Jewish Bloodline?

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Eodnhoj7

Jewish Bloodline?

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Delving into family history I have found that I come from a largely Jewish background, most likely Polish and/or Austrian Jew. Some debate that Jewish heritage is a blood line, other's strictly cultural.

So is it a blood line or cultural heritage? I have my opinions already, but thoughts?
Greta

Re: Jewish Bloodline?

Post by Greta »

Eodnhoj7 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:10 am Delving into family history I have found that I come from a largely Jewish background, most likely Polish and/or Austrian Jew. Some debate that Jewish heritage is a blood line, other's strictly cultural.

So is it a blood line or cultural heritage? I have my opinions already, but thoughts?
I have much Jew in me too, though I was christened and raised C of E. I was not confirmed C of E because by my teens I no longer believed. It's all just academic to me, not part of my life.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Greta wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:32 am
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:10 am Delving into family history I have found that I come from a largely Jewish background, most likely Polish and/or Austrian Jew. Some debate that Jewish heritage is a blood line, other's strictly cultural.

I have much Jew in me too, though I was christened and raised C of E. I was not confirmed C of E because by my teens I no longer believed. It's all just academic to me, not part of my life.
Did your family consider it a blood-line or strictly cultural?
Greta

Post by Greta »

Eodnhoj7 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:34 am

It depends on the members. Dad had little to do with it, being anomalously christened C of E because to be a young Jew in Vienna in the 20s and 30s was hazardous. I don't think the family were much into the whole Jewish thing, aside from life event rituals. So Dad, the Jewish C of E married a Catholic in a registry office. Some of my cousins are bona fide Jewish (Dad's elder half sister was fully Jewish) and they would at least hold a modicum of the cultural side.

As for me, I see myself as entirely secular although I was quite keen on Buddhism in my 20s :)
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Greta wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:46 am
It depends on the members. Dad had little to do with it, being anomalously christened C of E because to be a young Jew in Vienna in the 20s and 30s was hazardous. I don't think the family were much into the whole Jewish thing, aside from life event rituals. So Dad, the Jewish C of E married a Catholic in a registry office. Some of my cousins are bona fide Jewish (Dad's elder half sister was fully Jewish) and they would at least hold a modicum of the cultural side.

I was given the impression similar circumstance occurred within the family tree due to political issues. Apparently I had a distant cousin sent to Siberia over an attempted coup or anti-establishment view.

As for me, I see myself as entirely secular although I was quite keen on Buddhism in my 20s :)
I view myself as just a mortal man :) at this point.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Eodnhoj7 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:55 am

I was given the impression similar circumstance occurred within the family tree due to political issues. Apparently I had a distant cousin sent to Siberia over an attempted coup or anti-establishment view.

Exactly. Just humans, intelligent animals and Earthlings. We all have our tribes but it seems trite in the face of increasingly connected global systems.

Good to see your family has a proud history of anti-establishment behaviour :) Apparently a couple of Polish cousins of mine ended up in the gas chamber. Earlier this century I lived in a block of flats where the caretaker was an elderly WWII Nazi. Before he knew my background he told me a joke: What is a difference between a pie and a Jew? A pie doesn't scream when you put it in the oven. I just flatly told him that it wasn't funny and he shuffled off.

Some time later he had a few of the people from the flats over at his place for a meal. At one point while he was in the kitchen I mentioned to one of the others about my Jewish background and the others are telling me to keep quiet lest the Nazi fellow hears. So I said in loudly, "I DON'T GIVE A FUCK WHO KNOWS THAT I'M PART JEWISH". The sight of them cringeing at this was hilarious. Mr Nazi never said a thing and he remained exactly the same with me since. In truth, the old letch simply liked my boobs more than he disliked my background :lol:
-1-

Post by -1- »

The thing about Jewish jokes is that they, told by a Nazi, entices anger among Jews, and told by a Jew, makes it knee-slapping hilarious for them.

I don't know if this same applies to the Black community in North America.

I know that Canadians from Newfoundland like Newfie jokes told by anyone.

Rednecks don't see the difference between reality and a redneck joke. So they don't laugh, but they don't get angry, either.

Blonde jokes... I won't go there.

You never hear any Irish jokes any more. The totally went out style. Pfff, they fizzed out of existence.

I don't know how Gypsy jokes are tolerated in Hungary by Gypsies. All I know is, that since my niece and her husband, who live in Budapest, adopted a Gypsy baby, nobody says any jokes about the Roma. I often have to bite my tongue when I visit family there.

A cardinal approaches pope, and says, "Your Holiness, I just heard a really good joke, and I will burst if I don't say it to someone. Please, allow me to recite to you." The pope graciously permits him. "So, you see, your Holiness, these two Polaks are walking down the street, and ..."

The pope silences him up with a wave of his hand. "Cardinal," he says, "You seem to forget that I am also Polish." (This joke goes back a bit.)

The cardinal gets redder in the face in shame than his capedli, he shudders and stutters in his embarrassment, finally says, "Your Holiness, I beg your thousand pardons. So let me start all over. Two... Polaks... are... waking... down... the... street, and..."
-1-

Post by -1- »

Greta wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:45 pmMr Nazi never said a thing and he remained exactly the same with me since. In truth, the old letch simply liked my boobs more than he disliked my background :lol:
I am well familiar with the part of anatomy described in laymen's terms as "boob".

But what part of the female anatomy is "background"?

