What is wise?

Known unknowns and unknown unknowns!

Moderators: AMod, iMod

duszek

Re: What is wise?

Post by duszek »

Learning from one´s own mistakes and trying out better options next time.
-1-

Post by -1- »

What is wise?

A person who is wise is a person whose wisdom is inferior to someone else's who is wiser. Lawrie Wiser comes to mind.
duszek

Post by duszek »

wise = knowledgable ?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Blaggard wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:51 pm I have been thinking about wisdom recently and I don't think I can really grasp what it means any more, it's used for really odd things, so that it has become stretched so thin that there is no longer an actual wisdom any more.

Can someone bring me back down to Earth perhaps, what the hell is it, and what do people mean when they say someone is wise or someone has wisdom?
Wisdom is the unique capacity to decipher the difference between what is Real and Unreal.. and to know that all conclusions are nothing more than (fodder for the mind)..

Here is a sample of some human mind made wisdom...

Adyashanti
The Quest (2007)

The quest for enlightenment is the quest for truth or reality. It’s not a quest for ideas about truth—that’s philosophy. And it’s not a quest to realize your fantasies about truth—that’s fundamentalized religion. It’s a quest for truth on truth’s terms. It’s a quest for the underlying principle of life, the unifying element of existence.

In your quiet moments of honesty, you know that you are not who you present yourself as, or who you pretend to be. Although you have changed identities many times, and changed them even in the course of a single day, none of them fit for long. They are all in a process of constant decay. One moment you’re a loving person, the next an angry one. One day you’re an indulgent, worldly person; the next a pure, spiritual lover of God. One moment you love your image of yourself, and the next you loathe it. On it goes, identified with one self-image after another, each as separate and false as the last.

When this game of delusion gets boring or painful enough, something within you begins to stir. Out of the unsatisfactoriness of separation arises the intuition that there is something more real than you are now conscious of. It is the intuition that there is truth, although you do not know what it is. But you know, you intuit, that truth exists, truth that has absolutely nothing to do with your ideas about it. But somehow you know that the truth about you and all of life exists.

Once you receive this intuition, this revelation, you will be compelled to find it. You will have no choice in the matter. You will have consciously begun the authentic quest for enlightenment, and there is no turning back. Life as you’ve known it will never be quite the same.

A great Zen master said, “Do not seek the truth; simply cease cherishing illusions.” If there is a primary practice or path to enlightenment, this is it—to cease cherishing illusions. Seeking truth can be a game, complete with a new identity as a truth-seeker fueled by new ideas and beliefs. But ceasing to cherish illusions is no game; it’s a gritty and intimate form of deconstructing yourself down to nothing. Get rid of all of your illusions and what’s left is the truth. You don’t find truth as much as you stumble upon it when you have cast away your illusions.

As the master said, “Do not seek the truth.” But you can’t stop seeking just because some ancient Zen master said to. Seeking is an energy, a movement toward something. Spiritual seekers are moving toward God, nirvana, enlightenment, ultimate truth, whatever. To seek something, you must have at least some vague idea or image of what it is you are seeking. But ultimate truth is not an idea or an image or something attained anew. So, to seek truth as something objective is a waste of time and energy. Truth can’t be found by seeking it, simply because truth is what you are. Seeking what you are is as silly as your shoes looking for their soles by walking in circles. What is the path that will lead your shoes to their soles? That’s why the Zen master said, “Do not seek the truth.” Instead, cease cherishing illusions.

To cease cherishing illusions is a way of inverting the energy of seeking. The energy of seeking will be there in one form or another until you wake up from the dream state. You can’t just get rid of it. You need to learn how to invert it and use the energy to deconstruct the illusions that hold your consciousness in the dream state. This sounds relatively simple, but the consequences can seem quite disorienting, even threatening. I’m not talking about a new spiritual technique here; I’m talking about a radically different orientation to the whole of your spiritual life. This is not a little thing. It is a very big thing, and your best chance of awakening depends on it. “Do not seek the truth; simply cease cherishing illusions.” And if you’re like most spiritually oriented people, your spirituality is your most cherished illusion. Imagine that.

------
Beauty

Post by Beauty »

I think being wise means that you don't displease anyone in the process of saying or doing, which is akin to being diplomatic in saying and doing. Also, being wise means that you are good to yourself and don't hurt yourself. Wisdom means that you live life with open eyes and accept the harsh realities of life and not turn a blind eye to them. Don't be an April fool is what wisdom means. April fool means - the person sees only spring everywhere all the time in all seasons or in other words will not accept life's realities. The April born are all april fools. Guess what? I'm an april born. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh! Always a fool! But the april born will also be into truth a lot from the viewpoint that they refuse to be diplomatic and want to be only truth, they live for truth and could get hurt and so on because they see only good in everyone, refusing to face that fact that there are bad people and wickedness and so on. Exceptions might be there. So.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Blaggard wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:51 pm I have been thinking about wisdom recently and I don't think I can really grasp what it means any more, it's used for really odd things, so that it has become stretched so thin that there is no longer an actual wisdom any more.

Can someone bring me back down to Earth perhaps, what the hell is it, and what do people mean when they say someone is wise or someone has wisdom?
to be wise is to know yourself (that means being true to yourself and knowing your subconscience as much as is possible (a life long endever BTW).

wisdom is not linked to knowledge in any way.

there are pleny of foolish astro-physicists.

a simple illiterate bangali farmer - if he know's himself (and not a romantic - so i've no doubt that there are millions of foolish farmers as there are astrophycistis!) has wisdom.

