The thoughts of Nisargadatta Maharaj

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Atla

Re: The thoughts of Nisargadatta Maharaj

Post by Atla »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:46 pm I'm not from this galaxy by the way, I'm just dropping by temporally to carry out my assignment of being a light worker.
Which galaxy are you from? I'm from NGC 4871, it's an unremarkable little lenticular galaxy, not much going on there other than that one of the gateways for the light workers is there. But I don't remember what happened before I crossed the gateway. The past is shrouded for me, I have some flashes but I can't make out what they could mean.

It took me like 50 thousand human years at warp 9.986 to get here from NGC 4871 by the way. Spent most of the journey in stasis though. It was boring.

They said that an intelligent species might emerge on this planet, so I need to come here. Well I would hardly call the humans intelligent, but they have a few interesting people like Nisargadatta.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:19 pm
Walker wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:00 pm The thought that is triggered is, did you even read what the academic in question, wrote?
No.

What did he write....I’ve looked back and can’t find anything relating to what the academic wrote...can you post the link again ...then I’ll take a look at it...I don’t mind doing reading, I just wasn’t aware I had to read it in the first place..
Are you drunk?

He wrote the foreword to the book, I Am That, which is a collection of edited dialogues between Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj and various visitors to his humble abode.

http://www.anandavala.info/miscl/I_Am_That.pdf

You will have to actually read the dialogues to know if the foreword is hogwash. That's the rule.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Oh for goodness sake walker...of course I’m not drunk...I just don’t live in the land of thinking anymore...give me a chance to get my brain in gear... :wink:

I mean the world of analysing....I’m not an analiser...

Notice the word analysing has got word anal in it...words are coded you know? :wink:

My thinking comes straight from the sources mouth, not from some human anal region.

Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Walker wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:34 pm
Walker wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:00 pm The thought that is triggered is, did you even read what the academic in question, wrote?
No.

What did he write....I’ve looked back and can’t find anything relating to what the academic wrote...can you post the link again ...then I’ll take a look at it...I don’t mind doing reading, I just wasn’t aware I had to read it in the first place..
Are you drunk?

He wrote the foreword to the book, I Am That, which is a collection of edited dialogues between Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj and various visitors to his humble abode.

You will have to actually read the dialogues to know if the foreword is hogwash. That's the rule.
Okay, thanks for the reminder of what I’m supposed to be reading...I’ll read the forward and get back to you...with my interpretation of what the academic wrote..
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Atla wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:21 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:46 pm I'm not from this galaxy by the way, I'm just dropping by temporally to carry out my assignment of being a light worker.
Which galaxy are you from? I'm from NGC 4871, it's an unremarkable little lenticular galaxy, not much going on there other than that one of the gateways for the light workers is there. But I don't remember what happened before I crossed the gateway. The past is shrouded for me, I have some flashes but I can't make out what they could mean.

It took me like 50 thousand human years at warp 9.986 to get here from NGC 4871 by the way. Spent most of the journey in stasis though. It was boring.

They said that an intelligent species might emerge on this planet, so I need to come here. Well I would hardly call the humans intelligent, but they have a few interesting people like Nisargadatta.
Is this something the BS generator generated again?

Trick me once, then I lose trust in you.

Atla

Post by Atla »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:54 pm

What an odd thing to say. Many of us multidimensional beings are on missions on this planet, but maybe you're just a human making stuff up?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Atla wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:09 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:54 pm

What an odd thing to say. Many of us multidimensional beings are on missions on this planet, but maybe you're just a human making stuff up?
I don’t trust you, it’s as simple as that...your not my kind, so thanks, but no thanks.

Walker

Post by Walker »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:52 pm
Walker wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:34 pm

No.

Are you drunk?

Okay, thanks for the reminder of what I’m supposed to be reading...I’ll read the forward and get back to you...with my interpretation of what the academic wrote..
:)

Q: "I feel the need of cooling down."

M: "It is very often so with Americans and Europeans. After a stretch of sadhana they become charged with energy and fran-tically seek an outlet. They organize communities, become teachers of Yoga, marry, write books — anything except keep-ing quiet and turning their energies within, to find the source of the inexhaustible power and learn the art of keeping it under control."

- Surrender to Your Own Self

I Am That
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Walker wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:31 am Don’t you want to know why he wrote that?

