Animals have more rights

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Animals have more rights

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

They really do. For example, they have the right to trespass on your property such as squirrels may do. They have the right to steal from your property such as raccoons may do when they steal your garbage. They have the right to urinate and defecate on your property. None of these a human being in general may do. Why do you think that is?

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
vegetariantaxidermy

Re: Animals have more rights

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Humans are allowed to trespass on their property and take away their habitat.
Philosophy Explorer

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: โ†‘Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:55 am Humans are allowed to trespass on their property and take away their habitat.
In the example I brought up, I meant outsiders who don't own the property.

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

....................................................may be wrong but, I thought humans are animals?...

Philosophy Explorer

Bill Wiltrack wrote: โ†‘Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:19 am .

....................................................may be wrong but, I thought humans are animals?...

You're supposed to be brighter than that. You mean you read past the examples of nonhumans. Keep living in ignorance.

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Many of them are vegetables.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

........................................Image

I'm gunna stick with, Humans ARE animals.

...me thinks you may be over thinkin this one...ya may be over philosophizin.

Philosophy Explorer

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: โ†‘Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:45 am

Many of them are vegetables.
How does this relate to the OP?

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Philosophy Explorer

Bill Wiltrack wrote: โ†‘Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:22 pm .

I'm gunna stick with, Humans ARE animals.

...me thinks you may be over thinkin this one...ya may be over philosophizin.

How does this relate to animal rights? Better start your own thread and watch out for trolling.

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Greta

Post by Greta »

It's not that nonhuman animals have extra rights so much as they are unable to comprehend human restrictions and are thus given leeway, since the alternative would effectively be annihilation.

However, to a fair extent this line of thought stems from the problem of other minds. Many times I would alight the crowded bus home after a horrible day in the office and look up enviously at birds flying free overhead. It didn't occur to me that some may have been fleeing from attack, or perhaps looking for a new nest after being displaced, or struggling to find enough food to keep their chicks healthy etc.
Philosophy Explorer

Greta wrote: โ†‘Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:11 am It's not that nonhuman animals have extra rights so much as they are unable to comprehend human restrictions and are thus given leeway, since the alternative would effectively be annihilation.

However, to a fair extent this line of thought stems from the problem of other minds. Many times I would alight the crowded bus home after a horrible day in the office and look up enviously at birds flying free overhead. It didn't occur to me that some may have been fleeing from attack, or perhaps looking for a new nest after being displaced, or struggling to find enough food to keep their chicks healthy etc.
That's another interpretation. Still doesn't mean that nonhuman animals don't have extra rights. And some animals can comprehend human restrictions through training ("stay Fido" "woof woof"). I've had a collie who I never saw before give me her paw (she wasn't trained to be friendly to me).

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Greta

Post by Greta »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:22 am
Greta wrote: โ†‘Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:11 am It's not that nonhuman animals have extra rights so much as they are unable to comprehend human restrictions and are thus given leeway, since the alternative would effectively be annihilation.

That's another interpretation. Still doesn't mean that nonhuman animals don't have extra rights. And some animals can comprehend human restrictions through training ("stay Fido" "woof woof"). I've had a collie who I never saw before give me her paw (she wasn't trained to be friendly to me).
Thing is, nonhuman animals have many less rights - they have zero say in their welfare, no lobbying power and no money. They may or may not be able to eke out a territory in the wildlife scraps still remaining, but increasingly they are being forced into human domains, where you wonder about the fairness of them being given temporary entry rights to people's properties as they search for a place to live and feed.
Philosophy Explorer

Greta wrote: โ†‘Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:54 am

Thing is, nonhuman animals have many less rights - they have zero say in their welfare, no lobbying power and no money. They may or may not be able to eke out a territory in the wildlife scraps still remaining, but increasingly they are being forced into human domains, where you wonder about the fairness of them being given temporary entry rights to people's properties as they search for a place to live and feed.
OTOH some animals do better under humans than they would on their own - getting fed and cared for. It's true in general they don't have a voice in how they're treated, but it can be made up for in other ways. It's how you look at it.

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Greta

Post by Greta »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:12 am

OTOH some animals do better under humans than they would on their own - getting fed and cared for. It's true in general they don't have a voice in how they're treated, but it can be made up for in other ways. It's how you look at it.
That is only because humans have taken or destroyed the resources that were once much more plentiful.
Philosophy Explorer

Greta wrote: โ†‘Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:57 am
Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:12 am
That is only because humans have taken or destroyed the resources that were once much more plentiful.
Is that a reason or an excuse?

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