English is partly Danish (old norse)

What did you say? And what did you mean by it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Re: English is partly Danish (old norse)

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Closely related to nasal is some English have a reputation for being stuffy.

PhilX 🇺🇸
QuantumT

Post by QuantumT »

-1- wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 3:36 pm Oh, and the English came from Saxonia; hence the expression "Anglo-Saxon". This is a part of Germany, not of Denmark or of Holland. The bulk of the Germanic based words in English are slightly altered forms of the original old German (if there is such a thing) words. Not Dutch or Norse.
Boy, I really hit a nerve, huh? :D

When I claim that a cake has sugar, and that sugar is important in a cake, I do not claim there is no flour or that flour is not important too.

I just find the viking/old norse angle much more interesting than the latin/anglo-saxon.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

It does sound rather 'Scandinavian' to my ears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvgYLAKpU5g
QuantumT

Post by QuantumT »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 11:02 pm It does sound rather 'Scandinavian' to my ears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvgYLAKpU5g
Oh my god! You are so right!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyWnTwtDgxE
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Teadrinker = Viking
Stop = stop
Halt = holdt
Start = start
Eye = øje
Mouth = mund
Ear = øre
Way = vej
Tree = træ
Hand = hånd
Go = gå
Sea = sø
Land = land
Side = side
QuantumT

Post by QuantumT »

HexHammer wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 12:42 am Teadrinker = Viking
Haha! Very funny! :mrgreen:
Viking comes from Vik, wich is old norse for "bay".
So viking just means "person from the bay".

One could speculate how the name came to be. Well if you imagine a conversation between an englishman and a dane in 850, it could have sounded something like this:

- Where are you from?
- I am from the bay. (Denmark had no name in 850)

To the englishman it would sound like:

- I am Viking.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

QuantumT wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:08 pm
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Remember that the other Scandinavian countries are Knækbrød and Salmoners.
Only Denmark are Viking!
-1-

Post by -1- »

QuantumT wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:08 pm
Viking comes from Vik, wich is old norse for "bay".
So viking just means "person from the bay".

One could speculate how the name came to be. Well if you imagine a conversation between an englishman and a dane in 850, it could have sounded something like this:

- Where are you from?
- I am from the bay. (Denmark had no name in 850)

To the englishman it would sound like:

- I am Viking.
I have a different take on this.

Some Vikings made the English obey them. The English tried to do the reverse, but could not. So they said of the illegal Danish immigrants, "He's not obeying." Some thought this referred to Irish last names, and wanted to rid the word of the Irish influence, so they shorted "O'Bey" to "Bey." Which to a Viking may have sounded like "Bay". So the "He ain't obeying" Became "He ain't baying" or "he aint viking, because only someone who is a true vik will vike."

This gets convoluted further, when you consider that the Scotts wanted a piece of action of history, so they said, "Only a true Scotsman..." Etc, which in turn became the name of a by now world-famous fallacious argument.
QuantumT

Post by QuantumT »

-1- wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 3:09 am I have a different take on this.

Some Vikings made the English obey them. The English tried to do the reverse, but could not. So they said of the illegal Danish immigrants, "He's not obeying." Some thought this referred to Irish last names, and wanted to rid the word of the Irish influence, so they shorted "O'Bey" to "Bey." Which to a Viking may have sounded like "Bay". So the "He ain't obeying" Became "He ain't baying" or "he aint viking, because only someone who is a true vik will vike."

This gets convoluted further, when you consider that the Scotts wanted a piece of action of history, so they said, "Only a true Scotsman..." Etc, which in turn became the name of a by now world-famous fallacious argument.
A dane would say: Den skal du sgu længere ud på landet med.

(Roughly) Translated: You're to close to civilisation to be considered plausible.
QuantumT

Post by QuantumT »

Fun fact:

Uptil recently Jutland (the largest western part of Denmark) was split in two lingually.

In the eastern half they would speak nouns like official danish, with specification at the end (like the rest of Scandinavia):

The house = Huset
The town = Byen

But in the western half they would say:

Æ hus = The house
Æ by = The town

So when the danes changed english, the english also changed danish! For a while at least...
Nowadays with internet and TV, official danish has repressed the old jutish "Æ".
-1-

Post by -1- »

QuantumT wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 8:29 pm A dane would say: Den skal du sgu længere ud på landet med.
To me it sounds more like the English translation ought to be "Then sing you longer, Special Geriatric Unit, and papa will land your meds (In your physical inbox)."
QuantumT

Post by QuantumT »

-1- wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 11:02 pm
QuantumT wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 8:29 pm A dane would say: Den skal du sgu længere ud på landet med.
To me it sounds more like the English translation ought to be "Then sing you longer, Special Geriatric Unit, and papa will land your meds (In your physical inbox)."
You seem as crazy as I am! :mrgreen:

Here's the word-to-word translation: That one you friggin' need to get further out in the lands with.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

-1- wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 3:27 pm Almost all basic concepts have two words for them in English, one Latin based via French, one Germanic based.
yep!

