Can women judge beauty the same way men do and vice-versa?

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Can women judge beauty the same way men do and vice-versa?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

I don't think so. In the arts, I don't recall running across mention of prominent artists such as Da Vinci, Michaelangelo, Picasso, Bach, Beethoven, Mozart. I'm unable to account for this gender difference. Do you have anything to add?

🇺🇲PhilX🇺🇲
vegetariantaxidermy

Re: Can women judge beauty the same way men do and vice-versa?

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

What are you talking about?
Philosophy Explorer

There seems to be a male dominance in the arts as I indicated which I attribute to male hormones as I don't recall any prominent female artists in painting and music. It seems that women don't have the ability to judge what would interest men and women in music and painting and possibly other areas of art (the only exception I can think of is writing).

🇺🇲PhilX🇺🇲
vegetariantaxidermy

I think you mean 'genius', which is far more prevalent in males. I can't even think of any female ones off the top of my head.
Philosophy Explorer

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:12 pm I think you mean 'genius', which is far more prevalent in males. I can't even think of any female ones off the top of my head.
Not genius (imaginative yes such as MC Escher who created impossible figures).

🇺🇲PhilX🇺🇲
Greta

Post by Greta »

Back then, women were often not allowed to be composers or artists, let alone be encouraged.

It was a different world, thankfully.
vegetariantaxidermy

Genius finds a way. And there have always been female artists and composers. Vivaldi taught female orphans at the Ospedale della Pietà. Imagine being taught by him.
Greta

Post by Greta »

But for a long time in many cultures genius was only recognised by the greater public when a penis was attached to it.
vegetariantaxidermy

Could you be more specific?
Philosophy Explorer

In terms of writers, we have Mary Shelley (Frankenstein),
Emily Dickinson and others that come to mind, but for painters and musicians in the classical arts, even to the present day, I can't think of any female examples.

Why this should be, I haven't a clue.

🇺🇲PhilX🇺🇲
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:01 pm I don't think so. In the arts, I don't recall running across mention of prominent artists such as Da Vinci, Michaelangelo, Picasso, Bach, Beethoven, Mozart. I'm unable to account for this gender difference. Do you have anything to add?

🇺🇲PhilX🇺🇲
lol. you trying to be a troll sir?

i'll add.

women have been marginilized enough to negate their artistry.

------------

remove that bias and we will see and recognize talent from anyone - yes including women.

for those with talent.

most lack it = but those that have it have it regardless of their sex.

i'm not a cuck BTW.

lol.

just an honest observer happened to be born male....................i make no claims toward my talents.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:06 pm There seems to be a male dominance in the arts as I indicated which I attribute to male hormones as I don't recall any prominent female artists in painting and music. It seems that women don't have the ability to judge what would interest men and women in music and painting and possibly other areas of art (the only exception I can think of is writing).

🇺🇲PhilX🇺🇲
how does it feel playing the troll Sir?

i've noted your posts - and know you are not a fool nor will i fall for your bate.

slow day?
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:27 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:12 pm I think you mean 'genius', which is far more prevalent in males. I can't even think of any female ones off the top of my head.
Not genius (imaginative yes such as MC Escher who created impossible figures).

🇺🇲PhilX🇺🇲
oh love Escher's work ;-).
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Greta wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:28 pm But for a long time in many cultures genius was only recognised by the greater public when a penis was attached to it.
sadly.

thankfully (guys have their social pressures too)

i must have been born part horse.

not that all that, we must be more than we were born with- just sayin here.

BTW, glad i was born white, tall, male, blue eyed ,slim, decent looking, smart-ish, part horse, and decent personality.

none of which i take for granted, and note racism/sexism all around me.

just sayin I note my born advantage, and hope you don't credit it against me. I know i've had it good................my character is indepentant of those things.

and if you affirm this, you will not condemn my genes/sex and discount my character.

I've known of my avantage, and all the moreso noted my charater to counter balance those advantages i had no power over.
Jangle

Post by Jangle »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:01 pm I don't think so. In the arts, I don't recall running across mention of prominent artists such as Da Vinci, Michaelangelo, Picasso, Bach, Beethoven, Mozart. I'm unable to account for this gender difference. Do you have anything to add?

🇺🇲PhilX🇺🇲
Is it unsurprising that there were no prominent female artists before women became more respected as professionals? All of the men you mentioned are from such time periods, with Picasso being a slight exception. Women could not reach the prominence of these men because the female artist hasn't been respected for as long as them. They aren't "classics" in the same way that they are but that doesn't mean they're any less gifted.

Clara Peters, Georgia O'Keeffe and Élisabeth Vigée Le Brun are three examples.