Favourite movie scenes

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

Re: Favourite movie scenes

Post by Walker »

gaffo wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:28 am
Walker wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:25 pm Stay on topic. Your mind wanders.

Sure, the Hollywood people can have a political opinion.
Their opinion is Progressive/Hate.
At every award ceremony, politics is the topic, not movies.*
That's why relatively few watch those shows.

yes most holly wood actors are "liberal" - I'm a liberal too. but not mindless - as i think you imply for the hollyfolk.

i agree most of them are of the mindless ink sadly.

there were a few not so - and were conservative in fact.

Ron Silver, Charlton Heston - but now dead. I liked both of them - both fine actors.

so there were/are a few - prob 1/10th are today conservative folks.

though really, do you care of their politics?

as long as they are good actors?

I don't.

All i ask is to be able to view a decent movie - about the universal condition in this tough world - be the actors in that flick be conservative or liberal it is irrelivant to me.

is to to you?

-if so why?

..................yes all to many actors get on their high horse "after hours" to pontificate on your Liberalism.

so what?

"after hours" and so i ignore them fully outside of thier work within the movies they are in.

i note if they can act or not, or if the movie they are in is good or not.

nothing more.

Walker wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:25 pm
And, they can make movies that suck.
Who cares what they say.
exactly!

just ignore them if they say stuff you dissgree with.
Walker wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:25 pm They should focus a bit more on movies than politics.*

I'm sure they do - they are actors first and formost.

case in point, from what I've heard from Tim Robbins i know he is damn near a Communist.

do I care?

nope, he is entitle to his views if not mine, he is a damn good actor and like what he is in.

he's got good taste too - damn near every movie he has been in is above average.

and he is an excellent actor (that is all that matter to me - other than the quality of the movie he is in (which is the primary factor for me)
Actors often appear before Congressional committees to present their views on topics other than acting.

Some of them aren't even excellent actors.

Here’s some.
https://www.ranker.com/list/celebs-call ... ert-wabash

Actors also often endorse political candidates, using criteria other than acting. (So they say, however actors could very well gauge intelligence by the capacity to lie convincingly, since this is foremost what actors do, which would account for the Hollywood popularity of Clinton and B.O.)
Walker

Post by Walker »

gaffo wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:11 am
Walker wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:47 pm
If you don’t have the right politics, you don’t make films unless you keep your mouth shut, or unless you’re a giant like Eastwood.
i respect Eastwood as a persona and directer.

he has made a couple to good films.

but he is generally overated IMO. some of his films are not that good IMO - better than ave., but not Fab.

just my opinion on the matter.

million dollar baby and changing are is only truly worthy offerings.
I read that Eastwood is known for completing movies on time and under budget.

The artists I’ve personally known are the same way because of their personal pride in what they do.
Collaboration is so much more difficult.

POTUS Trump is also known for that level of professional integrity.

Unforgiven is arguably the greatest western, ever, in the history of the universe.
(Clint also composed the musical theme.)
Claudia’s Theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa8Q4cJGMKg

I think the meme of the scatterbrained eccentric artist perhaps fits the poseurs, and ham-handed Hollywood.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Walker wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 3:02 pm

yes most holly wood actors are "liberal" - I'm a liberal too. but not mindless - as i think you imply for the hollyfolk.

Ron Silver, Charlton Heston - but now dead. I liked both of them - both fine actors.

I don't.

All i ask is to be able to view a decent movie - about the universal condition in this tough world - be the actors in that flick be conservative or liberal it is irrelivant to me.

is to to you?

-if so why?

..................yes all to many actors get on their high horse "after hours" to pontificate on your Liberalism.

so what?

"after hours" and so i ignore them fully outside of thier work within the movies they are in.

nothing more.

Who cares what they say.
exactly!

Walker wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:25 pm They should focus a bit more on movies than politics.*

case in point, from what I've heard from Tim Robbins i know he is damn near a Communist.

do I care?

nope, he is entitle to his views if not mine, he is a damn good actor and like what he is in.

he's got good taste too - damn near every movie he has been in is above average.

and he is an excellent actor (that is all that matter to me - other than the quality of the movie he is in (which is the primary factor for me)
Actors often appear before Congressional committees to present their views on topics other than acting.

Here’s some.

Actors also often endorse political candidates, using criteria other than acting. (So they say, however actors could very well gauge intelligence by the capacity to lie convincingly, since this is foremost what actors do, which would account for the Hollywood popularity of Clinton and B.O.)
I appreciate your reply to me and you seem to have a mind and concepts worthy for me to learn from and for mutual discussion, respect, and growth.

