Can slavery ever be justified?

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Can slavery ever be justified?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

I don't think so on balance. Too many negatives associated with it.

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
QuantumT

Re: Can slavery ever be justified?

Post by QuantumT »

Well we still have technical slavery. Animals serve our needs. Cows, chickens, pigs, sheep.

But amongst humans, no.

Ps. I like meat alot, and I don't plan to stop eating it!
philosopher

Post by philosopher »

Unfortunately, yes.

Conscription + alternative service for conscientious objectors is slavery. Most countries have conscription, because the people want it.

It's a shame.

I personally don't think conscription can ever be justified, but the vast majority of Earth's population seem to think it can. They are actually arguing in favor of slavery.
QuantumT

Post by QuantumT »

philosopher wrote: โ†‘Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:29 pm Unfortunately, yes.

Conscription + alternative service for conscientious objectors is slavery. Most countries have conscription, because the people want it.

It's a shame.

I personally don't think conscription can ever be justified, but the vast majority of Earth's population seem to think it can. They are actually arguing in favor of slavery.
Good point!

And also paying taxes is slavery, since it's your money, and you can be imprisoned for not paying!
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

QuantumT wrote: โ†‘Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:53 pm And also paying taxes is slavery, since it's your money, and you can be imprisoned for not paying!
i am a part-owner of a business, and as much as i hate paying taxes this is absurd

for starers, the line of business i am in is heavily subsidized - i am a farmer. I think farm subsidies are a good thing (in general, there are many specifics that need work) but just on that basis alone it would be absurd for me to claim that my profits are entirely my own

farming is not the only subsidized industry - there are many others

that aside, my business relies on infrastructure paid for by taxpayers

my daughter goes to school paid for by taxpayers

i take classes at a local community college that give me knowledge and skills to better run my business - and they are heavily subsidized

so it would make no sense for me to insist that the money i make are solely the result of my work and i dont owe anyone anything, that it is entirely "my money"
bahman

Post by bahman »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:49 pm I don't think so on balance. Too many negatives associated with it.

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
How do you define slavery? Is this a good definition: Using people to work for you while they have lower standard of life.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

QuantumT wrote: โ†‘Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:47 pm Well we still have technical slavery. Animals serve our needs. Cows, chickens, pigs, sheep.

But amongst humans, no.

Ps. I like meat alot, and I don't plan to stop eating it!
There are one or two actions you can take. Eat less meat for instance more veg less meat, or meat free meal once a week. Probably better for you anyway.

Also, unless you are very poor you can perhaps choose best quality meat that has been born, fattened, and slaughtered locally by craftsman butcher.
philosopher

Post by philosopher »

QuantumT wrote: โ†‘Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:53 pm

It's a shame.

Good point!

And also paying taxes is slavery, since it's your money, and you can be imprisoned for not paying!
Conscription is demanding you work for the state, if you don't you get punished.
Therefore, conscription is slavery.

Taxation however, is not. Taxation does not demand you work for anyone to pay your taxes. If you don't sell/buy anything (ie. selling your labor, which laborers do) you don't earn money, you don't pay taxes. It's that simple.

In-fact you have a personal deduction of taxes, before you start paying taxes.

Nobody in the tax departments are demanding you WORK in order to pay taxes. You can also get the money (legally) in other ways. Pensions, shares, interests etc.

Taxation is a neccessity in any civilisation. It pays for welfare and infrastructure and maybe - in the future - Basic Income (or something similar) which grants everybody money to live for without the requirements of work or other activities.
Philosophy Explorer

philosopher wrote: โ†‘Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:01 pm
QuantumT wrote: โ†‘Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:53 pm

It's a shame.

Good point!

Conscription is demanding you work for the state, if you don't you get punished.
Therefore, conscription is slavery.

Taxation however, is not. Taxation does not demand you work for anyone to pay your taxes. If you don't sell/buy anything (ie. selling your labor, which laborers do) you don't earn money, you don't pay taxes. It's that simple.

In-fact you have a personal deduction of taxes, before you start paying taxes.

Nobody in the tax departments are demanding you WORK in order to pay taxes. You can also get the money (legally) in other ways. Pensions, shares, interests etc.

Taxation is a neccessity in any civilisation. It pays for welfare and infrastructure and maybe - in the future - Basic Income (or something similar) which grants everybody money to live for without the requirements of work or other activities.
Semi-related to this nowadays in the US is it's becoming fashionable to expect Medicaid recipients to work. I don't have enough details to make comments, however it seems to tie into conservatism.

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Last edited by Philosophy Explorer on Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Philosophy Explorer

I'm adding this question: can marriage be regarded as a form of slavery?

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
QuantumT

Post by QuantumT »

Belinda wrote: โ†‘Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:37 pm There are one or two actions you can take. Eat less meat for instance more veg less meat, or meat free meal once a week. Probably better for you anyway.

Also, unless you are very poor you can perhaps choose best quality meat that has been born, fattened, and slaughtered locally by craftsman butcher.
I'm sorry sweatheart, I'm a meat-oholic. More is better! :twisted:
Kayla wrote: โ†‘Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:39 amTax bla bla bla...
philosopher wrote: โ†‘Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:01 pmTax bla bla bla...
You are right. Tax is not so bad, when you think deeper about it.
Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:53 pm I'm adding this question: can marriage be regarded as a form of slavery?

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Only if it's an arranged marriage.
Greta

Post by Greta »

With improved automation this question may increasingly become moot - unless perhaps there is a Westworld style uprising.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

QuantumT wrote:
I'm sorry sweatheart, I'm a meat-oholic. More is better! :twisted:
But a meatoholic surely wants quality meat, not diseased meat that's been fattened with hormones and antibiotics?
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Greta wrote: โ†‘Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:10 am With improved automation this question may increasingly become moot - unless perhaps there is a Westworld style uprising.
Improved automation is a reason for the basic living wage for everyone whether they work or not.
QuantumT

Post by QuantumT »

Belinda wrote: โ†‘Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:01 am But a meatoholic surely wants quality meat, not diseased meat that's been fattened with hormones and antibiotics?
True! In my country the farmers are under pressure to stop using antibiotics (and hormones have never been used).
We're slowly getting there. So I'm in the clear on those points :wink: