Mind-reading robot

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

Mind-reading robot

Post by Walker »

A robot reading your mind means that thoughts are physical.
Doesn’t it?

Science recognizes the principle.

The future is now about refining the recognition of the robot,
and refining the receptors to wireless.

Mind-Reading Robot Can Tell From Your Brainwaves When It's Made A Mistake
https://www.forbes.com/sites/janetwburn ... acbe432280
commonsense

Re: Mind-reading robot

Post by commonsense »

Holy shit!!!
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

This could be really big.

I'd like to be certain that CSAIL/MIT cannot be mistaken about a robotic feedback system that can read human thoughts.

“Our robots may have eyes, but it’s the embedded cameras that give them their vision. With no additional hardware, software or integration costs, the robot can perform complex vision tasks. Or in-house vision systems can be seamlessly integrated.” *

This raises questions, e.g.:
How was the robot prevented from reading facial expressions from the human participant?
Were there other confounding factors that needed to be controlled?

I've contacted CSAIL re these questions. Awaiting reply.

* From Rethink Robotics, manufacturer of Baxter (mind-reading robot) (an industrial/factory type robot) http://www.rethinkrobotics.com/smart-co ... ifference/ (accessed 4/6/2018 @ 3:37 pm CST)
Walker

Post by Walker »

commonsense wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:22 pm Holy shit!!!
Do you think that anything other than the physical, exists?
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

facebook has been reading your thoughts for years

-Imp
Walker

Post by Walker »

Impenitent wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:52 pm facebook has been reading your thoughts for years

-Imp
I assumed they were just reading patterns.

I lack experience in this thing you call, facebook.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Walker wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:49 amA robot reading your mind means that thoughts are physical. Doesn’t it?

The future is now about refining the recognition of the robot, and refining the receptors to wireless.
One side of what is a multi-faceted concept would describe thoughts as dynamic patterns of neuronal operation. Different thoughts produce different patterns and neuroscientists are working on matching thoughts and patterns.
Noax

Post by Noax »

Walker wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:49 am A robot reading your mind means that thoughts are physical.
Doesn’t it?
It just means that thoughts have a physical effect, and the machine is measuring that.
That's been known since we've noticed that my arm moves when I will it so. Doesn't take a robot to detect it.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Noax wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:09 am
Walker wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:49 am A robot reading your mind means that thoughts are physical.
Doesn’t it?
It just means that thoughts have a physical effect, and the machine is measuring that.
That's been known since we've noticed that my arm moves when I will it so. Doesn't take a robot to detect it.
So, your arm moves, and the robot can detect that your arm moves.

That sounds like nothing more than a motion sensor.
Noax

Post by Noax »

Walker wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:54 am So, your arm moves, and the robot can detect that your arm moves.

That sounds like nothing more than a motion sensor.
It is no more proof that thoughts are physical than a motion sensor, yes.

The 'mind-reader' they're talking about doesn't detect motion, but it has been around a while, and is sold in toy stores, where you can control some device with only thoughts. Hardly remarkable news then that they've programmed it to be sensitive to your reaction to a mistake.
Walker

Post by Walker »

No kidding.

Blood from a stone.
SteveKlinko

Post by SteveKlinko »

Doesn’t it?

The future is now about refining the recognition of the robot,
and refining the receptors to wireless.

Mind-Reading Robot Can Tell From Your Brainwaves When It's Made A Mistake
https://www.forbes.com/sites/janetwburn ... acbe432280
The whole concept of Thoughts is too general a thing to start with. I start with the Conscious experience of the color Red. We know that there is specific Neural Activity for Red that happens when we have a Red experience. Humans do not experience the Red Neural Activity but rather they have a Conscious experience of Red. This Conscious Red experience is a further stage in the Visual Process. The Conscious Red experience is a Surrogate for the Neural Activity. A Machine can only detect the Red Neural Activity, but it has no way to compute what the Conscious Red experience is like. We do not know how to design a Machine that has actual Conscious experiences. Machines can determine a lot about what a Human might be thinking by measuring Neural Activity but without the ability to measure the Conscious experience the Machine will be missing the most important part.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

SteveKlinko wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 2:16 pm Machines can determine a lot about what a Human might be thinking by measuring Neural Activity but without the ability to measure the Conscious experience the Machine will be missing the most important part.
Yes, the qualia.