I shan't even venture to guess. Although potential probabilities of matching the name with parts exist.

d-: :D
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

To be a Jew is just to be born a Jew or to convert to Judaism.

To be Jewish is to believe the beliefs, carry-on the traditions, repeat the stories, sing the songs, dance the dances, eat the food, have knowledge of the history and speak, or at least have knowledge of, Hebrew and Yiddish.

This distinction allows that there are non-practicing Jews, or non-Jewish Jews.

Shalom Alechem
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Greta wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:45 pm
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:55 am

Exactly. Just humans, intelligent animals and Earthlings. We all have our tribes but it seems trite in the face of increasingly connected global systems.

Good to see your family has a proud history of anti-establishment behaviour :) Apparently a couple of Polish cousins of mine ended up in the gas chamber. Earlier this century I lived in a block of flats where the caretaker was an elderly WWII Nazi. Before he knew my background he told me a joke: What is a difference between a pie and a Jew? A pie doesn't scream when you put it in the oven. I just flatly told him that it wasn't funny and he shuffled off.

Some time later he had a few of the people from the flats over at his place for a meal. At one point while he was in the kitchen I mentioned to one of the others about my Jewish background and the others are telling me to keep quiet lest the Nazi fellow hears. So I said in loudly, "I DON'T GIVE A FUCK WHO KNOWS THAT I'M PART JEWISH". The sight of them cringeing at this was hilarious. Mr Nazi never said a thing and he remained exactly the same with me since. In truth, the old letch simply liked my boobs more than he disliked my background :lol:
I just bring up the holocaust whenever I hear about white-guilt and slavery. Add the fact that many of my distant cousins probably went through Holodimir with Stalin, and the whole race issue usually ends their.

I milk the jewish thing for what I can, I can use racial slurs wherever I want, simply because of my ancestry. I am thinking about carrying a star of david card around in my wallet for a joke, so whenever I get in trouble, which is often, I will just pull it out and say "jew"...then accuse them of anti-Semitism. I would like to try it to see if it can get me out of speeding ticket.
Greta

Post by Greta »

commonsense wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:43 pm

To be Jewish is to believe the beliefs, carry-on the traditions, repeat the stories, sing the songs, dance the dances, eat the food, have knowledge of the history and speak, or at least have knowledge of, Hebrew and Yiddish.

Shalom Alechem
Alas, the Nazis of the Third Reich accepted this distinction. Certainly that's how I feel about it, and it came up in a recent genetic test too.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Eodnhoj7 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:15 pm
Greta wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:45 pm
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:55 amI view myself as just a mortal man :) at this point.

I just bring up the holocaust whenever I hear about white-guilt and slavery. Add the fact that many of my distant cousins probably went through Holodimir with Stalin, and the whole race issue usually ends their.

I milk the jewish thing for what I can, I can use racial slurs wherever I want, simply because of my ancestry. I am thinking about carrying a star of david card around in my wallet for a joke, so whenever I get in trouble, which is often, I will just pull it out and say "jew"...then accuse them of anti-Semitism. I would like to try it to see if it can get me out of speeding ticket.
That is advantage, as -1- also noticed. I can get away with making jokes about Jewishness with money which, if my family and their associates are any guide, have a solid basis in truth :)
-1-

Post by -1- »

commonsense wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:43 pm

Shalom Alechem
I asked my aunt, after being shown around in the Jewish community in Toronto by a Jewish friend, why does everyone accept you at face value as a Jew if you say you are Jewish, without any reservations? My aunt Boby replied without missing a beat, "because only a Jew would admit to being Jewish."

Yepp.

In North America Jewness has lost its diminutive edge. Many Jews are very rich (as are many Armenians, Turks, Zambezi, Swahilians, etc.) and that is the only or rather the best measure around here of worthiness to be a human. You are poor? You are a dog. Regardless of race, religion, marital status,j sex, gender, neither, health, or place of origin.

We are very democratic here. No discrimination, other than due to financial means, not so movie star-quality looks, smoking, and stinking.

A stinking pair of feet will get you out of any party you could attend.

But I digressed.

Actually, not too much.

The queen of the Netherlands wore a six-pointed yellow star in public places the day after Hitler invaded the lowlands.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Greta wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:00 pm
That is advantage, as -1- also noticed. I can get away with making jokes about Jewishness with money which, if my family and their associates are any guide, have a solid basis in truth :)

You and -1- are among many who take this as advantage. If it helps with joke-telling, then you've found a ready tool for humor.

A little background about Jewishness and money--it’s really only the Ashkenazic Jews (in eastern Europe) who were rich, and not the other sect, the Sephardim (initially in Spain and Portugal).

There was a stigma among Europeans about bankers (think, “Neither a borrower nor lender be.”), leaving Christian followers to avoid the financial industry altogether and to relegate banking to the Ashkenazim, who became wealthy as a result.

The Sephardim, on the other hand, were not known to be wealthy. So, the stereotype of wealthy Jews, funny or not, really only points to one of the two groups, although it is usually applied to all Jews.

:D
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

per the definition - i.e. since Judaism affirms conversion - Judaism is a religion.

anyone that believes YHWH is God is a Jew.

some will deny the above and insist Judaism is an Ethnicity - ignore them and assume they are wrong - until Rabbis deny conversion to their Faith (maybe some racist Rabbis who hate Arabs in Kyrate Arba(sp) do so - but that leaves out all the other Rabbis outside of the illegally ocuppied Westbank..............

so you common sense for your inquary.