But the above seems to me to be a non-sequitor( - my brain was not made to allow me to read nor spell too well - a live long structural weakness of my mind sadly - you can figure it out (I have a very large vocabularity - just can't spell all the works i know over all these decades and never will be able to - just sayin).

you quote what i say - which to paraphrase - is "do you care about the actor's talent and the a good director (so a good movie) - or do you care about the actor's(and director i suppose too............fuck if you fixate enough you can obsess over the Gaffors' political orientation!) political views".

without addresssing my inquary - you sort of affirmed the latter - which i think is irrelivent.

thanks for reply anyway - you have a mind and so welcome your replies to me.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Walker wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 3:23 pm
gaffo wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:11 am
Walker wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:47 pm
If you don’t have the right politics, you don’t make films unless you keep your mouth shut, or unless you’re a giant like Eastwood.
i respect Eastwood as a persona and directer.

he has made a couple to good films.

but he is generally overated IMO. some of his films are not that good IMO - better than ave., but not Fab.

just my opinion on the matter.

million dollar baby and changing are is only truly worthy offerings.
I read that Eastwood is known for completing movies on time and under budget.
always good for the bottom line - and its a business regardless of the vision of the writer/director.

Rod Lurie made an excellent movie yrs ago "The Contender" (bombed at the Box Office - too smart (yes i'm a snop. thinking that the masses lack taste - but not an arrogant snop - just a sad and only one (you can figure it out - just being honest here)).

he also provided the first few 6-10 shows of "madam president" a couple of years later on NBC? (2004?)............but as you said he lacked a watch/clock and did not deliver on time and was fired - Sorkin (I think) - or was it Brodovich(sp) (or some such? that name is wrong i know - but if i heard the wright one i'd affirm it - its close though).

same happend with Krisfalusi(sp) WRT to "Ren and Stimpy" - and why Bob Camp - who took over via being able to deliver on the "clock" - allow Ren snad Stimpy to continue in schedule - but with far less good subtle humor and in a lesser less talented form for an extra year or two.

Walker wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 3:23 pm The artists I’ve personally known are the same way because of their personal pride in what they do.

Who are the artists you know personally? they any good?
Walker wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 3:23 pm Collaboration is so much more difficult.

IMO - more medeocre

anything "via committee" becomes at BEST average - and usually subpar.

"pride/ego" of the Artist is apt..........................but IMO thats fine.

there are Good artists and shit ones.

both have their personal pride.

the former only lessens his/her offering via any commity (i.e. they have tallent - any commitee will only lower that showing)

the latter offers no tallent personally, but via "committee" will be able to raise it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Madonna anyone????????i.e. so TRUE Talent/Artistry/etc............MUST STAY clear from Committee/communal compromise/etc...................and MANTAIN personal egotistical vision.

Walker wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 3:23 pm POTUS Trump is also known for that level of professional integrity.
we can agree to disagree here.

I think Trump is an amoral asshole and a discrace (BTW I never like Clinton either (phoney "I feel your pain" asshole)- but noted you did not llke Obama either - i liked the latter, not a phoney, but a real person (weak though - did not stand up to Wall Street nor/Parmicuticals/AARP/AIPAC..................

still awaiting the reversal/repeal (by amendment if neaded) most unLiberal/Unamerican ruling since 1850's - Citizens' United.

will Hell Freeze over first?

prob. kiss american democracy goodbye.

Unforgiven is arguably the greatest western, ever, in the history of the universe.
(Clint also composed the musical theme.)
Claudia’s Theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa8Q4cJGMKg

I think the meme of the scatterbrained eccentric artist perhaps fits the poseurs, and ham-handed Hollywood.
[/quote]

I saw that movie - thought is was average - not "best" western. though it was nihalistic (I don't nihalism) - protagonist lived a bloody life in youth, then found love and reformed - then upon being tested by a thug Sherif - "falls" back to his gunslinging ways.

--------------

i think the best Western is the Italian directed (Sergione) western "once upon a time in the american west" - its not nillistic - but Bronson "evening the score" of Henry Fonda killing his dad out of kicks/being mean.

music in WOATIW was good too. - as was Jason Robards (.......liberal?/consevative? (does/did it fucking matter!?!?!?!??!) - always one of the best actors of all time (underated too BTW).
Walker

Post by Walker »

gaffo wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:03 pm I appreciate your reply to me and you seem to have a mind and concepts worthy for me to learn from and for mutual discussion, respect, and growth.

But the above seems to me to be a non-sequitor( - my brain was not made to allow me to read nor spell too well - a live long structural weakness of my mind sadly - you can figure it out (I have a very large vocabularity - just can't spell all the works i know over all these decades and never will be able to - just sayin).

you quote what i say - which to paraphrase - is "do you care about the actor's talent and the a good director (so a good movie) - or do you care about the actor's(and director i suppose too............fuck if you fixate enough you can obsess over the Gaffors' political orientation!) political views".

without addresssing my inquary - you sort of affirmed the latter - which i think is irrelivent.

Despite what you or I think of an actor’s opinions outside of acting, since they’re testifying before Congress, and they’re not testifying about acting, then someone cares, whether or not they should. The question is, why?
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Walker wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 3:02 pm

I don't.

is to to you?

-if so why?

so what?

nothing more.

Who cares what they say.
exactly!

do I care?

Here’s some.

Actors are entitled to an opinion like anyone else. What are politicians 'experts' in (except taking bribes and lying)? What I can't stand is their (actors') often nauseating PC shallowness and lack of genuine passion (there are a few exceptions). Everything is about image and fashion trends. AIDS, or anything to do with black Africans (or is 'African Africans' the PC term these days?), are always 'safe' causes and have been terribly trendy for a while now. Prostate cancer, for instance, doesn't get much publicity because it doesn't have the 'look at me, I'm such a good person' factor in the equation (being suffered only by men in general rather than a 'special protected group'). Asthma kills a lot of people but it's just not 'hip' darling. Fashionable at the moment is being anti-Israel. They don't actually give a damn about Palestinians, but it's much better for the image these days to give the impression that they do. If it happened to be trendy at the moment to be pro-Israel then they would float in that direction. If they really gave a damn about ANY people then they would be speaking out against their own military. I can't think of any who have done that (it would be career suicide in this military-idolising age). Go back fifty odd years and the opposite was the case.

Btw, I'm surprised you praise Eastwood. I mean, his political opinions don't align with yours, so in an American mind that must make him a bad actor/director/everything.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

per you assursion that one's political bent matters per Hollywood.

not so IMO.

case in point Elia Kazan - under the pressure of McCarthism - he rolled on his friends and ruined their futures.

would i have done the same thing? - maybe - i don't condemn him so much for the initial roll (the pressure at that time was emence and so i might have rolled/betrayed friends too at that time).

But years later he retionalized his conduct - unlike me - had i lived back then and been a director that betrayed brethren for being Communists - i would have admitted being a coward and a judas, admitting being a cowards under pressure is the first step to becoming a man/and toward redemption as well.

Kazan did niether - instead is continued the cowards way of rationalization for prior acts.

nonetheless - outside my displeasure of Kazan's actons in the 50's his works show that of one of the most talented men in hollywood EVER - his A Face in the Crown is one of the best top 10 works ever made, his Baby Doll is in the top 50 ever made.

2-cents.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Walker wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:44 pm
gaffo wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:03 pm I appreciate your reply to me and you seem to have a mind and concepts worthy for me to learn from and for mutual discussion, respect, and growth.

Despite what you or I think of an actor’s opinions outside of acting, since they’re testifying before Congress, and they’re not testifying about acting, then someone cares, whether or not they should. The question is, why?
ok,

i think no one should care what they have to say outside of thier expertise (acting).

of some think those actor's views are important - then it is their folly and right (as it is for the actors to air thier views).

I just ignore their political views (I value political experts myself - conservative/liberal (folks like Gergin/Frum/etc...."talking heads (from "Think tanks" - not rant radio ilk) its outside of their expertise.

"separate the wheat from the chaff" - and so know that the actors are no nothings concerning their political views, but seeing the same said in movies you have seen and like their acting therein, grant them their talent and IGNORE the REST!

like i do!

2 cents.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:46 pm Fashionable at the moment is being anti-Israel.
you understimate the POWER of AIPAC here in America!

I live here - you don't - it sure as shit was not "fashionable" to be anti-israel 30 yrs ago - which i became during the first Intifada and have remianed.

I was a full bore KKK anti-semite in the 80's and 90's, now I'm just the same said for Republicans.

Fashion (WRT to Israel) my ASS!!!!!!!

its STILL "death" for anyone that wants to have a political future to be anti-Israel (which is Anti-Aparthied).

but AIPAC still rules over conscience and justice in the political world. not one mainline politician on the right or the left will take on AIPAC.

------------------------------

BTW grassroots pleabs (folks like you and me - are trending against Israel - i was just 30 yrs a head of the curve), in the next 10 yrs here in american expect to see the Dems "cut the cord" and some actual top dem candidates no longer support Israel (for by then it will be "Safe" for them to do so).

as for the Republicans, being now fullbore evangelicals ("their country(Israel)right or wrong" - for Rapture), Hell will freeze over (even cattlecars will not make them see reason/morality and repent) they will be the sole defenders of Apartheid these next 30 yrs.

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:46 pm They don't actually give a damn about Palestinians,
dissagree.

Democrats - so all American Jews (the "last holdouts for Israel - are FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!! shifting against that racist state - slowly).

the shift started in the mid 90's.

75 percent dems pro israel

25 percent Repubs.

