The supernatural

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

QuantumT

The supernatural

Post by QuantumT »

Have you ever experienced something that is best descibed as supernatural or paranormal?

If so, please share your story!

And to those of you who are sceptical towards the possibility of this subject:
Please hold your horses, and allow people to tell their stories, without being debunked and mocked. Thanks :wink:
Lacewing

Re: The supernatural

Post by Lacewing »

QuantumT wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:19 pm Have you ever experienced something that is best descibed as supernatural or paranormal?
Yes. There was some kind of unseen presence that was felt and heard for a brief time in the home I grew up in. It just suddenly showed up. The first encounter was when it brushed smoothly across the side of my face (like a caring gesture), which was utterly confusing to me when it happened. After that, I seemed to become familiar that something was there, even though I couldn't see it or explain it. The final encounter was when it seemed to summon me to one of the rooms of our home. My mother and I were just returning home from the grocery store, and I suddenly knew from outside the home, that it (whatever it was) was in there, and I had absolutely no fear (and, in fact, felt inexplicably eager and excited) in going to encounter it! I hurried to the house ahead of my mom, and when I opened the door of the room, I heard a loud sound as if something had just been sucked out of the room -- and I stood there, just feeling the charged atmosphere. It was exhilarating -- and perhaps that's the closest I could get to it. I found out that same presence had also awakened my mom from sleep by sitting heavily on her hip, as she laid on her side -- and she said it did not lift off immediately when she awoke, and it terrified her. She hadn't told me initially because she didn't want to scare me. I think it liked me, but perhaps not my mom. Strange and unexplained... even to this day... but it happened.
QuantumT

Post by QuantumT »

Lacewing wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:37 pm
Thanks for sharing!

I've had one myself.

When I was a kid, my mom and her friends had fun with homemade Ouija boards. I though it was exiting to participate.
When one particular of her friends were there, something strange happened.
I could think of any letter/number, and it would instantly go there! But only when she was there! And it never failed!

I consider it to have been telepathy. Only explanation that makes sense to me.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Many years ago, I attended an hour-long psychic testing workshop. There were about 25 people in the class. For the main exercise, the leader would look at a card with a symbol on it, and mentally transmit it to us. We each had a score-sheet with the same series of 5-6 possible symbols shown for each of the 20 turns, and we were to draw a box around the symbol we "saw" in our mind. Then as he revealed the symbol he was transmitting, we were to draw a circle around that on our score-sheet.

To get started, he asked us to close our eyes and open our minds for his transmission. Immediately, I was bombarded with a bunch of noise that sounded like people's voices. The room was actually quiet, but it sounded like I was in a room full of people talking in my head -- it was overwhelming, and it made my head hurt. Then the teacher started the exercise. Despite all the noise, I felt like I was getting distinctly clear impressions of the symbols. Yet, as he revealed each card he was holding, I was getting every one wrong! Considering how clear the impressions had been in my mind, the results were confusing.

At the end of the exercise, there were a few people like me who hadn't gotten any right, and the teacher said... "Okay, now, look at your score-sheets, and compare your answers to the next card that was to be drawn." And wow... based on that, I had nearly every one right. He explained that the exercise showed how some people are better at telepathy, while others (like me) are more attuned to precognition. I might have been more fascinated by the exercise and results if I didn't have such a headache from all the confusing voices. I approached the teacher after the class to ask about it. He was on his way out the door, so he answered fast and brief, "Yes, that happens for some people. You need to work on your filters." At the time, I didn't know what I was supposed to do with that. Poor kid! Life's hard lessons apparently helped me eventually figure it out. :)

Although there can be skepticism about the workshop itself, what can't be explained away (for me) is suddenly hearing all of those thoughts in the room. When a person has such a significant sensory experience for themselves, revealing other "frequencies/channels" that he/she isn't normally operating on, it can demonstrate the existence of much more potential. That likely changes one's "operational wiring" going forward. This is why I say: All that we think we know, is not all there is.

I think that our controlled realities and stories are suited for our comfort and entertainment, and we tend to ignore the switches that would turn on the lights. Nothing wrong with that. But there's also nothing wrong with seeing and exploring that there is MORE to work with, and that we can be more conscious about playing on the stage.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

I must have been about 5 years old when this happened to me. My great grandparents visited and smiled in approval at me.

My grandparents moved from Jersey to an apartment in DC. I was helping. As I sat next to the bed, unpacking some books, I looked over my left shoulder and saw 2 strangers. They were standing next to each other in the doorway, about 10 feet from where I sat.

