To lose your mind

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

QuantumT

Re: To lose your mind

Post by QuantumT »

Skip wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:39 pm The good news is, countries with advanced law-enforcement tend also to have tall buildings, sleeping pills, plastic bags and cars.
Countries that lack those amenities tend to have plenty of firearms, courtesy of the countries that do have amenities.
Or, I suppose you could go out in the woods and piss off a bear or tiger. Farther north, they still have a few unoccupied ice-floes.
The bear thing is not recommended. I've seen The Revenant.
And gravity (tall buildings) is selfish.
Suffocation (bag) seems to be the best alternative to a bullet. Also less bloody.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"A bullet seems like an easy and quick solution, but what if one lives in a country, where firearms are very difficult to obtain?"

Easy: death by cop.
Skip

Re:

Post by Skip »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:52 am "A bullet seems like an easy and quick solution, but what if one lives in a country, where firearms are very difficult to obtain?"

Easy: death by cop.
Only in violent countries, where guns are probably easy to come by. Where the citizens are presumed unarmed, the cops are not trigger-happy, either.
Except dictatorships. But there, you can't count on quick'n'neat.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Skip,

Even the most peaceful cop, in the most peaceful country, will pull his piece and shoot you if you go at him with an ax, so...

Death by cop.
Skip

Re:

Post by Skip »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:53 am Skip,

Even the most peaceful cop, in the most peaceful country, will pull his piece and shoot you if you go at him with an ax, so...

Death by cop.
Depends who you are. The OP was talking about dementia, which mostly happens to frail old people, not ones who can make a convincing show of attacking a cop with an axe. And it always depends how good the cop is.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/ ... ct-in-van/
Thing about suicide by cop: you only get one attempt. If they take you alive, even painfully wounded, they take you to the closed ward.
I wouldn't risk it.
henry quirk

"I wouldn't risk it"

Post by henry quirk »

Me neither, but ya gotta 'make do' sometimes.
Skip

Post by Skip »

My need supercedes any consideration of tidiness, but forcing a [probably] decent police officer to traumatize himself is unfair.
Not tall buildings - that really is too likely to kill or injure innocent bystanders, as well as inconvenience traffic. Plus, I get vertigo. Plus, you may have two or three seconds to reflect on the way down.
The gun in the mouth is quite unpalatable for the clean-up crew.
Car in garage is one of the better options, if you can't con a prescription for sleeping pills.
Best of all is legal, competent medical assistance.
commonsense

Before it happened

Post by commonsense »

QuantumT wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:04 am Your mind. What if yours was taken from you, by dementia or alzheimers? What would you do, if you could do something before it happened?
I would take measures to avoid losing my mind.
I’d also make donations to dementia research.
Arising_uk

Re:

Post by Arising_uk »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:53 am Skip,

Death by cop.
Our police don't in general carry guns so not so easy and even then we tend not to shoot the disturbed or insane. Easiest is car and hose-pipe.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

QuantumT wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:04 am Your mind. It's the only thing you truly have. It makes you You.

What if yours was taken from you, by dementia or alzheimers? What would you do, if you could do something before it happened?
Party my arse off, and stumble off a cliff.

What. You've got a better idea?
Walker

Post by Walker »

QuantumT wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:04 am Your mind. It's the only thing you truly have. It makes you You.

What if yours was taken from you, by dementia or alzheimers? What would you do, if you could do something before it happened?
De Kooning kept right on painting.

Some folks get as mean as a snake.

Some get sweeter.