BTW Harold would have won (was wining the battle) over William, but got hit by arrow "in the eye" (prob somewhere in head)..............his men then fled the field and gave William the win to throne that was Harolds legally.

oh well.

the rest is history..................and English is now 1/2 French instead of all german.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

-1- wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 3:36 pm
The Norse came to England in 1000 I believe? or thereabouts.
650-1000 northern half of england.
-1- wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 3:36 pm There was an Anglo-Saxon invasion separate from that that made a much deeper impact of making the modern English language, than the Norse one. The two impressions (A-S and N) likely were not too different from each other.
??? about A-S and N

welcome undersanding though.

Alfred the Great stemmed the tide of the Nordic "hords".

-1- wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 3:36 pm Actually, please ask Guffo if you want precise facts. I trust Guffo for his knowledge of history,
I'm honored in my name's mentioned - but you give me too much credit.

in a "hoddyist" historian - having an interest and no official citations.

i thank you nonetheless.

-1- wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 3:36 pm he is interested in knowing the details, not just the general trends like I. I am calling the facts in this post from hazy memories of high school studies, which was over 50 years ago, so you can understand that my recall may not be accurate to the facts.
like you i'm "old" HS being 30+ ys ago. lol.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

-1- wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 3:42 pm The reason anyone wants to claim Dutch or Danish roots for the English language is the extreme prejudice (even if it's subconscious) of the English against the Germans.

??

don't understand your view here but would like to.

-1- wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 3:42 pm This was the main cause of Brexit, too.
all rubes..............and i thought as an american fool only america had "rednecks"

fool ME - britian's got dumb hicks too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

a learning lesson for me.................(my gain (I guess - i can but Blurays our of my region for 1/3 disscount - and removed the region codes thanks to China! (FabDVD).........) my gain. but still what fools!!!!!!!!!!!

still sad over my personal gain.

oh well.

live and learn (for the Brit Rednecks).

-1- wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 3:42 pm The British realized,that they are not a policy maker or a a shaker-and-mover in and of the European Union;

not to mention the Brit Heyseeds were still think 60 yrs prior (rule Britainia!!!!!!!)................wake up call ..............decades ago

My Brethren (I'm american (you are a Canadian?) that voted for the Trumpster have the same moronic mindset.

living in ideal of past empire.

ship sailed for them and "us" - 60 yrs ag0/20 yr ago respectivly.

-1- wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 3:42 pm it's Germany and Germany alone who calls the shots,

with respect its 60/40 or so.

France being the 40. no fan of France - surrender monkey/vichy (they still refuse to face that history) -so personally no fan of "historical cowards"(so not fan of Japan on this count either BTW).

but France does make up the other half of the EU - the lesser half - but legit sizable half.

just stating for clarification.

-1- wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 3:42 pm and the British wanted no part of that.
nor the concept of being a part of Europe.

the always viewed themselves as "themselves" - i visited England in the mid 90's BTW - just saying - i noted this mentality then and now).

to "Them" there is there is "the continent" and "England".......I'm thinking internally WTF?????????????????? you are 15 mlles from the "continent!"..............but i guess for an Englishman 15 miles is as 15000 miles.................
whatever. (Ithought the whole mentality was hubristic foolishness and not based upon simple geography - but i'm just a dumb american).

due to that demented mentality the English never really were willing to join the whole EU mentality =- even when they were "in" it.

-1- wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 3:42 pm They would rather exit the EU than become an economic vassal state of Germany like practically all other European countries have become by now.
Trumpite Englander's cut their throat! - and good riddance! get what they voted for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

say goodby to Northren Ireland..................."good friday acreement" ----25 yrs of peace and open boarders GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

no, bombs will not return.........................$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ talks, Northern Ireland will just end up voting itself into the Republic of Ireland in 10 yrs time (say goodbye England!)......................might have to say goodbye to Scottland too!!!!!!!! (that will depend upon the reforendum "brexit" might create - they voted to stay in the UK prior to Brixit, but Scotts like the EU and post Brexit i expect they will have a new vote------------------------and will leave the UK as NI will.

as will Gibraliter BTW - thanks to Rubes for Brexit, England can kiss Gibraler goodbye. it will soon become a part of Spain (after the checkpoints/barbed wire are reinstated, as in the 1970's?

such fooks - voting for things with international repercussions the hayseeds have not understanding nor respect for.

they get the full the repercussions coming to them IMO.