Anhedonia

Can philosophers help resolve the real problems that people have in their lives?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dalek Prime

Re: Anhedonia

Post by Dalek Prime »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:46 pm Don't give up hope.

Someone well known to me lost his telemarketing job due to a stuttering problem that developed. He tried speech therapy that didn't work. His MRI (checking for a stroke) came back negative.

Finally was diagnosed as a diabetic and prescribed medication. His stuttering and swelling sensation in his face completely disappeared over 20 years ago (even when he temporarily stopped taking the medication) and he considers himself cured.

Dalek, since you never experienced pleasure, then maybe you're not in such a bad position. Do you feel unfulfilled?

🇺🇲PhilX🇺🇲
Don't get me wrong. I know what pleasure is. Lately I just haven't been feeling it. I just have to work at it, try new and different things until I get a certain joy again.... I don't feel unfulfilled though. I'm otherwise okay by common standards. It doesn't feel like a hole that needs filling. Rather it feels like there is no hole to fill, so it's pointless in filling it. Does that make sense to you?
Dalek Prime

Re: 'this too shall pass'

Post by Dalek Prime »

henry quirk wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:50 pm But it might not.

Got keep breathin' anyway, Dal.
That's the one piece of advice, on many levels, that I will heed, henry lol. I can always count on you to keep it down to basics. Thanks bud. :)

Breathing is not only basic to life, but to stress relief as well, and not panicking. As long as I'm calm, and breathe, I'll have my grotesque humour to soften the blows.
Last edited by Dalek Prime on Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

I gotta keep you goin': I deemed you an 'enduring-type', remember?

If you fade away you'll make me look bad.
Dalek Prime

Re:

Post by Dalek Prime »

henry quirk wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:00 pm I gotta keep you goin': I deemed you an 'enduring-type', remember?

If you fade away you'll make me look bad.
Fuck. And I thought you were being selfless. :mrgreen:
henry quirk

me? selfless?

Post by henry quirk »

HAHAHAHAHA!

Really, though: gray it may be, this life is what you got, your one shot, see it through.
Dalek Prime

Re: me? selfless?

Post by Dalek Prime »

henry quirk wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:19 pm HAHAHAHAHA!

Really, though: gray it may be, this life is what you got, your one shot, see it through.
How can I do that when you don't care? :mrgreen:

Seriously though, I will henry. I've tried the other route ages ago, and then lost my brother to it. I'm kicking and breathing till I can't, since then.
henry quirk

"I'm kicking and breathing till I can't"

Post by henry quirk »

Good.
Dalek Prime

Re: "I'm kicking and breathing till I can't"

Post by Dalek Prime »

henry quirk wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:27 pmGood.
Mind, when my time comes, I do want to 'go gently into that good night', Dylsn Thomas be damned. :wink:
Greta

Post by Greta »

It's a danger to take people in these days. Trouble is, if you are waiting for a time when the other feels safe to go - with low wages, high unemployment and underemployment, growing overpopulation and unmanageable rents with dozens of well heeled people attending each opening - then they will never go.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Btw, I do expect to get a gold star beside my name, as well as a cookie, for trying to be as positive as a pessimist can be on this thread.

I'm waiting for my goody bag, people. Lol.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Greta wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:39 pm It's a danger to take people in these days. Trouble is, if you are waiting for a time when the other feels safe to go - with low wages, high unemployment and underemployment, growing overpopulation and unmanageable rents with dozens of well heeled people attending each opening - then they will never go.
I can see she's trying to better herself, and so I've extended her stay beyond my own good sense. But by next spring, there can be no excuse. I've done what I've can, and I'm sticking to the schedule. She's 39, and has family. They can bust a gut in my stead, if need be.

There's a reason or many why I didn't have kids or a wife. I just do better alone. I've already got one kid to care for, and that would be me.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Dalek Prime wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:43 pmBut by next spring, there can be no excuse. I've done what I've can, and I'm sticking to the schedule. She's 39, and has family. They can bust a gut in my stead, if need be.
Exactly. You have paid your dues and thus earned a gold star anyway.
Dubious

Re: "I'm kicking and breathing till I can't"

Post by Dubious »

Dalek Prime wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:37 pm Mind, when my time comes, I do want to 'go gently into that good night', Dylsn Thomas be damned.
So would most people, I imagine, but often it's not a matter of choice. I never could figure out the merit of Dylan Thomas’s most famous line of poetry. If nature offers an easy way out it would be stupid not to take it. If you haven't got a choice it's best to keep the lullabies flowing and not the screams.

There are exceptions but most poets, especially modern ones are among the dumbest people on the planet.
henry quirk

" I do want to 'go gently into that good night' "

Post by henry quirk »

Keep the worms waitin' as long as you can.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

-1- wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:54 pm
I liked your poem, btw, -1-.