Go to hell

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Go to hell

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Say you were God and you had to decide who goes to Heaven and who goes to Hell. What would be the deciding factor? What would be awaiting the people who were so sentenced?

PhilX 🇺🇸
Eodnhoj7

Re: Go to hell

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:45 pm Say you were God and you had to decide who goes to Heaven and who goes to Hell. What would be the deciding factor? What would be awaiting the people who were so sentenced?

PhilX 🇺🇸
The golden rule, if all people are children of God (multiple religions argue various degrees of this), and all people are extensions of each other and God, how they treat the other person is in all reality how they treat themself as a "god", hence they form their own judgement and reality to which they succumb...in these respects they form their own judgements and to seperate their own act of judgement from that of the Creator in not-entirely possible.

From this premise we are the one's who pass judgement on ourselves through the judgements we make.
Science Fan

Post by Science Fan »

I wouldn't send anyone to hell, despite the temptation of sending some people there, it would be unjust to do so. I'm not sure sending anyone to heaven would be any more just either. I would probably end up sending no one to either heaven or hell, because I would not be able to justify the placement.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

............................................................Image

henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

If I were God, there would be no Hell. I'd just obliterate the souls of those who didn't cut the mustard.

Seems kinder (and economical) to just make the crapsacks 'not be' rather than lock 'em up in an eternal torture chamber.
OuterLimits

Post by OuterLimits »

a god who would send people to hell permanently is a joke

that out of the way, it might be a worthwhile experience for everyone to spend a little time in hell now and then
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle wrote two novels about Hell not as permanent destination but as waystation (kinda of a hardcore version of Catholic Purgatory).
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Bill Wiltrack wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:04 pm[knock, knock... it's Jesus...]
:lol: :lol:

I wouldn't send beings that I created to Hell. That's so bizarre and twisted. That would be like punishing animals for reacting from fear or instinct. It makes no sense.

I would, instead, provide Heavens to suit everyone... or if they wanted a wild thrill-ride experience, I'd let them seek it out and co-create it for themselves... but I wouldn't let them flounder or suffer or get lost. It would be so easy and fun! No reason it shouldn't be, if there was a kind and loving god.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

What happens if we created hell through our actions being premised on irrational want over rational need?

If a man wants to go to hell, why should God stop him? Would he be loving if he forced us to accept his love?
wtf

Post by wtf »

Eodnhoj7 wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:48 pm
If a man wants to go to hell, why should God stop him? Would he be loving if he forced us to accept his love?
Are you saying we need to take out a restraining order on God?
Reflex

Post by Reflex »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:45 pm Say you were God and you had to decide who goes to Heaven and who goes to Hell. What would be the deciding factor? What would be awaiting the people who were so sentenced?

PhilX 🇺🇸
1) Asking stupid questions like that.
2) Watching Oprah Winfrey for all eternity.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Reflex wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:24 pm

PhilX 🇺🇸
1) Asking stupid questions like that.
2) Watching Oprah Winfrey for all eternity.
Stupid questions don't exist.

PhilX 🇺🇸
wtf

Post by wtf »

Reflex wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:24 pm 2) Watching Oprah Winfrey for all eternity.
Haha just wait till she's president.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Lacewing wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:37 pmI wouldn't send beings that I created to Hell. That's so bizarre and twisted. That would be like punishing animals for reacting from fear or instinct. It makes no sense.

I would, instead, provide Heavens to suit everyone... or if they wanted a wild thrill-ride experience, I'd let them seek it out and co-create it for themselves... but I wouldn't let them flounder or suffer or get lost. It would be so easy and fun! No reason it shouldn't be, if there was a kind and loving god.
Yep. Besides, look at the news - for many, Hell is on Earth. Further, as we age, Hell may find all of us for a while as our bodies and/or minds break down and loved ones pass away. How much Hell is enough punishment for being an inherently flawed biological entity?

Hell - pain and suffering - is basically the impact of chaos and entropy on life forms capable of feeling deeply (which ones we're unsure, although neuroscience is always adding to that list). If there is any kind of deity it will entirely understand every one of our motives in life, seeing the chains of causation reaching back through the generations and the environments that ancestors found themselves in. The only possible responses to this are either indifference or unconditional love, maybe a blend of each.

Another issue is whether something that is universe-sized and billions of years old would even notice entities of our scale and lifespan. After all, we don't much notice our microbes to which we are essentially something between a world and a deity. Then again, if each mind is a small fragment of the "mind of God/the universe", then it would notice everything, in which case we need not worry because all of our reasons and excuses would be be known. Other humans will always misunderstand due to the opacity of our minds. However, deities by definition are not human.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

PhilX 🇺🇸
send those that sinned in this life to Hell.

to be punished for a time in proportion to the offence/s, then after time served (like the jails in this realm) - release them to go to "Heaven" or wherever.

assuming there is freewill for/of/by the dead, any that sin in Heaven (after being granted it via moral their conduct as mortals), go to Hell for a time and serve the sentence in proportion of their offence.

and so many that go to Hell/Heaven - via their actions as freewill spirits will sin and move to and fro both realms in proportion to their sins...............................into infinate time i assume.

that would be my view of a "just God" and what i'd do it i were God.

and yes if I as God sinned - i send myself to Hell to serve the just sentence per my offense.