Life Support and Death Support

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

Life Support and Death Support

Post by Walker »

New twist for terminally ill toddler.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/alfie-evan ... e-francis/

“Italy has sent a military plane to Britain to transport Alfie to Rome if the courts allow it. Alfie has also been granted Italian citizenship to facilitate his arrival and transport.”

If the courts allow it?
Greta

Re: Life Support and Death Support

Post by Greta »

If the child does much better than expected then that may have implications for neuroscience, since the baby's brain was deemed only capable of delivering a vegetative existence.

If not, then perhaps some suffering could have been avoided and medical costs diverted towards cases with better prospects. It's basically long odds bet made with health resources and people's emotions.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Doctors turn off life support all the time. Why on earth is this being used as some kind of kkkristian hobby horse?
-1-

Post by -1- »

Walker wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:29 pm New twist for terminally ill toddler.

“Italy has sent a military plane to Britain to transport Alfie to Rome if the courts allow it. Alfie has also been granted Italian citizenship to facilitate his arrival and transport.”

If the courts allow it?
I think this was a pun... Alfie to Rome, in an Alpha Romeo.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Greta wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:18 am If the child does much better than expected then that may have implications for neuroscience, since the baby's brain was deemed only capable of delivering a vegetative existence.

If not, then perhaps some suffering could have been avoided and medical costs diverted towards cases with better prospects. It's basically long odds bet made with health resources and people's emotions.
No skin off the nose of England for the parents to take him to Italy, and the parents know the situation.
Last edited by Walker on Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walker

Post by Walker »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:28 am Doctors turn off life support all the time. Why on earth is this being used as some kind of kkkristian hobby horse?
Are you blind?

God sends a plane so the kid can get a drink of water and a bite of food, and the government of England says, F-you.

They say, We own this life.
Walker

Post by Walker »

-1- wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:16 am
Walker wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:29 pm New twist for terminally ill toddler.

If the courts allow it?
I think this was a pun... Alfie to Rome, in an Alpha Romeo.
It sounds more like destiny denied by England.
vegetariantaxidermy

Walker wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:14 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:28 am Doctors turn off life support all the time. Why on earth is this being used as some kind of kkkristian hobby horse?
Are you blind?

God sends a plane so the kid can get a drink of water and a bite of food, and the government of England says, F-you.

I'm sure the parents can take him home any time they want to and leave it to ''God'' to take care of.
You do realise what 'life support' is don't you? If anything, ALL people on life support are going against ''God's will''.
Enough of your pathetic riddles. Have the guts to state an actual opinion for once.
Walker

Post by Walker »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:36 pm
Are you blind?

I'm sure the parents can take him home any time they want to and leave it to ''God'' to take care of.
You do realise what 'life support' is don't you? If anything, ALL people on life support are going against ''God's will''.
Enough of your pathetic riddles. Have the guts to state an actual opinion for once.
Can't you read?
Walker

Post by Walker »

"The Court of Appeal upheld a ruling on Wednesday preventing the 23-month-old from travelling abroad after life support was withdrawn."

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-merseyside-43904809

Thus, owned by England.
vegetariantaxidermy

Walker wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:09 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:36 pm
Are you blind?

Can't you read?
I don't read gibberish. That wasn't one of my school subjects.
Walker

Post by Walker »

The links aren't gibberish.

My writing isn't gibberish.

You're insulting, and off topic.

Little constipated?

:lol:
vegetariantaxidermy

The only way I know which 'side' you are on is because I know you are a religious nut. Other than that it's impossible to tell, which shouldn't be happening. You are an extremely irritating little person, with your silly gibberish and non-speak riddles.
Walker

Post by Walker »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:11 am The only way I know which 'side' you are on is because I know you are a religious nut. Other than that it's impossible to tell, which shouldn't be happening. You are an extremely irritating little person, with your silly gibberish and non-speak riddles.
Sorry you can't keep up.

Call yourself what you want, VT.

I think I'll call you Insulter from now on, until you get some sense, if ever.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Greta wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:18 am If the child does much better than expected then that may have implications for neuroscience, since the baby's brain was deemed only capable of delivering a vegetative existence.

No skin off the nose of England for the parents to take him to Italy, and the parents know the situation.
It depends on what's happening with the baby. There are various possibilities:

1. It feels no pain and can be revived to lead a viable life = ideal for all.
2. It feels pain but can be revived to lead a viable life = next best.
3. It feels pain and cannot be revived = condemning child to pointless suffering and waste of resources that could have been given to others with a realistic chance of survival.
4. It feels no pain and can't be revived = waste of resources that could have been given to others plus wastage of resources in stead of others.

The experts assessed that there is no hope. The parents found a second opinion they preferred. I guess that's where it's all up to.