Why is the universe asymmetric in matter and antimatter...

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Why is the universe asymmetric in matter and antimatter...

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

when the BBT should have created them in equal amounts?

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
-1-

Re: Why is the universe asymmetric in matter and antimatter...

Post by -1- »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:05 pm when the BBT should have created them in equal amounts?

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
BB had no aesthetic taste.

And why not the number 8?
QuantumT

Post by QuantumT »

Antimatter is matter converted under special circumstances. It's not a common* part of the universe, nor has it ever been.

I'd rather ask the same question about dark matter, wich is much more relevant, IMO!

* = Common, as in stuff you find here and there.
Philosophy Explorer

QuantumT wrote: โ†‘Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:14 pm Antimatter is matter converted under special circumstances. It's not a common* part of the universe, nor has it ever been.

I'd rather ask the same question about dark matter, wich is much more relevant, IMO!

* = Common, as in stuff you find here and there.
An article said that aside from its opposite charge, it's the same as ordinary matter. So far the scientists are unable to account for antimatter's instability (compared with matter).

With respect to dark matter, we don't even know what its composition is and we know more about antimatter in this respect. To point out something else, I've read that the BBT is the strongest theory we have about the universe which I have serious reservations about thanks to BBT unable to give a reasonable explanation about antimatter (plus dark matter).

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
wtf

Post by wtf »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:14 pm An article said that aside from its opposite charge, it's the same as ordinary matter.
Big big ups Phil for demonstrating the correct use of its and it's. Gladdened my grammar pedant heart.
Philosophy Explorer

wtf wrote: โ†‘Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:45 pm
Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:14 pm An article said that aside from its opposite charge, it's the same as ordinary matter.
Big big ups Phil for demonstrating the correct use of its and it's. Gladdened my grammar pedant heart.
I try wtf, thank you. It's easy to read back to yourself what you've written as that's a good method.

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
QuantumT

Post by QuantumT »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:14 pm An article said that aside from its opposite charge, it's the same as ordinary matter. So far the scientists are unable to account for antimatter's instability (compared with matter).

With respect to dark matter, we don't even know what its composition is and we know more about antimatter in this respect. To point out something else, I've read that the BBT is the strongest theory we have about the universe which I have serious reservations about thanks to BBT unable to give a reasonable explanation about antimatter (plus dark matter).

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
The event of TBB itself is quite safe to assume. The seconds after are harder.
We're sitting on a tiny little rock in the middle of a huge nowhere, trying to calculate a universe we can't even fully see yet.
Errors might occur. But we are getting there. Working on it.
Theories might change. Models might be dismissed. But we will get there, if we survive long enough. I see no reason that we should not.

I see our time as an extension of the middle ages. We still carry the burden of religion and racism. When/if we shed that, we can truly reach our potential as a species.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:05 pm when the BBT should have created them in equal amounts?

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
my understanding is that the BB made more matter than antimatter.

if not so then there would be no matter for us to be/converse.

why so?

ask your God, not me, i offer no answer to your inquery.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

-1- wrote: โ†‘Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:09 pm

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
BB had no aesthetic taste.

And why not the number 8?
"42" or "rule of 18" if you like Sheckley..............whom Douglas barrowed all things - including his 42 i suspect.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

QuantumT wrote: โ†‘Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:14 pm Antimatter is matter converted under special circumstances. It's not a common* part of the universe, nor has it ever been.
not so. you misunderstand.

1. matter and antimatter are thought to have been created in BB via 50.0000000000000000001 and 49.9999999999999999999 percent respectively.

2. matter is never "converted to anti-matter". instead - E=MC2.

i.e you pump enough enough fking energy into a "space" - and you will create matter/anti matter - FROM the initial energy!.............you do not "Create antimatter from matter.

you ALWAYS and ONLY ALWAYS create BOTH matter and anti matter from ENERGY (and fk load of it too BTW - to make a small atom or two).

also - there is only energy, no anti-energy.

and so energy make matter and antimatter.

matter does not make antimater nor vise versa....................unless you first convert it to energy and then back into matter!!!!!!!!
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:14 pm
An article said that aside from its opposite charge, it's the same as ordinary matter.
yep.

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:14 pm So far the scientists are unable to account for antimatter's instability (compared with matter).
WTF? we are not talking about radioactivity!!!!!!

Anti matter is as stable as matter!!!!!!!!!!!!

the only reason it is not "Stable" is because we cannot "hold the 100 or so atoms we make in accelorators indefinately via magentic field. eventually we have to "release them" and those 100 atoms drift to the walls of the accellorator and 100 "normal" atoms convert to energy - along with the anti matter atoms.

anti matter is as stable and unstable as their matter equivalents.

anti hydrogen-bismuth (the latter bismuth has now been shown to be "radioactive" - but 100000000 time slower than age of universe - so if pedantic we can use Lead/anti lead in its place if you wish) - is Stable forever ("Forever" - there is the still unaswered question as to if Proton's decay - at an even lower rate (if they do) than bismuth - then all matter/antimatter is "unstable".

antimatter per heaver elements above Bismuth, are radioactive, just like "normal" matter is.
Atla

Post by Atla »

An obvious but untestable anthropic principle answer would be that most of the antimatter is beyond the observable part of the universe. If it wasn't, we couldn't be here; humans need a region of the universe dominated by matter in order to exist.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Atla wrote: โ†‘Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:11 am An obvious but untestable anthropic principle answer would be that most of the antimatter is beyond the observable part of the universe. If it wasn't, we couldn't be here; humans need a region of the universe dominated by matter in order to exist.
yep. don't know if you are a sci-fi reader, but Larry Niven wrote a nice short story about an anti-matter planetiod with aliens observed on its surface that was noted speeding through space near earth.

protagonist investigates (or personal gain of some sort - been yrs when i read the work so forget the particulars of motives here), he was in a spaceship made by the "Puppeteers" - so tough as shit and high tech (they were high tech and were even moving their planet with artifical suns to warm it, from the galaticore to the outer-rim to escape destruction (Niven had the idea that the galactic core was "exploding" and killing all life from the center outward)- and he could not understand why his ship's hull was weaking (being Puppeteer made and all)...............he figures it out in the nick of time. ;-).

there would be no landing on that planetoid - for even the tough high tech Puppeteer spaceship hull was made of matter!

lol.

unless you were suicidal and liked big explosions..............
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
It would only be viewed as symmetric if viewed in its totality under one dimension, otherwise we view it as continually propagating movement which in itself is asymmetrical.