Infanticide

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dontaskme

Re: Infanticide

Post by Dontaskme »

seeds wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:09 amBut that is not man “serving the universe,” as you so frequently assert. No, it is the universe serving man.
What if....Nick uses ''man'' as a description of ego?

The Ego is a veil between humans and God. ~Rumi
Of course, I'm sure Nick will verify this or not.

I don't know why, but I just can't help jumping to the the side of the fence that is Nick's posts.

I'm not in de fence, I'm both sides of de fence...at once...inside out, outside in... :P

Outside the in..and inside the out. :D

Or, AM I just the fence. :roll:

Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

SoB
Don't we create our own reality?
In our own minds! Some of which are megalomaniacal. Ignorance of self motivation, the psyche, still makes one ignorant. I'd say, even more so than most things. But then there are many that only know a world of ignorance! Though in truth it's never really blissful, rather seemingly so, while it lasts. Until the truth sets in, like an asteroid the size of texas.

They are both based on subjective values?
Nope mine is based upon grey matter not muscle fibres; Brain over brawn; Intellect over stupidity. I have a much greater grasp of the ever so much bigger picture.
This is where you go wrong IMO. You think ethics are governed by the intellect-we do what we think. No, ethical or moral actions originate with the heart.
People mistakenly assume that their thinking is done by their head; it is actually done by the heart which first dictates the conclusion, then commands the head to provide the reasoning that will defend it. Anthony de Mello
Nothing is sillier than listening to these intellectuals speaking about ethics and what we should do without any understanding that all their hypocrisy is the result of the ignorance of their heart.

Socrates disgreed with Cephalus, Polemarchus. And Thrasymachus on jutice for a very important reason:

https://www.bu.edu/wcp/Papers/Anci/AnciBhan.htm
Plato realises that all theories propounded by Cephalus, Thrasymachus and Glaucon, contained one common element. That one common element was that all the them treated justice as something external "an accomplishment, an importation, or a convention, they have, none of them carried it into the soul or considered it in the place of its habitation." Plato prove that justice does not depend upon a chance, convention or upon external force. It is the right condition of the human soul by the very nature of man when seen in the fullness of his environment. It is in this way that Plato condemned the position taken by Glaucon that justice is something which is external. According to Plato, it is internal as it resides in the human soul. "It is now regarded as an inward grace and its understanding is shown to involve a study of the inner man." It is, therefore, natural and no artificial. It is therefore, not born of fear of the weak but of the longing of the human soul to do a duty according to its nature.
You seem to assert that values like respect for life have an external origin and the result of thought. What if Plato is right and that eternal values have an internal origin and just the desire of the soul to do what is natural for it? It just means that the human condition has made it impossible for us to be normal. The big picture then is what it requires for us to become normal. Plato defined Man as “a being in search of meaning.” Can we really experience objective meaning and the values which reflect it without first becoming normal? It seems that for collective man, what we have become can only produce collective hypocrisy regardless of the most wonderful speeches.
seeds

Post by seeds »

Nick_A wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:09 am As I've said, the purpose of organic life on earth is to transform substances by the functioning of it bodily processes and this transformation primarily serves the earth.

What do you believe the purpose of organic life on earth is?
The ultimate purpose of organic life on earth is to steadily evolve to a point where the essence of life - imbued within the fabric of matter itself - can reach the human level of consciousness.

Because once the organic life on earth awakens into the human level of consciousness...

(thus forming what some call a “soul,” but what I call an embryo or “seed” of God)

...it is then capable (via physical death) of transcending the organic processes taking place on earth, wherein the transformation of earthly substances will no longer be required to sustain its existence.

And although the means (i.e., the transformation of substances) are crucial to achieving that purpose, they (the means) do not represent the “purpose” of organic life itself.
_______
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Seeds
The ultimate purpose of organic life on earth is to steadily evolve to a point where the essence of life - imbued within the fabric of matter itself - can reach the human level of consciousness.
The fact that I have a different foundation isn’t being critical of yours. It is just that it answers my questions.

That being the case, human consciousness doesn’t arise on earth as does animal consciousness. The earth is evolving but only very slowly for our conception of time.

Imagine the great universal cycle of involution and evolution as the cycle of our blood circulation. Our body is nourished and maintained by this cycle as is the universal living machine maintained by the life cycles of involution and evolution.

