What is science about?

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

bahman

What is science about?

Post by bahman »

I think science is about discovering how things function.

What do you think?
Philosophy Explorer

Re: What is science about?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

This comes from my online encyclopedia:

"the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment."

The basic idea is whatever you determine can be used to predict. If it can't be peer verified, it's useless and not science (Popper).

🇺🇸PhilX🇺🇸
bahman

Post by bahman »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 5:29 pm This comes from my online encyclopedia:

"the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment."

The basic idea is whatever you determine can be used to predict. If it can't be peer verified, it's useless and not science (Popper).

🇺🇸PhilX🇺🇸
Yes, I agree with that definition. By that my definition is more compact. We of course can only know how things function through observation.
wtf

Post by wtf »

bahman wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 4:58 pm I think science is about discovering how things function.

It's about 50 minutes between English and gym class.
bahman

Post by bahman »

wtf wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 11:05 pm
bahman wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 4:58 pm I think science is about discovering how things function.
It's about 50 minutes between English and gym class.
That is already in my definition.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Curiosity.

We are all scientists as children but most of us grow out of it and do the practical things needed to build a relatively sustainable life. Some, however, do not grow out of it and the price they pay for their eternal childhood is being paid a 100th the salary of merchants with equivalent levels of knowledge and skills.

Many would say they happily make that sacrifice for the love of their vocation - delight at the remarkable (and innocent) systems of nature, the mystery and exploration of it all, the excitement of discovery and insight, the bouncing of ideas, the sheer mental exercise and the hope that the work will meaningfully contribute to others. Also, obviously there's ego and ambition, but they are universals.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Do we still have to ask!
wtf

Post by wtf »

bahman wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 9:46 pm
wtf wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 11:05 pm It's about 50 minutes between English and gym class.
Are you saying we thought of the same lame joke?
bahman

Post by bahman »

wtf wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 3:51 am
bahman wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 9:46 pm
wtf wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 11:05 pm It's about 50 minutes between English and gym class.
Are you saying we thought of the same lame joke?
I am afraid that I didn't get your joke.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Greta wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 11:33 pm Curiosity.

We are all scientists as children but most of us grow out of it and do the practical things needed to build a relatively sustainable life. Some, however, do not grow out of it and the price they pay for their eternal childhood is being paid a 100th the salary of merchants with equivalent levels of knowledge and skills.

Many would say they happily make that sacrifice for the love of their vocation - delight at the remarkable (and innocent) systems of nature, the mystery and exploration of it all, the excitement of discovery and insight, the bouncing of ideas, the sheer mental exercise and the hope that the work will meaningfully contribute to others. Also, obviously there's ego and ambition, but they are universals.
I agree.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Dubious wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 11:59 pm Do we still have to ask!
What do you mean?
wtf

Post by wtf »

bahman wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 12:08 pm I am afraid that I didn't get your joke.
Guy goes to prison. His first night there, he hears somebody call out, "47," and all the other prisoners start laughing out loud. Then another guy calls out, "118!" and everyone cracks up. New guy asks his cellmate what's going on. Cellmate says, "We're not allowed to talk at night, so instead we have a bunch of really funny jokes and we give each one a number. So when we hear the number, we know what the joke is and that's why everybody laughs."

Wanting to get in on the fun, the new guy calls out, "12!' and there's dead silence. New guy asks his cellmate why. Cellmate says, "Some people just can't tell a joke."