They were modestly dressed. The man wore a charcoal suit and a white shirt. The woman wore a turquoise dress. It was short sleeved, ending about 3 inches or so past her elbows. It covered her from her shoulders to her ankles. I don't remember anything about her shoes.

They both had dark hair and brown eyes. They both were smiling slightly, like they were expressing pleasant satisfaction. It was odd that they were sort of translucent and their shapes were waving like a TV with the horizontal hold on the fritz. But I thought nothing of it.

I saw them for at most 3 seconds, then I turned my attention back to the books. I assumed that the 2 of them owned the apartment my grandparents were going to rent. Big deal. The owners were happy to see that I was helping my grandparents.

I crossed through the living room, I noticed a picture in a frame with gold relief and a black background. The picture frame was probably about 4 inches tall and almost 3 inches in width. The picture was of the 2 strangers. They were standing next to each other exactly as I had seen them. They were wearing the same clothes I had seen before.

I said to my mother something about how nice it was that Grandma had a picture of the landlord and landlady on her coffee table. Mom told me that they weren't the apartment owners. They were Grandma’s parents.

I told Mom that I had just met them in the bedroom. Mom said that it was impossible for me to have met them. After all, they were dead.
Sir-Sister-of-Suck

Post by Sir-Sister-of-Suck »

I've never experienced anything that could be perceived as supernatural when I've specifically tried to seek it out, through demon boards and things like that. There was this one thing with a door when my grandma died, but it's just too stupid when I think about it now. There are definitely experiences while I was on drugs, or related to drugs that I would describe as very super-natural feeling.

The night after I had taken acid, I had this very powerful 'third-eye' dream. I had actually taken acid in the dream itself, and I was walking around my house as I began to enter into a state of pure delusion, where every time I went back into the same room, my visual interpretation of the room would change, but you just know that the contents of the room actually don't. To be clear this is not how I would describe any effect of acid, the effect that I was getting in the dream was more akin to a salvia-type dissociation with reality.

Anyway, I eventually went back into my bedroom to lay down in my bed when I glanced over and suddenly saw a blinking eyeball in the palm of my hand. My forehead started to get really itchy so I got up to look in my mirror, moved my hair back and saw a bulging eyeball between the middle of my forehead. Even though I woke up a few moments after seeing this, I remember I had this feeling like the dream became super-realistic right as I saw it. When I did wake up, my forehead actually was itchy, and so the palm of my hands - especially the palm of my hands.

I thought a lot about this when it happened, but it happened such a long time ago at this point. As you tend to forget your dreams fairly quick, the only reason I remember it at all was because I wrote it down. Maybe there's some sort of dream interpretation that could be done with this, but honestly I didn't feel like I had any special new abilities after the dream. Even though I'm definitely not the Mckenna type who thinks that the hallucinations or intuitions you get from drugs are real, I don't think I could deny that my own use of psychedelics and dissociates has made me more open to the idea that the supernatural exists.
Greta

Post by Greta »

It was odd that they were sort of translucent and their shapes were waving like a TV with the horizontal hold on the fritz.
I saw things similarly during a peak experience I had in 2001. My recollections were:
In January this year one lunchtime I decided to get out of the office and walk in Hyde Park. As I approached Archibald Fountain it struck me what a truly gorgeous day it was. Not a cloud in the sky. Perfect temperature with a beautiful, gentle breeze. The fountain's spray looked glorious with its backdrop of the magnificent St Mary's church and a perfect blue sky. Everybody around looked so relaxed and happy - lazing, chatting, playing chess, reading.

I thought to myself, "This is perfect!" and felt a wave of bliss run through me. At that moment the scene shimmered in front of my eyes, and it took on an unearthly look. It was as though I'd been transported into what felt like the heavenly equivalent of Archibald Fountain in Hyde Park, if that makes any sense. The fountain, the church, the sky, the pavement, the people; they all took on an insubstantial, ethereal look, almost ghostly. A bit monochrome, like a sepia photo. Almost golden, as if made from shimmering waves.

The vision disappeared in an instant and everything returned to normal, although the sense of bliss remained, but less strong because I was distracted in trying to work out how to bring the vision back.

I am not a cosmic person. I don't see visions. Even 20 years ago or so when I used to drop the odd tab of acid, I never hallucinated, much to my chagrin at the time. I've never seen a ghost and have never seriously believed in them, nor anything superstitious. But this was a special moment. I knew it happened as a result of the good feelings I was having at the time.
In the days afterwards my thinking was more clear than usual and I got my head around a number of problems I was having at the time, with lasting positive effects.
Last edited by Greta on Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Greta wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:29 am...
That was beautiful, Greta. I can relate to it.

