Who should make the first move...

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Who should make the first move...

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

to set up a relationship?The man or the woman? If men were always more aggressive as often seems the case, there would be no problem. What if say, the man and woman were attracted to each other, what then? Who should make the first move? What would this be based on?

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Science Fan

Re: Who should make the first move...

Post by Science Fan »

Women typically are more selective than men, because they have a greater investment in producing offspring than men. But, the issue of whether this means men "should" or "should not" initiate the first-move is a different issue, because just because something is natural does not make it moral. Personally, I don't see why it matters. But, I'm also of the opinion that simply because a woman makes the first move, that does not make her in any way "slutty." Hence, it doesn't matter to me who makes the first move to establish a relationship.
Philosophy Explorer

Science Fan wrote: โ†‘Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:59 pm Women typically are more selective than men, because they have a greater investment in producing offspring than men. But, the issue of whether this means men "should" or "should not" initiate the first-move is a different issue, because just because something is natural does not make it moral. Personally, I don't see why it matters. But, I'm also of the opinion that simply because a woman makes the first move, that does not make her in any way "slutty." Hence, it doesn't matter to me who makes the first move to establish a relationship.
It matters because if no one makes the first move, the human population disappears.

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Science Fan

Post by Science Fan »

How would that ever happen? It won't. Someone is going to make the first move. Your very question assumes someone will make the first move, you were just asking about whom should make it, not whether a first-move should actually be made or not, regardless of which gender makes it.

Do you really think that humans, a product of roughly 4 billion years of evolution, would all of a sudden stop reproducing because they couldn't figure out who should make the first move?
Philosophy Explorer

Science Fan wrote: โ†‘Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:30 pm How would that ever happen? It won't. Someone is going to make the first move. Your very question assumes someone will make the first move, you were just asking about whom should make it, not whether a first-move should actually be made or not, regardless of which gender makes it.

Do you really think that humans, a product of roughly 4 billion years of evolution, would all of a sudden stop reproducing because they couldn't figure out who should make the first move?
My question doesn't assume that. It's asking that if someone were to make the first move, who should make it?

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Beauty

Post by Beauty »

I think the first move should be made by anyone and it should not matter. The outcome is not going to change feelings because. But the reason a guy proposes is because a good looking guy with a not good looking woman will reject her, but the beautiful woman with the not so good looking guy won't. And so guys take the initiative and propose 'cause they will seldom be let down.
duszek

Post by duszek »

How about inocuous moves ?

Anybody can invite an acquaintance for a beer. Any pretext works. And then things can develop on their own and one day one of the two can ask: "Are we going to marry or not ? Because my mother wants to know."

And if the chat is not a good one can always back out using an excuse. And both can save their face and nobody has a feeling of having been rejected.
Beauty

Post by Beauty »

Making the first move I thought was always regarding proposals for marriage. In everyday life otherwise - invitations for a drink or hanging out or movies or a walk etc., anyone can make the move because logically the one interested will do that.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:15 pm to set up a relationship?The man or the woman? If men were always more aggressive as often seems the case, there would be no problem. What if say, the man and woman were attracted to each other, what then? Who should make the first move? What would this be based on?

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
This is an interesting and entertaining paper that explains how and why women have traditionally not made the first move.

https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/1 ... 9596-y.pdf
QuantumT

Post by QuantumT »

A woman who makes the first move, could be a femme fatale.

Not making a move shows her lack of aggression, and therefore less of a probabylity of her being a sociopath.

So guys, roll up your sleeves. The good ones wants to be conquered!
Philosophy Explorer

QuantumT wrote: โ†‘Sat May 19, 2018 10:34 pm A woman who makes the first move, could be a femme fatale.

Not making a move shows her lack of aggression, and therefore less of a probabylity of her being a sociopath.

What if she doesn't make any moves?

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
QuantumT

Post by QuantumT »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Sat May 19, 2018 10:38 pm What if she doesn't make any moves?

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Check her pulse, and maybe call an ambulance.
Philosophy Explorer

QuantumT wrote: โ†‘Sat May 19, 2018 10:42 pm
Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Sat May 19, 2018 10:38 pm What if she doesn't make any moves?

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Check her pulse, and maybe call an ambulance.
I would try mouth-to-mouth resuscitation first.

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
QuantumT

Post by QuantumT »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Sat May 19, 2018 10:54 pm I would try mouth-to-mouth resuscitation first.

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
:mrgreen:
Walker

Post by Walker »

QuantumT wrote: โ†‘Sat May 19, 2018 10:34 pm A woman who makes the first move, could be a femme fatale.

If the most seductive ones also wear crooked lipstick then run for the hills.