Ethical dilemma

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Your choice

A: Do nothing
100%
B: Warn all
No votes

Total votes: 3

QuantumT

Ethical dilemma

Post by QuantumT »

You are a time traveler. A car bomb is about to go off in a town square, and you are the only one able to warn people (from a distance).
The bomb will kill 10 people. Among them are: a serial killer, a drug cartel boss, the future mother of a brutal dictator, an abusive father/husband and a future terrorist, who will one day kill dozens.

Will you (A) sacrifice the five innocent people by doing nothing, or (B) warn them all, knowing that the five "bad ones" will get away alive?

Note: You are not able to time travel again, or catch them later! This is it! Either they die now, or get away!
Last edited by QuantumT on Sat May 19, 2018 10:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Philosophy Explorer

Re: Ethical dilemma

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

QuantumT wrote: โ†‘Sat May 19, 2018 5:44 pm You are a time traveler. A car bomb is about to go off in a town square, and you are the only one able to warn people (from a distance).
The bomb will kill 10 people. Among them are: a serial killer, a drug cartel boss, the future mother of a brutal dictator, an abusive father/husband and a future terrorist, who will one day kill dozens.

Will you (A) sacrifice the five innocent people by doing nothing, or (B) warn them all, knowing that the five "bad ones" will get away alive?

Note: You are not able to time travel again! This is it!
I would warn them and take my car and run down the five bad ones. Case closed.

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
QuantumT

Post by QuantumT »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Sat May 19, 2018 5:59 pm I would warn them and take my car and run down the five bad ones. Case closed.

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Once the warning is given, they will spread and get far away rapidly. Besides, you are a visitor, and have no car.
Even if you succeeded, you'd get life in prison for multiple murders.
Philosophy Explorer

QuantumT wrote: โ†‘Sat May 19, 2018 6:02 pm
Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Sat May 19, 2018 5:59 pm I would warn them and take my car and run down the five bad ones. Case closed.

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Once the warning is given, they will spread and get far away rapidly. Besides, you are a visitor, and have no car.
Even if you succeeded, you'd get life in prison for multiple murders.
Now you're changing the conditions so are you amending the problem? (btw I posed a similar problem on another website)

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
QuantumT

Post by QuantumT »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Sat May 19, 2018 6:20 pm Now you're changing the conditions so are you amending the problem? (btw I posed a similar problem on another website)

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
It's logical additions. Things I didn't think to write down from the beginning. It's not easy setting up such a scenario perfectly.
Philosophy Explorer

QuantumT wrote: โ†‘Sat May 19, 2018 6:23 pm
Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Sat May 19, 2018 6:20 pm Now you're changing the conditions so are you amending the problem? (btw I posed a similar problem on another website)

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
It's logical additions. Things I didn't think to write down from the beginning. It's not easy setting up such a scenario perfectly.
True

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
QuantumT

Post by QuantumT »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Sat May 19, 2018 6:24 pm True

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
I added a poll. Just found out I could do that :)
Skip

Post by Skip »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Sat May 19, 2018 5:59 pm
I would warn them and take my car and run down the five bad ones. Case closed.

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Except that one of them was your great-grandmother (yes, your grandfather was a brother of the brutal dictator.) so you were never born, so you never had the chance to warn anybody about anything.
The past is done. Leave it alone.
Philosophy Explorer

First Quantum T:

I would make sure no evidence is left behind for the police ("The perfect crime").

Now Skippy:

What scientific evidence do we have that we can go back in time? Evidence by mainstream scientists? No affecting the past. I'll be born. (You disappointed me here. I'd expect more from you).

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Skip

Post by Skip »

Of course we can't go back in time. The past doesn't exist. There is no time.
I thought it was a thought-experiment. As such, you failed it, just as I've failed you.
C'est la vie!
Philosophy Explorer

Skip wrote: โ†‘Sun May 20, 2018 4:42 am Of course we can't go back in time. The past doesn't exist. There is no time.
I thought it was a thought-experiment. As such, you failed it, just as I've failed you.
C'est la vie!
You should have made that clearer Einstein. C'est la vie.

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Skip

Post by Skip »

Why should it have been my responsibility to clarify the obvious?
Philosophy Explorer

Skip wrote: โ†‘Sun May 20, 2018 4:55 am Why should it have been my responsibility to clarify the obvious?
Which means it wasn't so clear. You're tripping yourself up here. Better give it a rest Skip.

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Skip

Post by Skip »

The obvious wasn't clear to you and that's my fault?
bahman

Post by bahman »

We are equal because we are conscious beings. So ethical code should be in favor of more lives.