Personal Top Ten Movies of All Time - and why so

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

vegetariantaxidermy

Re: Personal Top Ten Movies of All Time - and why so

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

gaffo wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:10 am I'd say:

City of Life and Death - is no8 of all time ("a real" war movie - fully bloody and bleak and historically based. Chinese Black and white "new movie" 2010? - yes you have to read subtitles - oh the horror. unless you know manderin of course.

no9:

Snowtown - the bleakest movie i ever saw - take 2 weeks of your lifespan with each veiwing. "shoot the fking dog!!!!!" - gives a clear picture of pschopathy and stockholm syndrome - up front and center.

the "dog scene" and the "bathtub torchure" ("yes master") - are horrific. and all the moreso since it is based upon real events/people.
Australian films are excellent. In fact every country makes excellent films these days except.... Australia has had some of the most depraved murders imaginable. Must be the feral convict genes. I've never met a nice Aussie (but I'm sure they exist). That case seems to be a particularly horrible subject matter for a film. What they did to that pitiful guy in the bathtub should give anyone nightmares. I haven't seen the film but I'm familiar with the case.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:13 am

City of Life and Death - is no8 of all time ("a real" war movie - fully bloody and bleak and historically based. Chinese Black and white "new movie" 2010? - yes you have to read subtitles - oh the horror. unless you know manderin of course.

no9:

Snowtown - the bleakest movie i ever saw - take 2 weeks of your lifespan with each veiwing. "shoot the fking dog!!!!!" - gives a clear picture of pschopathy and stockholm syndrome - up front and center.

the "dog scene" and the "bathtub torchure" ("yes master") - are horrific. and all the moreso since it is based upon real events/people.
Australian films are excellent. In fact every country makes excellent films these days except.... Australia has had some of the most depraved murders imaginable. Must be the feral convict genes. I've never met a nice Aussie (but I'm sure they exist). That case seemed to be a particularly horrible subject matter for a film.

yep. I copied "crime investigation australia" firs couple of seasons 7? yrs ago - before YT got anal and removed them.

always loved "mystery" and "pathology" - so had a bit of a fixation upon "who was the "wanda beach/Baumont beach/ esp that newer one (dammit i forget the name of the case now - anyway (he killed gals in uptown area of Perth in 80's - they arrested his brother for DUI last year (and his blood as close to that found at a few crime scenes 30 yrs earlier...............so they arrested his brother for the killings - i think trial is going on now.

- as you prob know "we" got the Original Night Stalker last month the similar way (as well as an Arizona guy that killed 3 and behead one and put in his freezer in early 90's - caught via a relative's DNA on Ancestry.com last year).

----------------------------

India make a lot of crap today (Bollywood) - no Satyajit Ray caliber stuff - not for at least 40 yrs.

so they are as shallow as Hollywood today - sadly.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

gaffo wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:29 am

no9:

Australian films are excellent. In fact every country makes excellent films these days except.... Australia has had some of the most depraved murders imaginable. Must be the feral convict genes. I've never met a nice Aussie (but I'm sure they exist). That case seemed to be a particularly horrible subject matter for a film.

yep. I copied "crime investigation australia" firs couple of seasons 7? yrs ago - before YT got anal and removed them.

always loved "mystery" and "pathology" - so had a bit of a fixation upon "who was the "wanda beach/Baumont beach/ esp that newer one (dammit i forget the name of the case now - anyway (he killed gals in uptown area of Perth in 80's - they arrested his brother for DUI last year (and his blood as close to that found at a few crime scenes 30 yrs earlier...............so they arrested his brother for the killings - i think trial is going on now.

- as you prob know "we" got the Original Night Stalker last month the similar way (as well as an Arizona guy that killed 3 and behead one and put in his freezer in early 90's - caught via a relative's DNA on Ancestry.com last year).

India make a lot of crap today (Bollywood) - no Satyajit Ray caliber stuff - not for at least 40 yrs.

I'm not really 'up' on serial killers, that particular Aussie case was big news, although most people have a morbid fascination with them to some degree or other. Ted Bundy is probably the most well known, with his volkswagon beetle and fake casts and crutches.
To a large degree it's because of Australian serial killers and in particular the Beaumont case that parents are so over protective of their children now. That was the dreadful case in the sixties where three siblings went to the beach and were never seen again. The parents lost all their children just like that--horrific torture of the worst kind. Their surname was 'Beaumont'. My mother always claimed that she was tired and overworked, but between breakfast and dinnertime I don't think she saw us all day.
-1-

Post by -1- »

guffo, where do you get all your movies? I searched the local library, they had none of the ones you listed other than 2001 and lives of others.

Are they on Netflix? Or what. I really don't know how to look for them.

Some of the movies I listed, like the Homolkas and the Tattooed Man, are Czech movies made in the late sixties. B/W and brilliant social commentaries.

One thing I shalt not tolerate and that is a Bela Tarr movie.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

1. The Unforgiven – because it’s a character study w/ a good western story, about a pacifist farmer who returns to being a heartless gunfighter
2. The Guardian – it’s a character study, w/ a good plotline, about a heroic rescuer who becomes an instructor and later returns to rescuing only to be seized by his longstanding PTSD
3. Deepwater Horizon – heart pounding story about integrity and heroism in the face of corporate corruption; my own PTSD kept me crying for a while after seeing this one; good wins out in the end
4. Gran Torino – good triumphs over evil when one brave hero gets addresses an injustice and confronts a gang that raped the neighbor’s daughter
5. Million Dollar Baby – the plot is focused on boxing, determination, bravery and the relationship between athlete and coach, ending with a strong statement about assisted suicide
6. Glory Road – racial inequality is the backdrop for a story where the underdog wins in the end
7. To Kill a Mockingbird – shunned by white socity in the South, a black and mentally challenged man is saved from a wrongful guilty verdict in a murder trial; good v. evil
8. American Sniper – been there, done that
9. Cinderella Man – the underdog wins again
10. Shawshank Redemption – because I’m a sucker for good triumphing over evil
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:25 am
gaffo wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:29 am

I'm not really 'up' on serial killers, that particular Aussie case was big news, although most people have a morbid fascination with them to some degree or other. Ted Bundy is probably the most well known, with his volkswagon beetle and fake casts and crutches.
To a large degree it's because of Australian serial killers and in particular the Beaumont case that parents are so over protective of their children now. That was the dreadful case in the sixties where three siblings went to the beach and were never seen again. The parents lost all their children just like that--horrific torture of the worst kind. Their surname was 'Beaumont'. My mother always claimed that she was tired and overworked, but between breakfast and dinnertime I don't think she saw us all day.
Claremont - rem now.

I forgot to menton:

"In Cold Blood" 1968? - Black/white. above - it should be in my top ten of all time. had Robert Blake and Scott Wilson - both showed thier tallent as actors. the latter i've only seen in small parts since, but in this movie it think was his first role - did a top job.

one of the best movies of all time. it has John Forsieth too - never though he was all that myself - but did fine in this movie.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

-1- wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:04 am guffo, where do you get all your movies? I searched the local library, they had none of the ones you listed other than 2001 and lives of others.

Are they on Netflix? Or what. I really don't know how to look for them.

I bought most of them after fist viewing them on Youtube 10 yrs ago..before YT got anal and removed such material for copyreich issues.

like my YT channel 2 yrs ago. which lasted 1/2 yr............all "obsure TV shows of the 60's/70's - not shown on any cable TV channel................Stuff I saw in part at least on YT years ago and them bought the DVDs of - then encoded full episodes of - full shows and seasons - so if the viewers like my offerings, they would buy the retail DVDs of (like i did).

my "YT Channel" (Z-channel (named in honor of the one that existed and i viewed as a kid in the early 80s in california - refer to google for more info).

was "old TV movies not offered on Video-tape/DVD or anywhere else - i.e. around 100 TV movies - "Death Be not Proud"/"Blood Sport"/"Message to my daughter"/"a cry for help"/"the gun"..........and 90 others for "legal reasons" have never been offered on DVD/Bluray..................I copied them off from Chuck Dacon's YT channel which was removed 4 yrs ago - the uploaded his better 1/2 "abc movie of the week" tv movies via my channel a year later..................in his honor - until it was removed last year for copyreich volations (for showing movies utterly forgotten and not offered on DVD nor even VHS since at least 40 yrs ago if not longer - so figure).

