The supernatural

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Sir-Sister-of-Suck

Re: The supernatural

Post by Sir-Sister-of-Suck »

bahman wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:40 pmI want to try Acid. :mrgreen:
gaffo wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:51 am2. be with someone you know, and trust and make sure they remain sober during your trip.
I would actually recommend that you don't do this. There's a type of introspective that can only come about when you're by yourself, but whatever makes you feel more comfortable.

1p-LSD is the only analog I would do, or LSA. I would recommend having a couple benzodiazepines on you in case you feel you need them. Know that I personally never really enjoyed it, though.
Greta wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:09 amAcid never worked for me, mostly just making me paranoid. I do remember one time thinking that every little thing was significant - the coffee cup was sitting at the corner of the table and that was the only place that the cup could be at that time - it had to be exactly in that spot etc. LSD basically brings on a massive case of pareidolia, seeing patterns in what is actually chaotic.
It wasn't a very enjoyable experience for me either. I think a had a similar experience, I'd have to go and look back on what I wrote in my trip report. I think I got more out of LSA, and I know I enjoyed it more when I had a benzo. In general I'm not a very big fan of psychedelics, I was instead one of those lunatics who would like to smoke salvia and drink OTC cough syrup. I definitely wouldn't be able to enjoy either of those things now, though. I've grown out of that naiveté.
Sir-Sister-of-Suck

Post by Sir-Sister-of-Suck »

gaffo wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:38 amBTW - not sure who here has had strong pot, but the good stuff will fck you up for a couple of hours - including ssllllloooowwwing time, feeling HUGE (like you are 20 ft tall), seeing stuff in "2d" (like looking though binoculars - stuff (cars/trees/etc - are sheets of paper).

refering to high grade weed, not the weak stuff that mellow you to sleeping.
Pot seems to be something that affects me in a very odd way. I've heard about the time distortion thing, but for me it is the exact opposite. In the highest dosage of pot that I've ever (eaten) taken, time seemed significantly sped up. I've also never been able to sleep on pot, no matter what dosage, strain or how I take it. Even CBD extract seems to give me energy in an odd way.

Although I'm relatively new to trying this because my state only legalized it a while ago.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:12 pm I've also never been able to sleep on pot, no matter what
I fell asleep a few times on the pot. Quite a trip, I tell you. The worst is when you slink so deep in your posture, that your testicles touch the water with the floaters in there. No matter how deep is your slumber, you jump up with "YIKE!" like Archimedes when he screamed "heureka!"

And at that point you reeka certainly bad, too.
QuantumT

Post by QuantumT »

-1- wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:08 pm I fell asleep a few times on the pot. Quite a trip, I tell you. The worst is when you slink so deep in your posture, that your testicles touch the water with the floaters in there. No matter how deep is your slumber, you jump up with "YIKE!" like Archimedes when he screamed "heureka!"

Truly paranormal! "Thanks" for sharing! :mrgreen:
Greta

Post by Greta »

Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:53 pm
bahman wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:40 pmI want to try Acid. :mrgreen:
gaffo wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:51 am2. be with someone you know, and trust and make sure they remain sober during your trip.
I would actually recommend that you don't do this. There's a type of introspective that can only come about when you're by yourself, but whatever makes you feel more comfortable.

1p-LSD is the only analog I would do, or LSA. I would recommend having a couple benzodiazepines on you in case you feel you need them. Know that I personally never really enjoyed it, though.
Greta wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:09 amAcid never worked for me, mostly just making me paranoid. I do remember one time thinking that every little thing was significant - the coffee cup was sitting at the corner of the table and that was the only place that the cup could be at that time - it had to be exactly in that spot etc. LSD basically brings on a massive case of pareidolia, seeing patterns in what is actually chaotic.
It wasn't a very enjoyable experience for me either. I think a had a similar experience, I'd have to go and look back on what I wrote in my trip report. I think I got more out of LSA, and I know I enjoyed it more when I had a benzo. In general I'm not a very big fan of psychedelics, I was instead one of those lunatics who would like to smoke salvia and drink OTC cough syrup. I definitely wouldn't be able to enjoy either of those things now, though. I've grown out of that naiveté.
I was a psychonaut too. Young people are curious and experiment. You either grow out of experimentation or you lead a short life replete with ever more risky experiments. Each is a valid way of living a life. I think of the "27 club" - all those pop musicians who died at age 27 - they packed more achievement and activity in their short lives than I and many others have managed in mover double that time. They are supernovas while many of us are more like red dwarfs :)

I actually wouldn't recommend LSD to anyone based on my experiences; it taught me nothing. I consider weed to be infinitely better on all levels aside from lung health, although vaping can greatly reduce that load too. Also, towering works of the imagination are possible without psychedelics, such as Olaf Stapledon's sci-fi novel, Star Maker http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks06/0601841.txt, written in 1937 and presumably before psychedelic drugs were well known but probably trippier than anything I've come across aside from Burroughs.