I'm not a realigius man (athiest in fact) - but value the "pearl of price" - that of wisdom.

a goal i have strived for all my life.

thanks for the thread. a worthy topic not value much today sadly. ;-(.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Arising_uk wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:37 pm My take is its those who've learnt from experience and can tell you how and what.
yes.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

The Voice of Time wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:34 am There's no secret what wisdom is. Wisdom is the efficiency of knowledge. So if your knowledge is efficient: it is dependable and creates desirable effects, then it is efficient, and then it is wisdom.
nope.

I'll take the council of a wise bushman that lived 100,000 yrs ago over a knowledgeable modern fool any day.

knowledge is not in any way linked to wisdom.

in no way at all.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Janekk wrote: Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:03 pm My guess is that wisdom is something obtained throughout years but the person has to be at least clever at their young age to achieve wisdom later. If you're a bit of an idiot at the age of, let's say, 27 then there is very little chance for progress in the future. My apologies :D
yes, i agree.

the capacity for wisdom is like any other (like intelligence).

modern society equates "book knowledge" (prodogies) with wisdom.

i think both traits are in-born - but unlike my society's view (1. prodogy's are wise 2. knowledge = wisdom).

I reject that idea.

I affirm that each talent as separate and to a great degree inborn (I was born an "old soul" - take that claim as you will - just stating such). so are born "book smart" for knowledge - and could not walk their way out of street trouble due to lack of "horse sense"

here are some born "dumb" per the above - yet are able to "Read people" (so they are retarded wise?)..................

most of us were born in the middle.

but yes, environment offers learning to only a degree - IMO a small one - 10 percent.

I think most of us were born in the middle 50 percent.

only those born "smart" (booksmart) will be able to be the next Einstian given environment.

same of folks like me born "wise" (old souls) - not knowing about Descrarte at all in any way reached his view on his understanding upon "things" (meditations book) - as a 16 yr old (learn he came to my conclusions on the same matters 5 yrs later in a college course when i first learn of the man).

I'm no genious! just born for one trait a capacity to wisdom, and middle ground for the other strait (book knowledge)..................college ed in math/engineering/etc................able, but not duck to water as "Wisdom" has always been for me.

just my 2-cents.

no intent to be a braggart. i hate such and no wish to be equated to such folks.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Janekk wrote: Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:03 pm My guess is that wisdom is something obtained throughout years but the person has to be at least clever at their young age to achieve wisdom later. If you're a bit of an idiot at the age of, let's say, 27 then there is very little chance for progress in the future. My apologies :D
short story that will remain with me until my death.

I remember standing in line at "academy" department store in 1991, and kid and mother in front front of me. small black kid - 8? or so (black - i mention becuase I'm a humanist -not an asshole rascist - so "Even black's" can have wisdom). this small black kid notes the "gulf war" cards and asks his mom why are they selling such things when it concerns "war/death/etc"................mom was clueless usual frazzled mom..not saying she was a fool - but her conduct WRT to her kid did not seem that she was wise/nor that she gave wisdom to her kid.

the kid was just an "old soul" - born with the potential for wisdom!

he'd be 35? or so now if still alive, and i bet he is a wise man.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

duszek wrote: Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:22 pm An example of wise is for example the verdict of the king Salomon in the Bible:

two women claimed a child to be their own.

Salomon said: cut the child in two parts.

One woman agreed, the other one preferred to let the child live and to stay with the other woman.

The second woman was the true mother, decided Salomon.

Do you have other examples of "wise" ?

Then we could try to deduce a general definition from the particular examples.
prefect example Sir! and why i do value "the bible" (I have mind and so reject the shit books like Leviticus) for what if offer for those with a mind.

If Saloman existed (prob did)- or partaked in the particular written in the Torah (prob not (IMO) - but the author of that work had the same value/wisdom - so its all good to me).
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

thedoc wrote: Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:21 am Perhaps wise is knowing when to keep your mouth shut.
ALWAYS Sir!

lol.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote: Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:42 pm
What is wise?
Knowing not to read and reply to every pointless thread you see on this forum, and most forums in general.

being a "cynical kewl" hipster ended with Garofalo's 40th.

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote: Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:42 pm Since this topic seems slightly less vapid than most, (albeit this topic is quite lazy) I will give you the answer you seek.

One does not seek wisdom, but Truth. Once Truth is attained, wisdom will flow in abundance.
Wisdom is less vapid than knowledge (I think the latter can be utterly sometimes - the former never can be so).

so maybe you are vapid instead?

--------------

BTW Truth will never be knowable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yet wisdom is acheivable (i.e. "the more i know the more i know i know nothing".......somesuch).

you got got your horses reversed and full of it (IMO).
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Blaggard wrote: Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:21 pm There is no truth, that at least is wisdom.
indeed!!!!!!!!

amend.

IMO

their is Truth.

but unfindable and irrelivent.

Wisdom is achievable, unlike truth.

(in this life - i deny any other being an athiest - just sayin here).
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote: Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:49 am
Blaggard wrote:There is no truth, that at least is wisdom.
To say that there is no truth, is untruth.
i agree, but being an ant its not relivant since i cannot by my nature find Truth

(in this life - not assume another one after).