--------------

my other offerings were equally obscure and forgotten TV shows (3/4's British) and 1/4 American.

I'm american, as i think you know by now - only reason i know of the brit shows is via YT years ago and me buying the DVD (all PAL - so that is another problem - i have an Oppo player and a chinese TV that allows PAL so not prob for me personally) - via amazon UK.

then "transcoded" in HD by me - and uploaded to my YT channel (now gone of course).

in order of my channel upload 2 yrs ago.

1.ABC movie of the week - 100+ tv movies
2. The Human Jungle: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057757/
3. Gideon's Way: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0158411/
4. Callan: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061238/
5. The Defenders: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054531/
6. The Senator (directed by John Badham - refer to above "the gun" TV movie - also a friend and went to school with Spielburg (just some trivia for you): https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065278/
7. Danger UXB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078593/

just sad that the "algorythem" that caught my violation of DMCA - 3rd strike you are out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - took out OTHER channels that had any of the shows i offered above (a couple had them BEFORE ME - id did my own encodes of Danger UXB via my personal ntsc DVD set, other channel was via an Irish chap via his pal dvd/encodes................at least two other channels were removed via "Chain reaction" of shows tagged as in violation of copyriech on my channel.

to them, I'm sorry, i did not know YT worked that way. (taking other channels down just because i flew above the a radar, and they had not for years and years until i ratted on them).

-1- wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:04 am 00000000000000

Some of the movies I listed, like the Homolkas and the Tattooed Man, are Czech movies made in the late sixties. B/W and brilliant social commentaries.

I life in Norman - so our library has many foreign movies being in a college town - but to be honest i viewed/watched the same years ago via Netflix (and copied them via chinese PC software DVDFAB since 2004? or so *version two").

since that time Neflix has shitted on their DVDs and now thier offerings via DVD suck and are instead fixtated upon being another "media company" offering more dumb shows and being just another cable TV channel (I cut the cord 19 yrs ago for a reason - IFC/A&E - stupped showing foreign films/concerts without commercials...................and AMC stopped showing BW flicks a decade earlier!.

I now buy my media legally - then use my chinese FABDVD to removed both encription and region code of my personal DVDs/and BDs - to them - if i choose - to share to whom i think might "discover" a work they would not otherwise know of.

-1- wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:04 am One thing I shalt not tolerate and that is a Bela Tarr movie.

????

tell me more! ;-).

thanks for reply!
-1-

Post by -1- »

Dear Guffo,

thanks for your spirited reply!

Unfortunately, I can't read your English, and the length of it was overwhelming for me.

I have a reading disability -- can't read long texts. Books are right out. I appreciate you have a sort of dyslexia... each to his own disability. I won't judge you on yours as long as you don't judge me on mine. :D

And abbreviations I absolutely don't get. YT I gather is youtube. That's where the buck stopped.

Because of MY disability, I ask you that next time you want to communicate something to me, then please be:
- short (100 words maximum, the shorter the better)
- don't use abbreviations. Any abbreviations. Unless you use the expression and IMMEDIATELY AFTERward (I.A.) in brackets you name the abbreviation you will use for THAT EXRESSION (T.E.)

... and I promise to gnaw myself through your style of typing words.
Last edited by -1- on Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Add to this, that I missed most of North American childhood, teen-age, and TV culture. Because I did not speak English up to age 28 or so, and only started to watch movies again since my late teens after I turned 45. A huge chunk of current politics, culture and trends just passed me by.

This has corollaries... I can't get excited at all about superhero movies, I can't remember the seventies, the eighties; I don't know nursery rhymes or movie actor's names; If I want to name a sexy female actor, I still name Brigitte Bardot, Claudia Cardinale and Gina Lollobrigida. I can't remember any current actors' names, other than Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt, and another guy whom I can't tell apart from Brad Pitt. Maybe it's not Angelina Jolie whose name I remember, but another one, who got married to the boyishly good-looking action movie tsar, Jewish, they acted together in Mr. and Mrs. Smith (a damn good movie.)

