Is science only for the scientists?

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Is science only for the scientists?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

It seems you need a certain personality to be a scientist.
If you look around, you're unlikely to run into those who are scientists (but it seems that scientists run in the family, including mathematicians).

What about doctors? Are they scientists? Can we all be Einsteins?

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈPhilXπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ
QuantumT

Re: Is science only for the scientists?

Post by QuantumT »

You need to realise that you are smart, before you can expliot it and reach your potential.

The average IQ of all of humanity = 100. Smart people have a 120 IQ atleast. So not all who might want to, can become scientists.

My best guess is that 1% of all people have the potential, but only a few of them know it, have the interest, and go for it.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

QuantumT wrote: ↑Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:58 pm You need to realise that you are smart, before you can expliot it and reach your potential.

The average IQ of all of humanity = 100. Smart people have a 120 IQ atleast. So not all who might want to, can become scientists.

My best guess is that 1% of all people have the potential, but only a few of them know it, have the interest, and go for it.
Average Phd is 120 IQ range.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: ↑Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:23 pm It seems you need a certain personality to be a scientist.
If you look around, you're unlikely to run into those who are scientists (but it seems that scientists run in the family, including mathematicians).

What about doctors? Are they scientists? Can we all be Einsteins?

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈPhilXπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ
Through hard work and study you can change your IQ by 20-30 points...so yes but it takes sacrifice and focus.
osgart

Post by osgart »

I took an iq test from BMI. I scored a 120 , above 130 is gifted, 144 on up is highly gifted. I never had the opportunity to get a PhD. I have a rebellious attitude toward intellectuals, i find that people with exceptional memories though maybe not so intelligent can make quite a good living. Its more about passion and persistence, then iq imo.

The highest iq wont serve you too well if you are lazy.
Skip

Post by Skip »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: ↑Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:23 pm It seems you need a certain personality to be a scientist.
Yes: you need interest in the physical world, curiosity, attention to detail and an analytical approach.
If you look around, you're unlikely to run into those who are scientists
Why? They go to ball-games (look for the ones with their shirts on and no face paint) and restaurants (talking earnestly to a. a bored fix-up date, b. an equally earnest colleague or c. an indulgent spouse) take their kids to the zoo (that's the dad explaining why the monkey is doing that, while his 13-yeqr-old daughter prays for the pavement to open up and swallow her) and shop for food in grocery stores (see that woman trying to read the teeny print on the back of a package in dim supermarket lighting?)
but it seems that scientists run in the family, including mathematicians
Mathematical/musical ability may be genetically linked, but there are many quite diverse sciences that require different skill-sets, which can come from any ancestral background. However, the attitude toward reason, critical thinking, observation and logical deduction is both taught at an early age and encouraged throughout childhood in some families, while it's absent, neglected, mocked or actively opposed in other families. Environment and opportunity are major factors.
What about doctors? Are they scientists?
Some are. Those doctors gravitate toward medical research and/or innovation. All doctors must absorb a great deal of scientific information during their studies, so they need a degree of scientific ability, but that doesn't automatically turn one into a scientist. To be a good doctor, one needs attributes not required in a scientist: less objectivity, more empathy. It's enough to be a skilled healer.
Can we all be Einsteins?
None of us can be Einsteins. Nobody, ever, can be Einstein again.
But then, nobody else can ever be πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈPhilXπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ either.
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Have you ever met any? I know loads of scientists and they are pretty much just average folks.
Philosophy Explorer

FlashDangerpants wrote: ↑Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:47 am
Have you ever met any? I know loads of scientists and they are pretty much just average folks.
Have I ever met any??? Frequently in college and I personally helped one out.

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²PhilXπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²
FlashDangerpants

Philosophy Explorer wrote: ↑Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:34 pm

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²PhilXπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²
You personally helped a scientist out you say? I assume this is when you sold him a TV and helped carry it to the car?
Philosophy Explorer

FlashDangerpants wrote: ↑Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:17 am

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²PhilXπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²
You personally helped a scientist out you say? I assume this is when you sold him a TV and helped carry it to the car?
A comedian you'll never be.

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²PhilXπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

osgart wrote: ↑Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:32 am I took an iq test from BMI. I scored a 120 , above 130 is gifted, 144 on up is highly gifted. I never had the opportunity to get a PhD. I have a rebellious attitude toward intellectuals, i find that people with exceptional memories though maybe not so intelligent can make quite a good living. Its more about passion and persistence, then iq imo.

The highest iq wont serve you too well if you are lazy.
True, it is all hard work at the end of the day.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

FlashDangerpants wrote: ↑Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:17 am

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²PhilXπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²
I worked with a Harvard professor before....they are not all cracked up to be what everyone thinks they are.
Philosophy Explorer

Aside from FDP's very poor attempt at humor, it's true that I did help out a chemistry college professor with his project. He was at an intermediate stage where he tried to synthesize a compound (and failed twice). I suggested trying a different reaction to make the compound. He directed me to the library to find a different reaction out of a book. Found a reaction and we tried it. It (apparently) worked, (he rejected my suggestion to test the product to make sure we had the desired compound).
The summer ended and I resumed my classes during the fall semester.

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²PhilXπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²
FlashDangerpants

Philosophy Explorer wrote: ↑Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:25 pm Aside from FDP's very poor attempt at humor, it's true that I did help out a chemistry college professor with his project. He was at an intermediate stage where he tried to synthesize a compound (and failed twice). I suggested trying a different reaction to make the compound. He directed me to the library to find a different reaction out of a book. Found a reaction and we tried it. It (apparently) worked, (he rejected my suggestion to test the product to make sure we had the desired compound).
The summer ended and I resumed my classes during the fall semester.

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²PhilXπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²
That's sort of a sad story when you think about it...

You used to be some sort of above averagely bright young man if the story you tell us is true. But now you are the guy who starts all the shittest conversations on the internet, and thinks that the motto in this phrase is profound...
Philosophy Explorer wrote: ↑Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:54 pm My sales motto which contains my philosophy is
"The more I sell, the less I sell and the less I sell, the more I sell." I leave it to you to figure out exactly what I mean in its many implications.
Nonetheless, Eggnogg is correct, scientists in real life are not some ultra special class that stands apart from other people. I was in a pub last Friday with about 30 assorted molecular biologists, bionformaticians, and other science guys who do stuff with DNA. Occasionally they do say something I don't understand about magnesium. But most of the time they talk about football, holidays and all the other stuff that everyone else talks about too. They are normal people, who happen to have put in more effort than most others.
Philosophy Explorer

FDP said:

"You used to be some sort of above averagely bright young man if the story you tell us is true. But now you are the guy who starts all the shittest conversations on the internet, and thinks that the motto in this phrase is profound..."

Just one of the guys, same as you (but I don't do ad homs).

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈPhilXπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