-------by

2007 it was 50/50!!!!!!!! (Jenin (and Rachel Cory) shifted some dems to allow the 50/50)

Operation "cast lead" - where the bigoted racist state of Israel killed a few thousand of women and children stateless citizens of Gaza in 2009 - was the turning point.

since that time the "rapture fixated" Republicans here in america are the majority supporters of Israel.

NOT the Democrats - including the jewish ones BTW.

--------------------

you are not an american and so do not understand the power of AIPAC to intimidate.

I am an American and know full well.

there is no "Fashion" involved per being against Israel - even now when we have a neaar NAZI state over there running rabid - killing many in the name of "security"..............for throwing rocks or just standing still too close to a fence.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

BTW, since you are a Kewie and I'm an American allow me to inform you:

over here the top three most powerful lobbies (and have been for the last 40 yrs) are - in order of power:

1. AARP
2.AIPAC
3.NRA

now you know.
vegetariantaxidermy

You shouldn't just assume people know what acronyms mean.

I wasn't stating a political viewpoint one way or another--only pointing out facts. I'm well aware that thirty years ago it wasn't fashionable to be anti-Israel. THAT was my POINT! When people claim that humans are individuals they don't understands humans very well. Individualism is an illusion, and those who are more 'individual' than most tend to be shunned or ridiculed for 'going against the flow'. What drives that 'flow' is one of life's mysteries, with many and varied answers.

ps At least you admit to hating Jews, and don't pretend your stance is because you care about Palestinians. Kudos for that. Not many people will admit to it.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 11:18 pm
ps At least you admit to hating Jews, and don't pretend your stance is because you care about Palestinians. Kudos for that. Not many people will admit to it.
I don't "admit to hating jews" - i don't

i hate Israel.

clue - the two are not the same.

clue 2 - as i mentioned in earlier post - dems, who nearly all jews are are now turning agasint Israel (you going to play the AIPAC game of calling them "self hating Jews" too?

i'm done with you!

this time for sure.

goodbye. ;-/. sadly i thought more highly of you - my mistake more fool me.
vegetariantaxidermy

gaffo wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 1:22 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 11:18 pm
I don't "admit to hating jews" - i don't

i hate Israel.

clue - the two are not the same.

clue 2 - as i mentioned in earlier post - dems, who nearly all jews are are now turning agasint Israel (you going to play the AIPAC game of calling them "self hating Jews" too?

i'm done with you!

this time for sure.

goodbye. ;-/. sadly i thought more highly of you - my mistake more fool me.
You just said that you were a 'KKK anti-semite'!
vegetariantaxidermy

gaffo wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 9:50 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:46 pm Fashionable at the moment is being anti-Israel.
you understimate the POWER of AIPAC here in America!

I live here - you don't - it sure as shit was not "fashionable" to be anti-israel 30 yrs ago - which i became during the first Intifada and have remianed.

I was a full bore KKK anti-semite in the 80's and 90's, now I'm just the same said for Republicans.

Fashion (WRT to Israel) my ASS!!!!!!!

its STILL "death" for anyone that wants to have a political future to be anti-Israel (which is Anti-Aparthied).

but AIPAC still rules over conscience and justice in the political world. not one mainline politician on the right or the left will take on AIPAC.

------------------------------

BTW grassroots pleabs (folks like you and me - are trending against Israel - i was just 30 yrs a head of the curve), in the next 10 yrs here in american expect to see the Dems "cut the cord" and some actual top dem candidates no longer support Israel (for by then it will be "Safe" for them to do so).

as for the Republicans, being now fullbore evangelicals ("their country(Israel)right or wrong" - for Rapture), Hell will freeze over (even cattlecars will not make them see reason/morality and repent) they will be the sole defenders of Apartheid these next 30 yrs.

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:46 pm They don't actually give a damn about Palestinians,
dissagree.

Democrats - so all American Jews (the "last holdouts for Israel - are FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!! shifting against that racist state - slowly).

the shift started in the mid 90's.

75 percent dems pro israel

25 percent Repubs.

-------by

2007 it was 50/50!!!!!!!! (Jenin (and Rachel Cory) shifted some dems to allow the 50/50)

Operation "cast lead" - where the bigoted racist state of Israel killed a few thousand of women and children stateless citizens of Gaza in 2009 - was the turning point.

since that time the "rapture fixated" Republicans here in america are the majority supporters of Israel.

NOT the Democrats - including the jewish ones BTW.

--------------------

you are not an american and so do not understand the power of AIPAC to intimidate.

I am an American and know full well.

there is no "Fashion" involved per being against Israel - even now when we have a neaar NAZI state over there running rabid - killing many in the name of "security"..............for throwing rocks or just standing still too close to a fence.
Those were your words!
Walker

Post by Walker »

Exodus
Paul Newman, Kennedy BIL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3FtzmvAiMc