Arrrrrrnold Schwartzenegggggerrrrr. His name I remember. "The Bwidge! It is Oyt!"

Anyway. I am grossly undercultured in pop culture. Just so that you know.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

commonsense wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:53 pm 1. The Unforgiven – because it’s a character study w/ a good western story, about a pacifist farmer who returns to being a heartless gunfighter
thats why that movie left me cold.

"pacifist" returns - backslides? - to he old ways.........................to me that means a character flaw of the protagonist. and also a sort of nihalism - which i personally dislike.

If Eastwood had a point others than what i saw and stated above, i'd welcome understanding.

BTW thought "Ghandi" was a top 10 movie of all time - loved the scene where the Hindu confesses to killing a muslim man and asks Ghandi (a Hindu also) for forgivness, and the latter says he cannot, but maybe God can - IF you raise the son of man you killed AS A MUSLIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - them MAYBE God will forgive you.

so kewl - all about works/deeds/sacrifice - over works - you could tell the man in the scene was a pozer and no no way willing to not be the hypocrite/work for salvation/take the hard way.

commonsense wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:53 pm
2. The Guardian – it’s a character study, w/ a good plotline, about a heroic rescuer who becomes an instructor and later returns to rescuing only to be seized by his longstanding PTSD
3. Deepwater Horizon – heart pounding story about integrity and heroism in the face of corporate corruption; my own PTSD kept me crying for a while after seeing this one; good wins out in the end
4. Gran Torino – good triumphs over evil when one brave hero gets addresses an injustice and confronts a gang that raped the neighbor’s daughter
5. Million Dollar Baby – the plot is focused on boxing, determination, bravery and the relationship between athlete and coach, ending with a strong statement about assisted suicide
6. Glory Road – racial inequality is the backdrop for a story where the underdog wins in the end
7. To Kill a Mockingbird – shunned by white socity in the South, a black and mentally challenged man is saved from a wrongful guilty verdict in a murder trial; good v. evil
8. American Sniper – been there, done that
9. Cinderella Man – the underdog wins again
10. Shawshank Redemption – because I’m a sucker for good triumphing over evil
per "American Sniper" - not watched it - trailers left me cold - "media" said if is Fascist work. would welcome more about this work (I have a mind - dont let media to think for me).

thanks for reply Sir.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

-1- wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:07 pm Dear Guffo,

thanks for your spirited reply!
quite welcome Sir!

-1- wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:07 pm Unfortunately, I can't read your English, and the length of it was overwhelming for me.

I understand, and you are not alone- sadly i'm a poor reader and sht speller due to dyslexia (can we kill the man who had such a bleak sense of humor to spell the ailment concerning spelling handicap - THAT WAY???????????!!!!!!!!!! - please please - and let me pull the first trigger.

-1- wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:07 pm I have a reading disability -- can't read long texts. Books are right out. I appreciate you have a sort of dyslexia... each to his own disability. I won't judge you on yours as long as you don't judge me on mine. :D

So you have noted my prior posts! - i thank you for this.

per judging. i only reserve judging other - after myself upon the same charge - then convict myself first if i failed - or just you/others if they and not me fall short.

i.e. not big on judgment (no, not a believer "judge not" (the most missquoted verse in the bible - it removes the latter half!!!!!!!!) - strive to "not judge" as much as possible (where i lack the "big picture") - and insead fixate upon my own character - and strive to Humility as much as possible (for it is a constant war - Pride feels good, Humility, well maybe not so much (i.e. internal war within myself) - of course the former is a vise and latter a virtue - this i believe during my many war within myself these many decades of life.

lol ;-/.

-1- wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:07 pm And abbreviations I absolutely don't get. YT I gather is youtube. That's where the buck stopped.
ok, yes.

-1- wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:07 pm Because of MY disability, I ask you that next time you want to communicate something to me, then please be:
- short (100 words maximum, the shorter the better)
- don't use abbreviations. Any abbreviations. Unless you use the expression and IMMEDIATELY AFTERward (I.A.) in brackets you name the abbreviation you will use for THAT EXRESSION (T.E.)

... and I promise to gnaw myself through your style of typing words.
reasonable request from you Sir. I will try to comply.

