There is no art or beauty

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

QuantumT

There is no art or beauty

Post by QuantumT »

Art and beauty does not exist. It is all in the eyes of the beholder. It's perception.

Just because many people agree on the same perception, does not make it real. Just popular.
vegetariantaxidermy

Re: There is no art or beauty

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Actually it's physics, like everything else.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

QuantumT wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 11:12 pm Art and beauty does not exist. It is all in the eyes of the beholder. It's perception.

Just because many people agree on the same perception, does not make it real. Just popular.
I would say that to say there is no art and beauty is self defeating because you must have an idea as to what it is in the first place before you can say it doesn't exist and ideas do exist in the mind where it counts the most so it doesn't matter if art and beauty have an actual physical existence or not as that would be irrelevant. The fact that art and beauty coincide for many people is a happy coincidence.

🇺🇸PhilX🇺🇸
Walker

Post by Walker »

QuantumT wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 11:12 pm Art and beauty does not exist. It is all in the eyes of the beholder. It's perception.

The golden ratio accounts for objective beauty, and good photographic composition is rooted in proportionality.
QuantumT

Post by QuantumT »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 4:46 am I would say that to say there is no art and beauty is self defeating because you must have an idea as to what it is in the first place before you can say it doesn't exist and ideas do exist in the mind where it counts the most so it doesn't matter if art and beauty have an actual physical existence or not as that would be irrelevant. The fact that art and beauty coincide for many people is a happy coincidence.

🇺🇸PhilX🇺🇸
So it exists the same way as Donald Duck, kinda :mrgreen:
bahman

Post by bahman »

Art is a mental activity. Beauty is a property of experience.
duszek

Post by duszek »

Beauty is an interpretation of a physical perception.

Beauty is a concept attached to a physical perception.

(best of duszek so far)
Skip

Post by Skip »

There are many kinds of beauty and many kinds of art, and the two don't necessarily coincide in any of their variations.
When they do, it's a pleasant but ephemeral experience for the viewer.
When they diverge - as when art is not beautiful, and beauty is not artificial - the experience has a lasting effect, from the profoundly troubling to the sublime, and the viewer is changed by that experience.

Oh, yes, they exist, and they're both far more significant to the human mind than most of us realize.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Yawn, you are a babblehead!
QuantumT

Post by QuantumT »

HexHammer wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 9:00 pm Yawn, you are a babblehead!
Flet næbet kloge Åge, hvis du ikke har et bidrag til emnet :P
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Let me just kill your thread for you.

If, as you say art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder, then do you disagree that the eyes of the beholder are perceiving reality?

Since it - art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder - then it stands to reason, that art and beauty exist.
Walker

Post by Walker »

attofishpi wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 9:25 am

If, as you say art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder, then do you disagree that the eyes of the beholder are perceiving reality?

Since it - art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder - then it stands to reason, that art and beauty exist.
Since logs are also in the eye of the beholder, are logs art?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Walker wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 9:33 am
attofishpi wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 9:25 am

Since logs are also in the eye of the beholder, are logs art?
...LOG_I_C

..i doubt you understand.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

...FO_REST

..i still doubt u understand.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

QuantumT wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 9:02 pm
HexHammer wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 9:00 pm Yawn, you are a babblehead!
Flet næbet kloge Åge, hvis du ikke har et bidrag til emnet :P
My contribution is that to make you pollute this forum less with completely irrelevant nonsense.

I try to make you see your err, and thus make actual philosophy.