I note that a number of these supernatural experiences are journeys in the mind - there's no physical effect.
-1-

Post by -1- »

QuantumT wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:05 pm
-1- wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:08 pm I fell asleep a few times on the pot. Quite a trip, I tell you. The worst is when you slink so deep in your posture, that your testicles touch the water with the floaters in there. No matter how deep is your slumber, you jump up with "YIKE!" like Archimedes when he screamed "heureka!"

Truly paranormal! "Thanks" for sharing! :mrgreen:
Paranormal, as in Paramedical attention is needed?

But you might just be right on the button, it is probably precisely what it feels like when the icy hands of the Grim Reaper grabs you like Trump, leading you from our dream world into the netherworld.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

I did a lot of LSD in my twenties, particularly when I was married. My experiences reaffirmed and magnified my connection with all. It changed who I was (and how I've thought about things since) -- by blasting the doors off of my perception of reality at the time. Twice I was affected by the negative energy of the person I was with, but my own intentions helped me through it -- still, it was very challenging.

I would not recommend psychedelics to anyone unless they know how to stay centered with positive energy and love (in their normal everyday life). That includes the people you're with. Your energy affects the way you travel beyond your normal thinking: Loving and respectful, or something else. I think psychedelics MAGNIFY whatever energy you're vibrating in. It's best to consciously set your intention from the beginning too. (Just like daily life.)

I smoked a lot of pot during those years too. I don't do either anymore. I'm perma-tripping now off of life and the cosmos naturally, baby! Even while manifesting and managing a bountiful life. THERE ARE NO RULES. It's up to each of us, how we do or don't allow challenges to turn our trip bad (I certainly struggle with this at times!)... and what we create with the energy we TAKE ON. It doesn't have to be any particular way. It's ALL accessible. LIFE is a TRIP... and we can consciously set our intention to create our experience of it, regardless of the surroundings we find ourselves in.
Last edited by Lacewing on Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Strand

Post by Mike Strand »

Greta wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:44 pm Whether any of these events are "supernatural" or "unusual nature" is another matter.
Many of you have related interesting or amazing experiences related to use of mind-altering substances (e.g., marijuana, LSD, maybe even chocolate or sugar :D ). Someone may just say, "Well, I think these experiences were caused by an ingested substance, so it isn't supernatural". This may well be a valid observation. But it makes me wonder. Do we really understand the causes (in the brain, presumably) of hallucinations or other kinds of amazing/puzzling experiences supposedly resulting from ingesting substances, or from hunger, or lack of oxygen, or any number of potential supposed causes?

Here's my definition for the supernatural which appears in the thread, "Droll Implications of the Supernatural":

The supernatural: That part of reality containing events, the causes of which humans are incapable of understanding or explaining due to the inherent limitations of Homo sapiens.

Does anyone see a possible flaw in this definition? I would be interested in hearing your thoughts, and also suggestions for improving the definition.

For those of you who don't accept the existence of a supernatural realm, that's OK, but we still need a definition of "supernatural" to be able to decide whether it might exist or not!* The spirit of this thread, after all, is to be open-minded about the possibility of the supernatural and associated "miracles". This is what I've tried to do in the other thread on the droll implications.

*Sometimes a person tells me they believe that God exists, or that they don't believe God exists, and ask me if I agree with them. I ask them to define what their idea of "God" is. Then I may be able to decide whether such a God may or may not exist.
Last edited by Mike Strand on Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Mike Strand wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:59 pm The supernatural: That part of reality containing events, the causes of which humans are incapable of understanding or explaining due to the inherent limitations of Homo sapiens.
I agree. I think the "super" natural is that which is beyond the common/ordinary natural which we humans use to define the entire universe... because it's all we know, and we like to think we know everything. :D Many of us feel fear at the idea that there could be much that we cannot see, hear, understand, and control. It messes with our identities and our stories too. We are very physical and dense in our models of thinking.
Mike Strand

Post by Mike Strand »

Thanks, Lacewing! I appreciate your vote of confidence in my definition! I rather like it, too.

But ... I can't help but think of the possibility of other life forms on other planets -- sentient beings who may be capable of understanding more of "nature" than can human beings. As you suggest, Homo sapiens may have only scratched the surface of what there is to know about reality (everything that exists -- I leave it to philosophers to define "to exist").

Some of what we don't know today may become known to us later, but how much is there to know? And is there any part of it that may be "knowable" to some other life form (maybe even one on our own planet) that cannot be known to us as human beings?