-----------I'd love to clarify any of my prior posts to you have confusion about - per my the 6 beers i've had - will to do my best for you.

;-).

thanks for reply
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

-1- wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:15 pm Add to this, that I missed most of North American childhood, teen-age, and TV culture. Because I did not speak English up to age 28 or so, and only started to watch movies again since my late teens after I turned 45. A huge chunk of current politics, culture and trends just passed me by.

not sure if this public forum is a good place to get personal (I'm ok with it myself - just sayin here) - but am honored you are doing so.

if my ask what is your native language (and it none my business - not need to anwser), just curious.

you are Canadian - from prior posts from you i gathered.

we may be of similar ago then - 52 myself (mortality is knocking on my door for sure - 2 good friends died decades ago - one from a "coke machine falling on him as a college kid for not giving him his coke (27 yrs ago), the other as close as a brother via alcohol/drugs 20 yrs ago.
-1- wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:15 pm This has corollaries... I can't get excited at all about superhero movies, I can't remember the seventies, the eighties; I don't know nursery rhymes or movie actor's names; If I want to name a sexy female actor, I still name Brigitte Bardot, Claudia Cardinale and Gina Lollobrigida. I can't remember any current actors' names, other than Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt, and another guy whom I can't tell apart from Brad Pitt. Maybe it's not Angelina Jolie whose name I remember, but another one, who got married to the boyishly good-looking action movie tsar, Jewish, they acted together in Mr. and Mrs. Smith (a damn good movie.)

Arrrrrrnold Schwartzenegggggerrrrr. His name I remember. "The Bwidge! It is Oyt!"

Anyway. I am grossly undercultured in pop culture. Just so that you know.
not into "superhero movies" - shallow as fk. zilch charater developement (and why i love "the lives of others" - all about "Character growth" of the protagonsit - a good communist "true beleiver" guy........who starts to see other "true beleivers" as hyocrites, then grows as a man, and by the end of the film is a much a man of character as the man he was charged to bring down (Sebastian Koch - actor's name in that movie - forget his name in movie).

for me it all about the "human condition" - including failings. its not about "Wining" - even if you lose (due to asshates/society/etc) - if you learn to be a better man you have "won" - at least WRT to your personal character.

- i.e. Final Days of Sofia Scholl was a great movie - she remained true to her personal conviction - and lost her head (literally) - as did her brother and a friend - but that movie remains a great film about the human condition.

Scholl and her friend and brother were real people (and so even the more tragic) - germans that refused to bend to the will of the the fascist mop groopthink, and paid for it with their lives.

-----------if you like good dialog, find that move, Final Days of Sophia Scholl (and Steve McQeeen's (not the actor - the director) Hunger) - it is powerful stuff..................10 minutes of dialog.................where "nothing happens" (for those that do not see, and fixate on action rather than ideas/humanity).
QuantumT

Post by QuantumT »

-1- wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:15 pm Add to this, that I missed most of North American childhood, teen-age, and TV culture. Because I did not speak English up to age 28 or so, and only started to watch movies again since my late teens after I turned 45. A huge chunk of current politics, culture and trends just passed me by.
Why?
If it's not too personal a question to ask.
You can reply in a PM if you prefer that :wink:
-1-

Post by -1- »

QuantumT wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:14 pm
Why?
If it's not too personal a question to ask.
You can reply in a PM if you prefer that :wink:
No, I was not in prison.

I was in my own prison -- to be melodramatic about it -- which was the whole wide world, and it was still a prison. In solitary confinement. So to speak.

Might as well blurt it out in the public, since my identity is protected.

Schizophrenic breakdown at 20.

I am schizotypal. Or whatever. I can't remember the name. I am normal, until I get under stress, moderate to large stress, at which point I become delusional.

I was socially isolated, and had no peer group. Plus I immigrated from Hungary, at age 18, and never mixed with the Hungarian community. So I was pretty much a loner, living inside my head. Perfect resume for a philosopher.

I am also on the autism spectrum, and have a severe case of borderline personality disorder.

So much fun!!
QuantumT

Post by QuantumT »

-1- wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:26 pm So much fun!!
I have some issues myself, and prefer solitude. So I can imagine how your life has been.