Don’t you think it remarkable that an academic would write such a thing about an uneducated peasant?
Okay, I read the forward..written by the philosopher...and yes, I do agree it is remarkable that an academic would write that about a pious peasant....perhaps he saw his true self in the writings...The philosopher must have realised a deeper truth in nisargadattas words, that were his own, and is why words can be very important here, if used as pointers rather than literal things existing in and of themselves...The forward also shows that even the sense of the I Amness is a conceptual, and that the supreme absolute is beyond that simple I Amness state....so anyone with an ounce of intelligence would know that beyond ness prior to the IAmness must exist, and that we have no way of approaching it with our minds interpretation of it...just to know it’s there..here.

In future, ask me to read something ..instead of assuming I will read it ..because I don’t always read everything posted unless, it’s something new for me...

:D

It’s important that you brought this up though, I get what you were trying to show me now... :wink:
Walker

Post by Walker »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:11 pm
Walker wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:31 am Don’t you want to know why he wrote that?

Don’t you think it remarkable that an academic would write such a thing about an uneducated peasant?
Okay, I read the forward..written by the philosopher...and yes, I do agree it is remarkable that an academic would write that about a pious peasant....perhaps he saw his true self in the writings...The philosopher must have realised a deeper truth in nisargadattas words, that were his own, and is why words can be very important here, if used as pointers rather than literal things existing in and of themselves...The forward also shows that even the sense of the I Amness is a conceptual, and that the supreme absolute is beyond that simple I Amness state....so anyone with an ounce of intelligence would know that beyond ness prior to the IAmness must exist, and that we have no way of approaching it with our minds interpretation of it...just to know it’s there..here.

In future, ask me to read something ..instead of assuming I will read it ..because I don’t always read everything posted unless, it’s something new for me...

:D

It’s important that you brought this up though, I get what you were trying to show me now... :wink:
"Uneducated though the Master is, his conversation is enligh-
tened to an extraordinary degree. Though born and brought up in
poverty, he is the richest of the rich, for he has the limitless wealth
of perennial knowledge, compared to which the most fabulous
treasures are mere tinsel. He is warm-hearted and tender,
shrewdly humorous, absolutely fearless and absolutely true —
inspiring, guiding and supporting all who come to him."

- ibid
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Walker wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:25 am
Dontaskme wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:51 pm
Yes Walker, that last quote is almost identical in comparison of meaning in Descartes “I think, therefore I am,”..so yes, I agree, you are right, well spotted, I would never have seen that amazing coincidence myself...good job!
Are you serious?

(I’m trying to think of a response that would cause me to reply.)

:lol:
They do compare quite identically....I was being serious...so how do you think they compare...or don’t you think they do?....talk to me about your own idea in how they are in comparison, then I’ll explain my ideas how they compare.....

Last edited by Dontaskme on Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Support your opinion with evidence from Sri Nisargadatta.

That's the rule.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Walker wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:37 pm Support your opinion with evidence from Sri Nisargadatta.

That's the rule.
You said...''Thanks DAM. How do you ... or anyone ... think that last quote compares or contrasts with Descartes’, “I think, therefore I am,” if that is the proper translation.''

To which I replied saying they are in complete harmony by contrast.

You didn't say ..''Support your opinion with evidence from Sri Nisargadatta.''

So now where are we going with this Walker? :roll:

You have to be more specific with what you want Walker, I can respect what you want, but you have to tell me in the moment, not 3 million years later... :wink:
Walker

Post by Walker »

I also wrote this:

https://forum.philosophynow.org/viewtop ... 30#p356675

Anything you do in life should be situationally appropriate, or else they might lock you up.

What is situationally appropriate here, in a thread about Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj, is to relate topics to his thoughts, per the title.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Walker wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:27 pm
"Uneducated though the Master is, his conversation is enligh-
tened to an extraordinary degree. Though born and brought up in
poverty, he is the richest of the rich, for he has the limitless wealth
of perennial knowledge, compared to which the most fabulous
treasures are mere tinsel. He is warm-hearted and tender,
shrewdly humorous, absolutely fearless and absolutely true —
inspiring, guiding and supporting all who come to him."

- ibid
Walker, the thing is..life is extraordinarily intelligent, we just need to tap into it's power which is our own power reflected back at us. We need to know which direction to look and not be looking down the wrong end of the telescope.

Also, the people that have designed air planes and brain surgery, and all the rest of modern technology including all the beautiful architecture that is our buildings and other structures such as bridges and motorways etc...all the skill gone into making this planet fit for human habitation and all the pleasure that brings is all of the intelligent consciousness ...it's all brilliance of the original genius...that doesn't claim any of the brilliance.