Life on earth is a very tiny fraction of this great universal cycle. Life can only evolve and return to its origin. A dog returns to its origin and its essence becomes part of the regeneration of the species. It doesn’t become a conscious being. Man is dual natured. Animal man is a product of the earth while Man’s higher conscious parts involved down to the earth from above. Consequently Man as opposed to the dog has the potential for conscious evolution and the return to its origin.
And although the means (i.e., the transformation of substances) are crucial to achieving that purpose, they (the means) do not represent the “purpose” of organic life itself.
But if a worm has reached the potential of its being and cannot be other than a worm, what other objective purpose can a worm serve other than the mechanical transformation of substances? It is the same with animal man that governs our lives. It is a product of the earth so returns to the earth.

Man contains the seed of a soul but its maturity into the New Man as a species is far from assured. In fact it is more probable that our species will be destroyed along with seeds of the soul.
seeds

Post by seeds »

seeds wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:09 am But that is not man “serving the universe,” as you so frequently assert. No, it is the universe serving man.
Dontaskme wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:09 pm What if....Nick uses ''man'' as a description of ego?
Dam, in case you haven’t noticed, Nick is the purveyor of one of the most elitist and restricted religious concepts I have ever encountered.

Couched within the sheepskin of his spiritualistic rhetoric is his wolfish assertion that the vast majority of the estimated 107 billion human souls who have awakened into life on earth are doomed to eternal oblivion due to their inability to reach some sort of “cosmic man” status.

You need to pay closer attention to what he himself actually believes, and not be fooled by the obfuscating details of his presentation.
Dontaskme wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:09 pm I don't know why, but I just can't help jumping to the the side of the fence that is Nick's posts.
I too have often sided with Nick, for I believe he has a good heart and noble intentions in the battle against materialism.

However, as the old saying goes, one must “beware of false prophets.”
_______
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

seeds wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:21 am Dam, in case you haven’t noticed, Nick is the purveyor of one of the most elitist and restricted religious concepts I have ever encountered.
I hadn't noticed that, I wasn't even looking for that, I wouldn't even dream of thinking and accusing anything like that.
seeds wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:21 amCouched within the sheepskin of his spiritualistic rhetoric is his wolfish assertion that the vast majority of the estimated 107 billion human souls who have awakened into life on earth are doomed to eternal oblivion due to their inability to reach some sort of “cosmic man” status.
I hadn't noticed that, I wasn't even looking for that, I wouldn't even dream of thinking and accusing anything like that.

As far I see, I see Nick discussing the Plato's Cave analogy...which is a pretty accurate description of the human condition in my opinion, because I've been in that cave myself at one point of my life. So my understanding is from experience.
seeds wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:21 amYou need to pay closer attention to what he himself actually believes, and not be fooled by the obfuscating details of his presentation.
I don't think paying more attention will change how I see Nick's message...I don't know or even care what he believes, he has the right to believe what he wants...just as you believe what you want. I simply resonate, and that's it.

seeds wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:21 amI too have often sided with Nick, for I believe he has a good heart and noble intentions in the battle against materialism.

_______
I side with most people, but sometimes I jump sides in order to play each role....sometimes I side with the higher self self and sometimes I jump over to the other side of the fence to side with the lower self self....I side with you seeds as well, you have great insights to offer.

I don't believe in false prophets, I believe we are already holders of truth, we are truth, it's closer to us than our very own skin.

Nick has never once spoken down to me or ridiculed anything I have ever said about anything...I have no personal character judgement to make about the character that is Nick..I respond only to the message.

We all carry truth within us...our deliveries of that truth may differ that's all...but calling out character traits is not my idea of fun because life is precious to me...I do however like to hold up a mirror to people who project their own feelings and thoughts on to me...and there's is nothing wrong with that..it's healthy to show that to another to help them to see the error of their ways that they are themselves blind to.

Last edited by Dontaskme on Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Nick_A wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:45 amYou still haven't explained what is wrong with infanticide if there are no eternal values.
Dubious wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:32 amInfanticide should be one of your eternal values being fully accepted, found perfectly reasonable and completely justified by Plato himself, one of your chief enlightenment gurus and expounder of Eternal Values. Explain that!

To quote Will Durant:

Plato will call for the exposure of all feeble children and of those born of base or elderly parents.

Why is it EVERYONE thinks you're a complete mental screw-up...except one who has the same "cultist" mentality as you.
Nick_A wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:45 amIf you would think as good as you emote you may discover an important question. How does respecting survival of the fittest as a natural value relate to respect for life as an eternal value? Let's see how you can complain that away for the safety of avoiding contemplation.
Why ask me? You would have to find reasons in Plato who defended infanticide as a function of eugenics (survival of the fittest) as a societal necessity to keep it balanced and healthy. I think it’s logical to conclude that if he respected life as anything approaching an “eternal value”, he would have reconsidered abandoning neonates in an earthen vessel to die of exposure or picked up by anybody who wanted it. He’s your master of eternal values, not mine. I only subscribe to the eternal validity, not value, of the following as given by Heraclitus…

There is nothing permanent except change.

