time until that moment when i laid on the floor and happened to be underneath it looking up on accident. interestingly enough, people may find me odd enough allready, but inline with always having viewed things synchonistically later on i 'accidentally' found the following video, and i enjoyed it alot especially after my underside chair experience. i also enjoyed one of the alien comments underneath :lol: (of course)

http://www.ted.com/talks/willard_wigan_ ... pture.html
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

Not exactly a philosophy video, but I just noticed that Cold Lazarus is available for viewing on 4oD, Channel 4's online service, HERE.

I am fairly sure it is only available to UK viewers, but if anyone from outside the UK would like to view it PM me and I might be able to find a way. Sadly I cannot find the first part, entitled Karaoke.

Cold Lazarus @ wiki
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

Having just watched Cold Lazarus through to the end I think it is notable what a lack of foresight its makers had.

In the hellish dystopia they depict the police have the dastardly ability to detain people for 14 days without charge, as according to 'the anti-terrorist charter'.

We have already exceeded this excess. :|
Gustaf

Post by Gustaf »

Psychonaut wrote:DO NOT TRUST PSYCHIATRISTS.
I take it you've been reading Scientology materials again?
Cameron's involvement, as well as that of a whole network of unnamed psychiatrists on the payroll.
It logically follows that all psychiatrists are agents of the Evil Galactic Overlord Xenu, or at least CIA operatives.
Do not trust these fuckers as far as you can spit; in their face.
More well informed, clearly articulated arguments from Psychonaut.
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

LOL yes, scientologists criticise psychiatrists, THEREFORE, all those who criticise psychiatrists are scientologists or ascribe to scientologists criticisms of psychiatrists :roll:

I am perfectly willing to believe that psychiatrists have come some way since those days, but have yet to see the evidence.

I have seen plenty of evidence that they still like to fuck with people's minds for the fuck of it, as in the case of a friend of mine who was sectioned and then pumped full of a whole variety of different drugs just to see what happened.
Gustaf

Post by Gustaf »

Psychonaut wrote:LOL yes, scientologists criticise psychiatrists, THEREFORE, all those who criticise psychiatrists are scientologists or ascribe to scientologists criticisms of psychiatrists :roll:
To be fair, an awful lot of criticism of psychiatry uses language that seems to come directly from Scientology materials, or from Dr. Szasz' writings - the doctor being himself a Scientologist.
I have seen plenty of evidence that they still like to fuck with people's minds for the fuck of it, as in the case of a friend of mine who was sectioned and then pumped full of a whole variety of different drugs just to see what happened.
[logic="Psychonaut logic"]

A friend of mine went to a psychiatrist, who changed her medication, and now she no longer needs to sleep 12+ hours a day and can function normally when awake. Therefore, all psychiatric treatment is good for you.

[/logic]
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

My claims so far:

Psychiatrists are institutionally untrustworthy.

I have not made any significant attempt at an argument establishing this to be the case, I have only voiced this conclusion, but you feel there is something substantial enough for you to criticise. Why don't you first examine what it is you are attempting to dissect.
bus2bondi

Post by bus2bondi »

http://ubu.com/film/miller_dinner.html

Dinner With Henry

Yesterday i read something Pluto wrote about Henry Miller, i was vaguely familiar with Anais but not him so i looked him up and found this video. I also like the photo at the top of the page
RickLewis

Post by RickLewis »

bus2bondi wrote:http://ubu.com/film/miller_dinner.html

Dinner With Henry

Yesterday i read something Pluto wrote about Henry Miller, i was vaguely familiar with Anais but not him so i looked him up and found this video. I also like the photo at the top of the page
Thanks so much for your posting! Not just for "Dinner with Henry" but for the website that hosts it:

http://ubu.com/film/
UbuWeb is pleased to present dozens of avant-garde films & videos for your viewing pleasure.
I'd never heard of that website. They have a fantastic film collection there including films by/about folk including Baudrillard, Debord, Salvador Dali, Duchamps, the Lumiere Brothers and many others. I'm going to carry on browsing it later and I'll put a link to the whole site onto our video links page.
jetsetjason

Post by jetsetjason »

I was at the botanic gardens recently, and found a little sign, that Wittgenstein had been there, it is in a youtube video of mine, if you want to look

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZKwWgFOkvg#
John

Post by John »

The comedian Mark Steel covered a few philosophers in his TV (and radio) programs, The Mark Steel Lectures, most of which are available on YouTube. However, a number of his TV and radio programs are legitimately available for download on his own website at http://www.marksteelinfo.com/audiovideo/default.asp

Of the TV ones, the most relevant are probably those on Aristotle, Descartes, Darwin and (maybe) Freud. Also included are Byron, Chaucer, Cromwell and Newton. Well worth a view if you're looking for something light hearted.
Pluto

Post by Pluto »