Which senses should an artist utilize to create a masterpiece?

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Post Reply
Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 5628
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Which senses should an artist utilize to create a masterpiece?

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:20 pm

This is not a straightforward question, in part once you consider what a sense is.

PhilX 🇺🇸

User avatar
Eodnhoj7
Posts: 1978
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:18 am

Re: Which senses should an artist utilize to create a masterpiece?

Post by Eodnhoj7 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:04 am

Philosophy Explorer wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:20 pm
This is not a straightforward question, in part once you consider what a sense is.

PhilX 🇺🇸
Sixth, or what could be called intuition.

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 5628
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Re: Which senses should an artist utilize to create a masterpiece?

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:10 am

Sounds like a good way on getting started towards making a masterpiece. Are there any artists known for doing this?

PhilX 🇺🇸

User avatar
Eodnhoj7
Posts: 1978
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:18 am

Re: Which senses should an artist utilize to create a masterpiece?

Post by Eodnhoj7 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:18 am

Philosophy Explorer wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:10 am
Sounds like a good way on getting started towards making a masterpiece. Are there any artists known for doing this?

PhilX 🇺🇸
I am not well versed with the artistic community, but one of my favorite composers is a man by the name of Max Richter. He uses, what I call, an intuitive simplicity in his compositions. The reason I say this is that intuition, as a facet of deeper emotion, often relies on a simplification of the senses where a thing is observed as strictly "what it is" through this very same intuitive process.

A sixth sense is simultaneously a culmination of the all the senses and in a seperate respect a foundation for understanding them. With that as the premise sometimes it is best just to go with one's gut as the artistic process is a creative process. As a creative process it contains a primal simplicity. Simplicity as a foundation is the key to any artistic endeavor...at least I believe.



In regards to Max Richter's works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWYi_16Gaww

User avatar
-1-
Posts: 1751
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:08 am

Re: Which senses should an artist utilize to create a masterpiece?

Post by -1- » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:11 am

Those with a sixth sense, are artists.

Those with a seventh sense, are philosophers.

Those with an eighth of a sense, are mathematicians.

Those with a ninth sense are psychologists.

Those with ten cents are economists.

Those with an eleventh sense are priests or preachers, you know, ministers, flock leaders.

Those with a twelveth sense are insane.

User avatar
Eodnhoj7
Posts: 1978
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:18 am

Re: Which senses should an artist utilize to create a masterpiece?

Post by Eodnhoj7 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:15 am

-1- wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:11 am
Those with a sixth sense, are artists.

Those with a seventh sense, are philosophers.

Those with an eighth of a sense, are mathematicians.

Those with a ninth sense are psychologists.

Those with ten cents are economists.

Those with an eleventh sense are priests or preachers, you know, ministers, flock leaders.

Those with a twelveth sense are insane.
I have 1 sense, not understanding anything better than anyone else can. Considering 1 is the foundation for all number, does ignorance provide the foundations for the other senses?

User avatar
-1-
Posts: 1751
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:08 am

Re: Which senses should an artist utilize to create a masterpiece?

Post by -1- » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:04 am

Eodnhoj7 wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:15 am
I have 1 sense, not understanding anything better than anyone else can . Considering 1 is the foundation for all number, does ignorance provide the foundations for the other senses?
Understanding anything better than anyone else can? One either understands or one does not.

So you are right by definition.

RustyBert
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:25 pm

Re: Which senses should an artist utilize to create a masterpiece?

Post by RustyBert » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:26 pm

Philosophy Explorer wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:20 pm
This is not a straightforward question, in part once you consider what a sense is.

PhilX 🇺🇸
Smell is the way all artists create a masterpiece. Mozart was notorious for keeping bowls of sweet smelling fruit on his desk when he was composing. But in his last days his wife switched out the fruit with crap from their dog. The result was his Requiem, which was never finished.

User avatar
-1-
Posts: 1751
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:08 am

Re: Which senses should an artist utilize to create a masterpiece?

Post by -1- » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:21 pm

RustyBert wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:26 pm
Smell is the way all artists create a masterpiece. Mozart was notorious for keeping bowls of sweet smelling fruit on his desk when he was composing.
Goethe also smelled an overripe apple to gain inspiration when he was engaged in creative writing. Rheinhardt (Pronounce in English: Rain Hard) enjoyed the smell of freshly fallen rain on hot asphalt pavement. Johann Strauss had bouquets of flowers in his young but beautiful lover's hair when composing, and Beethoven was said to have enjoyed the smell of freshly-dug up earth when he was decomposing.

Dalek Prime
Posts: 4763
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 am
Location: Living in a tree with Polly.

Re: Which senses should an artist utilize to create a masterpiece?

Post by Dalek Prime » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:25 pm

-1- wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:11 am
Those with a sixth sense, are artists.

Those with a seventh sense, are philosophers.

Those with an eighth of a sense, are mathematicians.

Those with a ninth sense are psychologists.

Those with ten cents are economists.

Those with an eleventh sense are priests or preachers, you know, ministers, flock leaders.

Those with a twelveth sense are insane.
Then what's a person with good sense?

User avatar
-1-
Posts: 1751
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:08 am

Re: Which senses should an artist utilize to create a masterpiece?

Post by -1- » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:30 am

Dalek Prime wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:25 pm
-1- wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:11 am
Those with a sixth sense, are artists.

Those with a seventh sense, are philosophers.

Those with an eighth of a sense, are mathematicians.

Those with a ninth sense are psychologists.

Those with ten cents are economists.

Those with an eleventh sense are priests or preachers, you know, ministers, flock leaders.

Those with a twelveth sense are insane.
Then what's a person with good sense?
My stab to answer your question would be: All and/or any and/or and/or none of the above

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 4 guests