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

As unchangeable fact, these quotes cannot be qualified as eternal values because describing such in terms of “eternal” is a stupid contradiction coming from a diseased solipsistic brain since ALL values, and their degrees of significance, are predetermined by an evaluator whose length of days compose a considerably smaller number when compared to eternity. Eternal values, a phrase you use so prolifically, is the ultimate oxymoron to establish your cracked cultist views. It's your type, among others, that cause major miseries to a group if ever given the power.

Btw, I don't avoid contemplation anywhere near as much as you avoid sanity!
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Dubious wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:41 am
As unchangeable fact, these quotes cannot be qualified as eternal values because describing such in terms of “eternal” is a stupid contradiction coming from a diseased solipsistic brain since ALL values, and their degrees of significance, are predetermined by an evaluator whose length of days compose a considerably smaller number when compared to eternity. Eternal values, a phrase you use so prolifically, is the ultimate oxymoron to establish your cracked cultist views. It's your type, among others, that cause major miseries to a group if ever given the power.

But you don't seem to understand...there is only infinity for eternity in which the finite happens infinitely.

Do you not understand that? this is so simple a child can understand it...a child is it up until it has the stuffing knocked out of it by the misidentified mind...then it becomes a nervous wreck in search for itself again..

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.
Do you even know what this means?

Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

seeds wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:21 am
seeds wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:09 am But that is not man “serving the universe,” as you so frequently assert. No, it is the universe serving man.
Dontaskme wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:09 pm What if....Nick uses ''man'' as a description of ego?
Dam, in case you haven’t noticed, Nick is the purveyor of one of the most elitist and restricted religious concepts I have ever encountered.

Couched within the sheepskin of his spiritualistic rhetoric is his wolfish assertion that the vast majority of the estimated 107 billion human souls who have awakened into life on earth are doomed to eternal oblivion due to their inability to reach some sort of “cosmic man” status.

You need to pay closer attention to what he himself actually believes, and not be fooled by the obfuscating details of his presentation.
Dontaskme wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:09 pm I don't know why, but I just can't help jumping to the the side of the fence that is Nick's posts.
I too have often sided with Nick, for I believe he has a good heart and noble intentions in the battle against materialism.

_______

It is only your egoism that believes that the seed of the soul of man is the only seed worthy of maturity. It doesn’t matter that all other seeds in nature are not guaranteed maturity but more often than not just serve as food for creatures or food for the soil

John 12:
23 Jesus replied, “The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified. 24 Very truly I tell you, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds. 25 Anyone who loves their life will lose it, while anyone who hates their life in this world will keep it for eternal life.
The kernel of wheat refers to the seed of the soul

Matthew 16:26
What good will it be for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul?
Obviously there are two possibilities. Yet Seeds considers this awareness the height of elitism. It is amazing how often common sense is considered elitism.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Dubious wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:41 am
Nick_A wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:45 amYou still haven't explained what is wrong with infanticide if there are no eternal values.
Dubious wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:32 amInfanticide should be one of your eternal values being fully accepted, found perfectly reasonable and completely justified by Plato himself, one of your chief enlightenment gurus and expounder of Eternal Values. Explain that!

To quote Will Durant:

Plato will call for the exposure of all feeble children and of those born of base or elderly parents.

Why is it EVERYONE thinks you're a complete mental screw-up...except one who has the same "cultist" mentality as you.
Why ask me? You would have to find reasons in Plato who defended infanticide as a function of eugenics (survival of the fittest) as a societal necessity to keep it balanced and healthy. I think it’s logical to conclude that if he respected life as anything approaching an “eternal value”, he would have reconsidered abandoning neonates in an earthen vessel to die of exposure or picked up by anybody who wanted it. He’s your master of eternal values, not mine. I only subscribe to the eternal validity, not value, of the following as given by Heraclitus…

The smoke clears and we learn that you don't know what respect for life means. Also you don't appreciate how the eternal unchanging and the universe in eternal change isn't a contradiction.

Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Nick_A wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:01 pm
Yet Seeds considers this awareness the height of elitism. It is amazing how often common sense is considered elitism.
Yeah, I for one was actually quite shocked to hear that.

I suppose when the concept ''religion'' takes hold of the mind, all sensibility flies out of the window,

Religion being a way of controlling the masses is no different to the power that be's the ruling elite...who ever THEY are.