This is why I'm taking another look at my definition of "the supernatural".
Mike Strand

Post by Mike Strand »

Lacewing wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:09 pm
Mike Strand wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:59 pm The supernatural: That part of reality containing events, the causes of which humans are incapable of understanding or explaining due to the inherent limitations of Homo sapiens.
I agree. I think the "super" natural is that which is beyond the common/ordinary natural which we humans use to define the entire universe... because it's all we know, and we like to think we know everything. :D Many of us feel fear at the idea that there could be much that we cannot see, hear, understand, and control. It messes with our identities and our stories too. We are very physical and dense in our models of thinking.
I meant to quote you in the post above, Lacewing, but forgot -- sorry. See my reply to you above.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Mike Strand wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:23 pm I can't help but think of the possibility of other life forms on other planets -- sentient beings who may be capable of understanding more of "nature" than can human beings.
I think that's completely possible... however... here's the trippy part... sentient beings may be on a different "frequency" than we are, so our frequency of our nature of "solid" planets may not be solid or applicable to them.
Mike Strand wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:23 pm As you suggest, Homo sapiens may have only scratched the surface of what there is to know about reality...
There are surely more levels to OUR reality that we have yet to discover -- but there may be MORE realities that are not defined by our reality.
Mike Strand wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:23 pmSome of what we don't know today may become known to us later
This is another tricky/trippy part -- we tend to view everything in our own linear terms (time, distance, process) -- when, in fact, all may be accessible right here and now, based on frequency or vibration or however one might describe it. The range of our own experience may be like the difference between squinting one's sight for a very restricted view... or opening one's sight wider and wider... which could be how seemingly extraordinarily brilliant people see things that others don't.
Mike Strand wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:23 pmAnd is there any part of it that may be "knowable" to some other life form (maybe even one on our own planet) that cannot be known to us as human beings?
Probably... like we are aware of ants building their complexes and trudging through their work. It would make sense to me that there would be energy forms that would be aware of us and perhaps sharing the same space that we do (like layers upon layers of energy and "realities"), but they could have no need to interact with us. There could also be some who DO study us with fascination... and maybe poke a stick in our complexes... just to be mean or curious.
Mike Strand

Post by Mike Strand »

Mike Strand wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:23 pm Some of what we don't know today may become known to us later, but how much is there to know? And is there any part of it that may be "knowable" to some other life form (maybe even one on our own planet) that cannot be known to us as human beings?

This is why I'm taking another look at my definition of "the supernatural".
If my definition of supernatural changes, this would imply the necessity to change my definition of "nature":

Nature: That part of reality having causes and corresponding effects or events that human beings are able to witness and understand and explain. This is the so-called physical world -- the domain of scientific study.

In effect, I've posed "reality" as consisting of two mutually exclusive realms: nature, and the supernatural. That is, the supernatural would then be definable as that part of reality that is not part of nature, if such a part exists.
Mike Strand

Post by Mike Strand »

Lacewing wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:52 pm
Mike Strand wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:23 pm I can't help but think of the possibility of other life forms on other planets -- sentient beings who may be capable of understanding more of "nature" than can human beings.
I think that's completely possible... however... here's the trippy part... sentient beings may be on a different "frequency" than we are, so our frequency of our nature of "solid" planets may not be solid or applicable to them.
Mike Strand wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:23 pm As you suggest, Homo sapiens may have only scratched the surface of what there is to know about reality...
There are surely more levels to OUR reality that we have yet to discover -- but there may be MORE realities that are not defined by our reality.
Mike Strand wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:23 pmSome of what we don't know today may become known to us later
This is another tricky/trippy part -- we tend to view everything in our own linear terms (time, distance, process) -- when, in fact, all may be accessible right here and now, based on frequency or vibration or however one might describe it. The range of our own experience may be like the difference between squinting one's sight for a very restricted view... or opening one's sight wider and wider... which could be how seemingly extraordinarily brilliant people see things that others don't.
Mike Strand wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:23 pmAnd is there any part of it that may be "knowable" to some other life form (maybe even one on our own planet) that cannot be known to us as human beings?
Probably... like we are aware of ants building their complexes and trudging through their work. It would make sense to me that there would be energy forms that would be aware of us and perhaps sharing the same space that we do (like layers upon layers of energy and "realities"), but they could have no need to interact with us. There could also be some who DO study us with fascination... and maybe poke a stick in our complexes... just to be mean or curious.
Lacewing, your thoughts are spot-on, I think, and they help me understand my own concerns about how "nature" and the "supernatural" might be better defined.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Mike Strand wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:02 pm Lacewing, your thoughts are spot-on, I think, and they help me understand my own concerns about how "nature" and the "supernatural" might be better defined.
I'm glad you found value in them.

I think the "supernatural" is a challenge to us to look beyond our own limited models... which is simply all that our models can be! So if someone feels compelled to completely "blow off" all potential of the supernatural, then I think it points to their attachment to their own limited models... and that's what they should really be afraid of. :lol: