In Search Of Book...

For the discussion of philosophical books.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Gary Childress

In Search Of Book...

Post by Gary Childress »

I don't think I've ever seen a book like this (other than Wittgenstein's Tractatus) but I would love to find a book of contemporary philosophical arguments laid out step by step with premises and conclusions on numbered lines. What I mean is that most philosophy books I encounter are sort of written in a prose format--many of which seem to employ rhetoric more than logic. I very seldom see an author present arguments presented in the form of a syllogism or propositional logic in which premises and conclusion are laid out in such a way as this:

1. Premise #1:

2. Premise #2:

3. and so on...

4. Conclusion: Therefore...

What I envision is a book where many different arguments of many different current topics in philosophy are brought together and laid out in equational form so that they can be more easily evaluated using logic.

does anyone know of any such books in existence?

Thanks.
Impenitent

Re: In Search Of Book...

Post by Impenitent »

if you are looking for short, precise arguments, try Nietzsche (most of his books are written in shortish -1 sentence to 3 pages- segments)...

you might also check out the writings of Mortimer Adler - more of a topic centered philosopher

-Imp
Gary Childress

Re: In Search Of Book...

Post by Gary Childress »

Thank you for the reply, Impenitent. I think I have found a book that fits what I'm looking for.

https://www.amazon.com/Just-Arguments-I ... dpSrc=srch