Come on seeds, what are you talking about now?
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Nick_A wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:22 pm
The smoke clears and we learn that you don't know what respect for life means. Also you don't appreciate how the eternal unchanging and the universe in eternal change isn't a contradiction.
You really have no answer for arguments presented, do you? What is it that never changes in all eternity? Anyways, I respect life enough not to put infants in jars to die of exposure unlike your hero of eternal values...and I wouldn't do it to ANY animal either if I want to avoid being conscience clobbered. Even Aristotle preferred abortion to infanticide!

In fairness to the ancients, they had their customs which to them seemed logical and very practical but to us criminal in the extreme. History is what it is! The Spartans, whom Plato admired, were even worse in their practice of infanticide and their treatment of boys who couldn't quite live up to the military training they were all subject to by the state starting age seven. Nevertheless it was agreed among the Greeks that the Spartans were the best looking among them!

It would seem grotesque and outright preposterous to Plato or any of the Greeks and Romans to regard life as sacred and even more irrational to acknowledge it as an eternal value. If you're as good in understanding Simone as you are of Plato then what follows are just your brain-dead distortions of them. Those you incessantly quote have no affiliation with your oxygen-starved interpretations of them often amounting to caricature!
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Dontaskme wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:48 pm
But you don't seem to understand...there is only infinity for eternity in which the finite happens infinitely.

Do you not understand that?
...if I understood that, I’d voluntarily enroll myself into a lunatic asylum. The only thing I would know for sure, even under those circumstances, is that it’s only temporary.

Hopefully not the way you do!
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Dubious wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:31 am
Dontaskme wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:48 pm

Do you not understand that?
...if I understood that, I’d voluntarily enroll myself into a lunatic asylum. The only thing I would know for sure, even under those circumstances, is that it’s only temporary.
How would you know what the concept ''temporary'' means ?

Please explain, instead of just pronouncing the the concept as if you already know what it means. Tell the others what it means?
And then when you've done that, we can move on to the next phase of understanding what it means.

Dubious wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:31 amHopefully not the way you do!
Then please explain what it means to you..it's no good just saying, my way is not your way...that's like saying it's my way or the highway...how are we ever going to agree on anything with that mentality?

What does it mean to you...please explain, if you do not explain, then I assume you just like to put quotes out there pretending to know what they mean, but in truth you have no idea what it means except your own interpretation of what it means...so lets hear it?

You have to let others know what you are talking about, else you are only doing what you accuse the mystics of doing?

Never be afraid of being wrong, since it is impossible to be wrong, the truth is within you.

“If you continue in My word, you are truly My disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” Jesus.

Do you believe the words of Jesus, the word in the flesh?

In other words do you believe your own words?

Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Dubious wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:20 am
Nick_A wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:22 pm
You really have no answer for arguments presented, do you? What is it that never changes in all eternity? Anyways, I respect life enough not to put infants in jars to die of exposure unlike your hero of eternal values...and I wouldn't do it to ANY animal either if I want to avoid being conscience clobbered. Even Aristotle preferred abortion to infanticide!

In fairness to the ancients, they had their customs which to them seemed logical and very practical but to us criminal in the extreme. History is what it is! The Spartans, whom Plato admired, were even worse in their practice of infanticide and their treatment of boys who couldn't quite live up to the military training they were all subject to by the state starting age seven. Nevertheless it was agreed among the Greeks that the Spartans were the best looking among them!

It would seem grotesque and outright preposterous to Plato or any of the Greeks and Romans to regard life as sacred and even more irrational to acknowledge it as an eternal value. If you're as good in understanding Simone as you are of Plato then what follows are just your brain-dead distortions of them. Those you incessantly quote have no affiliation with your oxygen-starved interpretations of them often amounting to caricature!
First of all we don't know what respect for life is any more than we know what life or justice are. We know that Plato believed in anamnesis or remembering what has been forgotten in relation to eternal values.

It is quite logical for society in those days to kill the weak and sick we would be able to heal now. From that point of view, keeping the population strong shows greater respect for life then lessening its collective quality. A bird shows natural respect for life by throwing the weak out of the nest.

Respect for life is an eternal value but we don't know what it is. All we know are subjective opinions of what eternal values are.

My intent for his thread was to primarily discuss infanticides of convenience. Does respect for life kill babies for convenience? It would seem anyone who feels the value of the entire cycle of life wouldn't put themselves in a position to kill a week old baby for convenience. Yet it happens. What does that say about the human condition?