English is partly Danish (old norse)

What did you say? And what did you mean by it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

gaffo

Re: English is partly Danish (old norse)

Post by gaffo »

-1 off topic.

oh well.

you a Canadian? the PM's daddy instructed a couple of "cops" in the 70's during the time when the French Canadanians were for separation (they kidnapped and killed "Cross" (Englishmen related to economic affairs (why the Canucks killed an Englishman and not a Canuck? (my memory is hazy and there was other guy involde so mybe Cross was Canadian was killed or vise verse - the other guy name i forget was killed.....................all on Wiki i'm sure.- was that his name? outside of montreal.

a few months later he (daddy Trudeu) hired a couple of canadian mounty (big wigs - akin to american FBI big wiggs)...................to fly to france.

yeps the found the mastermind Quebecer in Paris - one of them knock on the door and put two? bullets in the mastermind of the Cross kidnapping head.

State Santioned exicution.

no trial.

"october crissis"

there is a whole book about this - but not read nor rem the title.

just a 2-cents on the matter.
-1-

Post by -1- »

gaffo wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 3:54 am -1 off topic.

oh well.

you a Canadian? the PM's daddy instructed a couple of "cops" in the 70's during the time when the French Canadanians were for separation (they kidnapped and killed "Cross" (Englishmen related to economic affairs (why the Canucks killed an Englishman and not a Canuck? (my memory is hazy and there was other guy involde so mybe Cross was Canadian was killed or vise verse - the other guy name i forget was killed.....................all on Wiki i'm sure.- was that his name? outside of montreal.

a few months later he (daddy Trudeu) hired a couple of canadian mounty (big wigs - akin to american FBI big wiggs)...................to fly to france.

yeps the found the mastermind Quebecer in Paris - one of them knock on the door and put two? bullets in the mastermind of the Cross kidnapping head.

no trial.

"october crissis"

For a state-sanctioned execution, the state has to sanction it. But the state did not sanction it. It was the french king Louis the XIV who claimed "the state is I", but Pierre Elliott Trudeau never made such claim. So it was NOT a state ordered execution.

The French separatists kidnapped the Brit diplomat. I don't know why they did. But some answers come to mind:

1. It was the British Empire that beat the French out of North American possessions.This may have been a retaliation of historical significance.

2. Cross spake English. The separatists' idea was that the nation's nations were divided along the exact and precise boundary between the Anglophones and the Saxophones. I mean Francophones. One less English-speaking person in the world, is a one-person improvement of ratio of Francophones vs Anglophones.

3. Cross was an easy target, and an unsuspecting one at that. He never saw it coming, and that is the best kind of target kindappers prefer.

4. Trudeau spake french first and foremost. He was a Frog. Sorta. It would have been counter-intuitive to kidnap him.
QuantumT

Post by QuantumT »

You surely derailed this thread!

Did anyone watch the latest episode of The Simpsons? Did you notice the Fart Kontrol joke?
Well Fart is not very far from "Fare". Like in farewell. So you see, a single letter can make a huge difference.
How Fart became a word for passing gas beats me, but "fart" just means (traveling) speed ...
-1-

Post by -1- »

QuantumT wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 11:23 pm You surely derailed this thread!

Did anyone watch the latest episode of The Simpsons? Did you notice the Fart Kontrol joke?
Well Fart is not very far from "Fare". Like in farewell. So you see, a single letter can make a huge difference.
How Fart became a word for passing gas beats me, but "fart" just means (traveling) speed ...
The English verb "fart" has an etimological origin in German, "Zu furtzen", with an Umlaut ober dem U nach dem F.

The German verb "zu fahren" means "to travel". Its third person singular form present indicative, is "fahrt". It has nothing to do with the English word "fart", it has to do with the English verb and noun "fare".
QuantumT

Post by QuantumT »

-1- wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 2:48 am The English verb "fart" has an etimological origin in German, "Zu furtzen", with an Umlaut ober dem U nach dem F.

The German verb "zu fahren" means "to travel". Its third person singular form present indicative, is "fahrt". It has nothing to do with the English word "fart", it has to do with the English verb and noun "fare".
Oh farts! :mrgreen:

It is unclear whether the word derives from saxon, high german or old norse. But nevermind that.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

talk about talking out of your ass...

-Imp
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

-1- wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 7:50 am
gaffo wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 3:54 am -1 off topic.

oh well.

no trial.

"october crissis"

For a state-sanctioned execution, the state has to sanction it. But the state did not sanction it. It was the french king Louis the XIV who claimed "the state is I", but Pierre Elliott Trudeau never made such claim. So it was NOT a state ordered execution.

The French separatists kidnapped the Brit diplomat. I don't know why they did. But some answers come to mind:

1. It was the British Empire that beat the French out of North American possessions.This may have been a retaliation of historical significance.

2. Cross spake English. The separatists' idea was that the nation's nations were divided along the exact and precise boundary between the Anglophones and the Saxophones. I mean Francophones. One less English-speaking person in the world, is a one-person improvement of ratio of Francophones vs Anglophones.

3. Cross was an easy target, and an unsuspecting one at that. He never saw it coming, and that is the best kind of target kindappers prefer.

4. Trudeau spake french first and foremost. He was a Frog. Sorta. It would have been counter-intuitive to kidnap him.
thanks for reply and apt "psychological analysis" per "why cross"

I'm calling foul on your assertion that assassination was NOT santioned (we know the name/s of the mounties that did the killing - did they go to trial/get sentence?).

would a proffesional mounty take it in their own hands to kill another without a prior order?

i don't think so.

you are "all wet" on the proclamation that assassination was not upon order of the Canadian PM. (IMO of course was)

thanks for reply!
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

gaffo wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 3:36 am

the always viewed themselves as "themselves" - i visited England in the mid 90's BTW - just saying - i noted this mentality then and now).

to "Them" there is there is "the continent" and "England".......I'm thinking internally WTF?????????????????? you are 15 mlles from the "continent!"..............but i guess for an Englishman 15 miles is as 15000 miles.................
Yanks will always remain dear to the heart of anyone who appreciates irony.
QuantumT

Post by QuantumT »

Maybe I should change the subject of this thread?

Any suggestions? :mrgreen: