Life is boring and meaningless, and most humans are ignorant & stupid. What is the meaning of life?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

The Woodster

Re: Life is boring and meaningless, and most humans are ignorant & stupid. What is the meaning of life?

Post by The Woodster »

Hi nikki,
Read my theory on the meaning of life, it will take you about 30 mins, and even if you disagree with most of it, parts of it are guaranteed to change your outlook on life, the universe and everything from this day forward. It contains original scientific theories which are unlike anything you will have read about or even imagined before, and allow you to view the world anew, with deeper understanding and awareness.
Forget all the different beliefs that we are given to choose from and put our faith into, all the religions, philosophies, sciences, etc. There are other, better choices available, ones never before contemplated or believed possible.
The theory is on this site, by The Woodster and titled "New theory about life, something never before contemplated....."
It will not be a wasted 30 mins, what have you to lose?

The Woodster
Last edited by The Woodster on Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Woodster

Re: Life is boring and meaningless, and most humans are ignorant & stupid. What is the meaning of life?

Post by The Woodster »

x
Last edited by The Woodster on Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tbieter

Post by tbieter »

Next week I'll start reading the classic Man's Search for Meaning" by Victor E. Frankl.

I invite others to read the book and discuss it here.
Counterinsurgency

Post by Counterinsurgency »

I think the same way but I think the while this is going on you need to find your own meaning. You're obviously searching for one. You need to make it yourself. There is no definitive meaning. Set your sights on the biggest accomplishment that means something to you and just get it done. You need something to worry about. But also something to enjoy. Thats where a good life comes from. Thats what religion wants to get across. There are boundaries that you must follow to attain a balance of good and bad. Now i think that good and bad are subjective but from a human perspective good and bad are very real. They effect us in ways that no one can understand. Our minds are the most complicated things in the universe that we know of. Take example from Heaven and Hell, yin and yang, karma, etc. Even god and the devil represent our constant struggle for a balance. A balance between strife and success. Too much success and you become ungrateful. Too much strife and you become resentful. (depending on the person of course). Just a thought
tbieter

Post by tbieter »

tbieter wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:20 pm Next week I'll start reading the classic Man's Search for Meaning" by Victor E. Frankl.

I invite others to read the book and discuss it here.
This is the edition that I bought and will read.

https://www.amazon.com/Mans-Search-Mean ... or+meaning
Beauty

Post by Beauty »

I'd say life is everything but surely there's less joy, more work, less pain. Now, if we work then life has meaning. This is also why, "Work is worship." Work will resolve problems, lessen pain & suffering, help us become better people, take boredom away, bring energy and enthusiasm in our life, bring the right things in our life, bring desired things in our life etc. Work must remain mistake free, vice free and wickedness free else we invite pain/suffering in the future. So, there you go, your problem resolved. Let's say, scripture resolved it because I helped you understand scripture.
Nietzsche-nawt

Post by Nietzsche-nawt »

Life & meaning, RE: "Life is boring and meaningless, and most people / humans are ignorant & stupid. " Hmm, well, for what it's worth, I've come full circle starting out being raised in a Christian family believing in God etc, then going to "skewl" to gain enlightenment (or is it indoctrination?), then becoming a self described atheist, declaring that human existence is/was accidental and occured by happenstance, believing science could explain everything...to now. Now I believe in intelligent design. Do material things have meaning? Were they created or did they just pop into existence? Just Look at a fine pocket watch, a Porsche 918 Spyder, a Boeing 787 Dreamliner, a NASA space shuttle (minus the crummy engine booster O-rings) and a particle accelerator/super collider which have all been designed and built by human beings who are hardly ignorant and stupid! Now, surely these advanced thinkers, scientists, engineers and doers hardly fall into the "most people" demographic, as most people here on the Blue dot are poor, oppressed, ignorant, uneducated and can struggle in life, but, that doesn't mean that poor, ignorant human beings cannot crawl or be assisted out of poverty and ignorance by the assistance of other people, does it? Maybe, there could be your calling (a teacher)? These human inventions pale in comparison a hundred or perhaps even a thousand fold or more to the intricate complexities of matter and atoms, of human biology, DNA, complex proteins, the human brain or the human eye, all of which are utterly and damn near magically magnificent!!

Maybe a refocus or a retraining of one's thought or an examination of one's own biology, brain chemistry and neural health can be done to fix and do away with some of these dark thought processes that lead one into thinking life is meaningless? In other words, seek professional help and do not let these simple explanations to meaning be buried in the muddied waters of human intelligentsia and overthought, angst, despair and depression. Wake up, get off your brains' ass and exercise it. Think positive - positive thoughts lead to positive actions which lead to positive outcomes. Your brain acts like a muscle, it gets better and more strong with mental and physical exercise, so you need to get outside, get fresh air and sun, move your body. If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at can change. Life most certainly has meaning! Move away your preconceived notions and assumptions from your mind to refocus in order to see meaning. Seek the help, do the work, do the exercises, otherwise finding meaning will be difficult. Simple explanations for meaning, which are actually quite complex when examined in depth of course, can be hidden right in plain sight, right before our very eyes due to our own lack of effort, awareness and attention.
A_Seagull

Post by A_Seagull »

niki wrote: Tue May 26, 2015 12:28 am Life is boring and meaningless, and most people / humans are ignorant & stupid. What is the meaning of life? Is there actually any point at all? If there is actually none, then is it okay to commit suicide to end this ridiculous, stupid, empty, & meaningless existence?

Life is wonderful and special. People are incredibly intelligent and considerate. Humans are free to do whatever they want to do and to believe whatever they want to believe ..(within the boundaries of physical possibility)

If things are not working out so well for you, perhaps you should consider a philosophy upgrade...
Diversia

Post by Diversia »

I am not by any stretch of the imagination a psychologist or have psychiatric aspirations but I have felt within the span of my 47 years that feeling of not quite "belonging" to mainstream humanity, myself. I call this in my own mind disassociation but I am not sure that the term is entirely correct. I work with the public as my form of occupation and sometimes I have to shrug or shake my head in disbelief at the myriad issues that come up when dealing with said public. I think that as a race we are still infantile and we must eventually learn to come out of our sleeping shells. It is good to know that I am not alone in these thoughts.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Life is boring and meaningless, and most humans are ignorant & stupid. What is the meaning of life?

Answer: this: Life is boring and meaningless, and most humans are ignorant & stupid.
Nietzsche-nawt

Post by Nietzsche-nawt »

I think Albert Camus was onto something here when he said: “The literal meaning of life is whatever you're doing that prevents you from killing yourself.”
TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

Nietzsche-nawt wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:13 am I think Albert Camus was onto something here when he said: “The literal meaning of life is whatever you're doing that prevents you from killing yourself.”
Substitute "prevents" with "distracts" and I think you are on the money ;)
Nietzsche-nawt

Post by Nietzsche-nawt »

The word "distract" may be the more temporary and nihilistic term of the two, so, for me, I'd prefer "prevent."
TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

Nietzsche-nawt wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:42 pm The word "distract" may be the more temporary and nihilistic term of the two, so, for me, I'd prefer "prevent."
I see it differently.

'Prevent' suggests that I am actually trying to kill myself so actual, conceited effort is required to stop me from following through. It suggests an internal struggle.
'Distract' implies that I have things to amuse myself with, so I have a reason to live. Suicide is the product of boredom.

Having concluded nihilism through the scientific method, I CHOSE life anyway :)
Nietzsche-nawt

Post by Nietzsche-nawt »

Ah, suicide "distraction" vs. suicide "prevention", I see...I think.