hi i am back

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Re: hi i am back

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:57 pm
Philosophy Explorer wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:45 pm The origin of "Yankee" is unknown.:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yankee

🇺🇲PhilX🇺🇲
Did you even read the thing? Do you know what 'origin' means? Do you have a point? How stupid can a person be who posts links to articles that make him look ever stupider?
Look in the mirror for your answer.

🇺🇲PhilX🇺🇲
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:43 pm
Perhaps y'all don't know that there was a civil war, and the north won. And I believe the word was 'yankee'. 'Yank' can refer to anyone from north or south. Does the term UNITED States mean anything to you?

Again you make a fool of yourself and show your lack of education and ignorance of your own country.
i know about the civil war - and that the yankees won

you might as well argue that southern states are now northern states because the north won
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:45 pm The origin of "Yankee" is unknown.:

origin of many words is not known

that does not mean that their meaning is not known
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

🇺🇲PhilX🇺🇲
Not saying it is, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's a take off the Dutch word 'Jonkheer'.
RickLewis

Post by RickLewis »

From memory, Bill Bryson in his book "Mother Tongue" speculates that Yankees is derived from the Dutch "Jan Kees" meaning "John Cheese", apparently the name of a sort of stock character in Dutch culture. If correct, this would mean that the word Yankees dates back to the time of the Dutch colonies in North America.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

funny, but not a yankee

-Imp
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

RickLewis wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:36 pm From memory, Bill Bryson in his book "Mother Tongue" speculates that Yankees is derived from the Dutch "Jan Kees" meaning "John Cheese", apparently the name of a sort of stock character in Dutch culture. If correct, this would mean that the word Yankees dates back to the time of the Dutch colonies in North America.
Had a feeling Americans were stock characters, but couldn't prove it lol! Just kidding, Yanks. ;)
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Kayla wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:45 pmTo many of my peers, i am still 'that psycho melt-down queen'
Huh?!?! ..never noticed!
But wb, hope to hear some wisdom of yours, specially on automated modern farming!