God and Evil

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

-1-

Re: God and Evil

Post by -1- »

Belinda wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:04 pm Dr. Abimbola, the singular of 'phenomena' is 'phenomenon'. I resent your winning a PhD and not using proper English.
A lot of people who have won a Ph.D. degree use improper English. They seem to come from the ranks of doctorate winners who won it in a hand of Poker, or a lucky bet, or on the horses.

Me, I gots me Ph.D. by winning a sack race in the Oxford fields.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Somebody here threw in the question, "what is evil if we discount religion and god." They replied to their own question that it's undefinable or something.

I have very clear views on good and evil.

Good is something that happens and affects my life and my "tribe" positively.

Evil is something that happens and impacts my life and my "tribe" negatively.

I.e. Good and evil are hopelessly relative. If two countries go to war against each other, then they both call themselves and their allies "good" and the enemy, "evil".

Humans are so transparent.

This concept got out of hand with the building of hierarchical societies. "Good" is what everyone around you tells you is good; and wrong or evil is also by apparent consensus.

But the apparent consensus can be influenced and influenced heavily by forcing a norm that is not natural, by the ruling class on the subservient classes. "Do not steal", "do not lie", "do not kill", "respect and obey the law", etc. are social institutions designed to help the life of the rich ruling classes. The enforcement and deterring from some crime is "good" behaviour. This type of behaviour is mutually, reciprocally and universally good over a society: like don't murder each other. But "don't steal" heavily favours those who have, and disfavours those who don't have.
jayjacobus

Post by jayjacobus »

Do you really know how God thinks or why he acts? He could have a plan which binds him to act in a certain way or he could make snap judgements. We don't know. And we don't know if God is logical or deterministic. How can we judge God when we can't walk a mile in his shoes or even an inch.
jayjacobus

Post by jayjacobus »

When God spoke to a prophet was his instructions a suggestion or a command? And was the Word just for the prophet or was it for all mankind? Did God want a covenant or was he making a suggestion? How do we know? The prophets told us so. Do people listen to God or the profets? We can certainly make up our own minds.
Last edited by jayjacobus on Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Walker

Post by Walker »

jayjacobus wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:43 pm Do you really know how God thinks or why he acts? He could have a plan which binds him to act in a certain way or he could make snap judgements. We don't know. And we don't know if God is logical or deterministic. How can we judge God when we can't walk a mile in his shoes or even an inch.
Really. Come on.

Do you really know how a man thinks or why he acts? He could have a plan which binds him to act in a certain way or he could make snap judgements. We don't know. And we don't know if a man is logical or deterministic. How can we judge a man when we can't walk a mile in his shoes or even an inch.

Do you really know how a woman thinks or why she acts? She could have a plan which binds her to act in a certain way or she could make snap judgements. We don't know. And we don't know if a woman is logical or deterministic. How can we judge a woman when we can't walk a mile in her pumps or even an inch.

Do you see now?
jayjacobus

Post by jayjacobus »

Walker wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:03 pm
jayjacobus wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:43 pm Do you really know how God thinks or why he acts? He could have a plan which binds him to act in a certain way or he could make snap judgements. We don't know. And we don't know if God is logical or deterministic. How can we judge God when we can't walk a mile in his shoes or even an inch.
Really. Come on.

Do you really know how a man thinks or why he acts? He could have a plan which binds him to act in a certain way or he could make snap judgements. We don't know. And we don't know if a man is logical or deterministic. How can we judge a man when we can't walk a mile in his shoes or even an inch.

Do you really know how a woman thinks or why she acts? She could have a plan which binds her to act in a certain way or she could make snap judgements. We don't know. And we don't know if a woman is logical or deterministic. How can we judge a woman when we can't walk a mile in her pumps or even an inch.

Do you see now?
The man or woman will say why they did what they did. So far God has not justified his actions or even told us what he is responsible for.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Do you really know how a bear thinks or why it acts? It could have a plan which binds it to act in a certain way or it could make snap judgments. We don't know. And we don't know if a bear is logical or deterministic. How can we judge a bear when we can't walk a mile on its paws or even an inch.

When you throw around us and we, you make huge assumptions.