I'm enjoying hearing these experiences that people have had.

One of my peak experiences (which I've recounted here before, I think) happened when I was walking on the land, thinking about some interactions I'd had with a troubled neighbor/friend. I was asking the Universe to show me what I needed to see, and I had just walked up a slope and turned around to look back onto the rolling land and trees, under a huge open blue sky... and suddenly I was completely filled with an understanding that "transcended" typical reality/experience. I knew without any mental noise or struggle that everything (all of life) was truly fine just as it is. I could feel a vast perfection that existed "behind" the surface dramas. All was included in that perfection... and it was beautiful. The sense I had of it seemed to be gushing forth, as if from a cosmic fire-hose. I basked in it... allowing it to flow. It occurred to me that perhaps I could continue (or return to) resonating in that space... and how that might "change everything" about what I experience. But I would want my friends to be sharing it with me, and that didn't seem to be how things were vibrating at that point in time. That experience (along with some others) is why I think that there are many "vibrations", and our vibration quite possibly affects everything about our reality/experience.

I've just thought of two other supernatural experiences...

Once when I was hiking through the dessert, I was talking to the person behind me, and as I stepped forward, I suddenly passed through a shimmering field/plane/doorway. It happened so fast -- I noticed it only as I passed through it -- it's not like I could stop before doing it.

Another experience was when I was 7 or 8 years old, and I was in a car accident. A tire blew out on my mother's car, and she slammed into the center concrete divider. I awoke laying on the road. I could see my mother standing near the car, talking to a man. My head felt wet. I became aware of a beautiful radiant woman kneeling beside me. I reached my hand up to touch my head, and then withdrew it -- it was covered in blood. The woman was smiling at me. I asked her, "Am I going to die?" She communicated to me with such peace, "No, you're going to be just fine." The ambulance arrived, and she was gone. Later I asked my mom about the woman, and she said there had been no woman there. My sense is that the "woman" was a radiant angel/being of some sort... drawn in to offer comfort. An overlapping of frequencies, perhaps. :)
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Please don't make it look like I said something that someone else said.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

commonsense wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:52 pm Please don't make it look like I said something that someone else said.
Please clarify... who are you talking to, and what exactly are you referring to? Greta's post? Her second quote is introduced with the words "My recollections were..." (it was clear to me that it was her own experience).
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Lacewing wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:38 pm
commonsense wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:52 pm Please don't make it look like I said something that someone else said.
Please clarify... who are you talking to, and what exactly are you referring to? Greta's post? Her second quote is introduced with the words "My recollections were..." (it was clear to me that it was her own experience).
Lacewing wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:38 pm Please don't make it look like I said something that someone else said.
Sorry, I seem to have been blind to the words "My recollections were...".
My post was intended for Greta, but I've seen this happen often enough that I can't restrain myself from sending my quibbling out to any reader.
OK, maybe I'm just quibbling unnecessarily. It's a painstaking task to get all the quotation marks and attributions to correspond. :oops:
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

commonsense wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:53 pm It's a painstaking task to get all the quotation marks and attributions to correspond. :oops:
Yes... do you see what you just attributed to me now (in the second quote)? :lol:

Your previous post before that was immediately following my post, which made it seem like you were talking to me... although I hadn't quoted you. So, that's why I responded to you... and now I'm going to go celebrate that we've gotten this all straightened out. :lol:
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Lacewing wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:23 amI've just thought of two other supernatural experiences...

Once when I was hiking through the dessert, I was talking to the person behind me, and as I stepped forward, I suddenly passed through a shimmering field/plane/doorway. It happened so fast -- I noticed it only as I passed through it -- it's not like I could stop before doing it.
Hang on, what flavour was the dessert, what type of dessert was it?
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

attofishpi wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:52 am
Lacewing wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:23 amI've just thought of two other supernatural experiences...

Hang on, what flavour was the dessert, what type of dessert was it?
:lol: Oops! I must have been craving sweets when I wrote that. If it was a dessert, it would have been chocolate of some sort... and yes, that might give me the same kind of experience as above. :D But, of course, I meant desert.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Lacewing wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:48 am
commonsense wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:53 pm It's a painstaking task to get all the quotation marks and attributions to correspond. :oops:
Yes... do you see what you just attributed to me now (in the second quote)? :lol:

Your previous post before that was immediately following my post, which made it seem like you were talking to me... although I hadn't quoted you. So, that's why I responded to you... and now I'm going to go celebrate that we've gotten this all straightened out. :lol:

With what will you celebrate? Chocolate?