Philosophy of Mind

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

thedoc

Re: Philosophy of Mind

Post by thedoc »

Darkstar wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:20 pm Some people believe that the brain acts like a radio receiver - that consciousness is a 'field' - an external and eternally existing source available for reception by plants and animals provided your 'radio set' is good enough and tuned in.
If my brain is a radio receiver why can't I pick up my favorite radio station, or is that why certain songs get stuck in my head when I don't want it to.
Last edited by thedoc on Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Darkstar wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:20 pm Now that women are opting more and more for C-section births, the brain does not have to go through the birth canal. Maybe we will evolve into large brained creatures that can only be born by C-section and our consciousness will be further enhanced. We will then see the mind of God (or just boring old loop quantum gravity).
Are women really opting for more C-Sections, or are doctors recommending it, Or is this just a figment of your over active imagination. Where are the statistics to back up your statement
Walker

Post by Walker »

thedoc wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:31 am
Darkstar wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:20 pm Some people believe that the brain acts like a radio receiver - that consciousness is a 'field' - an external and eternally existing source available for reception by plants and animals provided your 'radio set' is good enough and tuned in.
If my brain is a radio receiver why can't I pick up my favorite radio station, or is that why certain songs get stuck in my head when I don't want it to.
Ear worms, from the German.
Lucy Caxton Brown

Post by Lucy Caxton Brown »

I believe the mind is connected to the soul, survives death, and operates through the mind and brain! The mind is very very clever! It is time for humanity to open the shut palaces of the mind. Meditation is the key along with correct breathing techniques. The mind remembers everything of course , including previous lives and experiences on the Astral Plain. People who experience Astral travel and Out of Body experiences or have near death experience all report similar occurrences. That is because the mind, our mind remains conscious throughout the journey into the after-life. This is what I believe having read many books of the subject and I have also written about such experiences too. I think that we do not have too much time to understand everything before the robots take over or the world is ruined . This is my humble opinion and I do not profess to be an expert on the subject but I have had many personal experiences and God willing I wish to learn much more that is why I have joined this auspicious site.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Mind events always correlate with brain events.

' Mind ' is usually conceptualised as waking awareness, although some people include dreams and hallucinations as mind events.

Dreams and hallucinations always correlate with brain events.

Awarely waking events always correlate with brain events.

Philosophy of Mind is a branch of philosophy that has become smaller since the advent of modern neuroscience.
henry quirk

"Mind events always correlate with brain events."

Post by henry quirk »

Mebbe, but I don't know this as a fact.

Neither do you.
Last edited by henry quirk on Wed May 01, 2019 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

I don't know if I'd mind eating correlated brains...

-Imp
PeteJ

Post by PeteJ »

Belinda wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 8:52 pm Philosophy of Mind is a branch of philosophy that has become smaller since the advent of modern neuroscience.
I think what you mean is that some neuroscientists think this. It remains for them to prove it.
Belinda

Re: "Mind events always correlate with brain events."

Post by Belinda »

henry quirk wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:10 pm Mebbe, but I don't know this as a fact.

Neither do you.
True. However we all have to believe something or we would not get out of our beds in the morning. I choose my preferred ontological theory because I like science and I dislike old time religion
henry quirk

Me: I prefer common sense & reason, and where those come up short...

Post by henry quirk »

...I'm content to live with uncertainty.
Belinda

Re: Me: I prefer common sense & reason, and where those come up short...

Post by Belinda »

henry quirk wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:20 pm ...I'm content to live with uncertainty.
That too is a belief.
Belinda

Re: Me: I prefer common sense & reason, and where those come up short...

Post by Belinda »

Belinda wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:56 am
henry quirk wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:20 pm ...I'm content to live with uncertainty.
That too is a belief, a good one .
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Yes, it is.
SteveKlinko

Post by SteveKlinko »

Scientists can describe the Neural Activity that occurs in the Brain when we See. But they seem to be completely puzzled by the Conscious Visual experience that we have that is correlated with the Neural Activity. Incredibly, some even come to the conclusion that the Conscious experience is not even necessary! They can not find the Conscious experience in the Neurons so the experience must not have any function in the Visual process. They believe that the Neural Activity is sufficient for us to move around in the world without bumping into things. This is insane denial of the obvious purpose for Visual Consciousness. The Conscious Visual experience is the thing that allows us to move around in the world. Neural Activity is not enough. We would be blind without the Conscious Visual experience. The Conscious Visual experience contains vast amounts of information about the external world all packed up into a single thing.

Scientists should not disregard the Conscious Visual experience. It's just another type of Data that can be analyzed. We should call it Conscious Data. We use and analyze this Conscious Visual Data all the time without realizing it. For example when I reach for my coffee mug I have a Conscious Visual experience where I See my hand moving toward the coffee mug. If My hand is off track I sense this in the Conscious Visual experience and adjust the movement of my hand. If I did not have the Conscious Visual experience I would not be able to pick up my coffee mug, or at least it would be much more difficult with just Neural Activity. So the Conscious Visual experience is just Data that helps us interact with the world. This Conscious Visual Data is absolutely necessary for us to function. Similar arguments can be made for the Conscious Auditory experience, the Conscious Smell experience, the Conscious Taste experience, and the Conscious Touch experience. All these experiences are just a type of Data that our Conscious Minds can analyze.

But what really is that Conscious Visual Experience (CVE)? Nobody knows yet. That CVE seems to be embedded in the front of our faces. The CVE is composed of all the possible Colors depending on the Scene we are looking at. I like to narrow down the study of the CVE by concentrating on one color namely Red. We know that when certain Neurons fire that there will be a Red Experience in the CVE, but nobody knows how this happens. Furthermore, nobody even knows what that Red Experience is. I am talking about the Redness of the Red. That Redness is a Phenomenon of Conscious Experience. Science has Zero understanding of even this most simple Conscious Experience. So what is that Redness Experience?

Note that I chose Redness but Blueness, Greenness, or any other Color could have been chosen for study. Also, any aspect of the other Senses could be chosen for study. What is that Standard A toneness Experience? These Experiences all seem to exist in some Conscious Realm that I like to call Conscious Space.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Barbara Brooks wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:33 pm Rick,

What a feeling of oppression hovering over the philosophy of mind, with a post that is unmovable. I do not see this in other forums. Why is this?

BB
Mind over matter.

You can't move things with your mind, but you can make things unmovable with your mind.