You assume to speak for mankind.

To air what you don't know in the name of every person on the planet compounds the ignorance.

Who created you?
Not, who created everyone?
Not everyone.
Not us.
Not we.
You.
That's all you can speak for.

Who, or what, created you?

You?
jayjacobus

Post by jayjacobus »

Perhaps you are right (or not)

"The Lord is my shepherd. I shall not want."

That is written by one person about himself.

I like it but it is not about me. Not yet because I want (I am near poverty).

So you are saying we should take everything that has been written is only about and for that person.

Does that apply to your posts?

When I write us and we I am not writing to you. So don't be so easily offended.

And you missed my points in order to challenge my way of writing.
Walker

Post by Walker »

jj wrote:I don't care how you think.
Looks like you do care.

No offense. Just doing you a favor.
jayjacobus

Post by jayjacobus »

That's your ego talking. (and talking and talking.)

I don't care what you say. I can live my life without you.
A_Seagull

Post by A_Seagull »

Science Fan wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:50 pm So, I don't think the philosophers can be blamed for trying to educate a general public that is lazy, but rather, the blame lies with the general population that ignores philosophy.
Perhaps that is because so much of philosophy is simply wrong...
-1-

Post by -1- »

Walker wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:28 pm
jj wrote:I don't care how you think.
Looks like you do care.

No offense. Just doing you a favor.
jayjacobus wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:14 pm That's your ego talking. (and talking and talking.)

I don't care what you say. I can live my life without you.
Why don't you two rent a room already. 8) :wink:
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

-1- wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:32 am
Belinda wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:04 pm Dr. Abimbola, the singular of 'phenomena' is 'phenomenon'. I resent your winning a PhD and not using proper English.
A lot of people who have won a Ph.D. degree use improper English. They seem to come from the ranks of doctorate winners who won it in a hand of Poker, or a lucky bet, or on the horses.

Me, I gots me Ph.D. by winning a sack race in the Oxford fields.
I wonder how many other doctors have found slow sacks...

-Imp
QuantumT

Post by QuantumT »

Philosophy Now wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:58 pm If God is such a nice guy, why is there so much misery and suffering in the world?
Because he's not a nice guy!
In Islam (his latest contribution) he asks for suppression of women, beheading of enemies and world domination through lies, deception and mass murder.
In jewish scripture, you see a guy who is obsessed with punishment and war, and wants to be worshipped.
One could ask why he want's to be worshipped? For six days of work through all eternity? C'mon! Lazy son of a bitch! Fuck you "God/Allah"! You are a worthless piece of shit! Eat shit and die! You deserve nothing!!!
And why punish, when his subjects are exactly what he made them?
If God was a person, he would be diagnozed as a homicidal sociopathic egomaniac.

Ps. I don't believe in "him". I curse against the character from scriptures.
-1-

Post by -1- »

QuantumT wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:29 pm
Philosophy Now wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:58 pm If God is such a nice guy, why is there so much misery and suffering in the world?
Because he's not a nice guy!
In Islam (his latest contribution) he asks for suppression of women, beheading of enemies and world domination through lies, deception and mass murder.
In jewish scripture, you see a guy who is obsessed with punishment and war, and wants to be worshipped.
One could ask why he want's to be worshipped? For six days of work through all eternity? C'mon! Lazy son of a bitch! Fuck you "God/Allah"! You are a worthless piece of shit! Eat shit and die! You deserve nothing!!!
And why punish, when his subjects are exactly what he made them?
If God was a person, he would be diagnozed as a homicidal sociopathic egomaniac.

Ps. I don't believe in "him". I curse against the character from scriptures.
Don't blame god for humans' stupidity.

The Ten Commandments is prefaced with "I'm a mean and jealous god." Then humans have the audacity to argue against that. "No, he is not jealous, he is not mean." The god said it so himself! Why do you want to know god better than god only knows he is the best one to know himself?

Isaiah 45:7 starts with "I create goodness and I create evil." Well, people will say that is the King James Version, and in newer versions he is quoted to say differently.

Of course. The translators of KJV hadn't learned about the flak this line would generate. So they hadn't thought about lying when translating this line.