Verbal abuse and cyber-bullying on Philosophy Now forums

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Lacewing

Re: Verbal abuse and cyber-bullying on Philosophy Now forums

Post by Lacewing »

Nick_A wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:02 am You either believe we are connected to the same capabilities or you don’t. Which is it?
Nick, I believe that EVERYTHING is connected. Why wouldn't it be? In response to your claim that "only certain individuals are capable", I wanted to point out that we're all of the same stuff and connected to the same stuff. Throughout our lives, our abilities and awareness ebb and flow as a NATURAL process... it's not some static condition. There are not certain people who "have it" in some grand scheme of life while "others don't". That's ego talking... and it makes no sense. Anyone's awareness can shift at any moment. We are all plugged into the same source. Why wouldn't we be?

You seem intent on condemning people as static characters for the purposes of your black and white model... and I think that's manipulative and false.
Nick_A wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:02 am If we are all connected to the same capabilities, then secular progressive education would work and further cooperation based on this sameness. If we are not connected to the same capabilities, then cooperation is impossible and progressive secular education is destined to fail. Which is it?
Is black and white all that you know? Can you not see how completely contrived that is? "This or that... pick one." So foolish! You don't fucking know what the limits and possibilities are. It's not just "this or that".

The capabilities I'm talking about have nothing to do with thinking and being the same. Rather, anyone can draw from the capabilities that are available to all of us IF IT SERVES their diverse experience here. It would be totally inefficient for us all to be the same. We gather more information and awareness by being diverse. There is not one way of learning or seeing or living or being. Do you disagree?
Nick_A wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:02 am The Secular Intolerance thread which you participated in revealed how secular education seeks the destruction of the impulse towards eros in the young. This is the process of eliminating a sacred part of the young psych. It is spirit killing. Do you support spirit killing? That is what I mean by "needs to be eliminated."
What does that thread have to do with you falsely accusing me of wanting "chosen people to be eliminated"? How can I want them eliminated when I don't even subscribe to your funky interpretation? I don't have to agree with your interpretation of anything, Nick -- and your response to that is to call me a spirit killer. Don't you see what a mad man that makes you? You are defining things in a very particular way that leaves no room for broader thinking. That is not a characteristic of wisdom. As much as you seem to like to cast yourself in the light of wisdom, I think your manic, closed ideas continually reveal the opposite.
duszek

Post by duszek »

Greta wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:23 pm
duszek wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:14 pmI experiment with ways of reading books.
As a matter of interest, in what ways?
Example:
Alain Robbe-Grillet, "Le rendez-vous", written like a film.
I read one sentence or part of a sentence at a time and then walk around like doing pantomime or frozen spasmodic modern dance and repeat the text whispering or speaking not too loud and see how long it takes to grow weary and ready for more.
Au ralenti, im Zeitlupentempo, in extreme slow motion.
The mind gets a chance to speculate about everything for a long time and to be creative about it.
You can do it while doing other things, that way worries don´t get a chance to bother you because your mind is busy doing something interesting.
Greta

Post by Greta »

duszek wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:02 am
Greta wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:23 pm
duszek wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:14 pmI experiment with ways of reading books.
As a matter of interest, in what ways?
Example:
Alain Robbe-Grillet, "Le rendez-vous", written like a film.
I read one sentence or part of a sentence at a time and then walk around like doing pantomime or frozen spasmodic modern dance and repeat the text whispering or speaking not too loud and see how long it takes to grow weary and ready for more.
Au ralenti, im Zeitlupentempo, in extreme slow motion.
The mind gets a chance to speculate about everything for a long time and to be creative about it.
You can do it while doing other things, that way worries don´t get a chance to bother you because your mind is busy doing something interesting.
I can see how such an approach could stimulate novel thoughts. It reminds me a bit of the apple meditation, where one is supposed to observe the apple via all senses without eating it for a long time before tucking in. Apparently, after an hour of sniffing, feeling and generally sensing the first bite is apparently heavenly.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Lacewing
Nick, I believe that EVERYTHING is connected. Why wouldn't it be? In response to your claim that "only certain individuals are capable", I wanted to point out that we're all of the same stuff and connected to the same stuff. Throughout our lives, our abilities and awareness ebb and flow as a NATURAL process... it's not some static condition. There are not certain people who "have it" in some grand scheme of life while "others don't". That's ego talking... and it makes no sense. Anyone's awareness can shift at any moment. We are all plugged into the same source. Why wouldn't we be?
I agree that we are all connected. We are creatures of reaction responding in cycles to natural laws. It is as you say a NATURAL process. We are all ONE as creatures of reaction with the tendency to live in dreams as victims of psychological slavery. This is the Great Beast.

I refer to AWAKENING which isn’t a NATURAL process but rather a conscious process that gives the natural process human meaning and purpose. Consciousness doesn’t arise from the earth but rather has its source from higher levels of reality. If you appreciated what awakening means you would support those who oppose psychological slavery rather than support those who further metaphysical repression in the young. For you all the world is a natural stage between the realities of dust to dust. Some intuitively know that human being is more than just that of a reactive animal but is capable of awakening to conscious human meaning and purpose. As Jesus said, the world will hate them. Verbal abuse and cyber bullying is just a small symptom. Shakespeare understood.

As You Like It, Act II, Scene VII [All the world’s a stage]

William Shakespeare, 1564 – 1616

Jaques to Duke Senior

All the world’s a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances,
And one man in his time plays many parts,
His acts being seven ages. At first, the infant,
Mewling and puking in the nurse’s arms.
Then the whining schoolboy, with his satchel
And shining morning face, creeping like snail
Unwillingly to school. And then the lover,
Sighing like furnace, with a woeful ballad
Made to his mistress’ eyebrow. Then a soldier,
Full of strange oaths and bearded like the pard,
Jealous in honor, sudden and quick in quarrel,
Seeking the bubble reputation
Even in the cannon’s mouth. And then the justice,
In fair round belly with good capon lined,
With eyes severe and beard of formal cut,
Full of wise saws and modern instances;
And so he plays his part. The sixth age shifts
Into the lean and slippered pantaloon,
With spectacles on nose and pouch on side;
His youthful hose, well saved, a world too wide
For his shrunk shank, and his big manly voice,
Turning again toward childish treble, pipes
And whistles in his sound. Last scene of all,
That ends this strange eventful history,
Is second childishness and mere oblivion,
Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Nick_A wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:28 pm I agree that we are all connected. We are creatures of reaction responding in cycles to natural laws. It is as you say a NATURAL process. We are all ONE as creatures of reaction with the tendency to live in dreams as victims of psychological slavery. This is the Great Beast.

I refer to AWAKENING which isn’t a NATURAL process but rather a conscious process that gives the natural process human meaning and purpose. Consciousness doesn’t arise from the earth but rather has its source from higher levels of reality.
Do you think that we are ONLY of the Earth? Do you think that only physical Earth processes are natural? And are you saying that we are NOT made up from, and connected to, higher levels of reality? Why wouldn't all forms and rhythms of conscious and unconscious and sleep and awakened states be natural and accessible?

Why are you creating such a dark dreary reality and a Great Beast... rather than seeing and acknowledging the brilliance that radiates throughout all? You seem to confuse dense attributes as being the primary indicator of human potential (is that right?)... such that you are then "uniquely better" than that? So it's as if you're focusing on a swamp in order to make yourself and your platform divine in comparison to it. That is selective viewing to support a manipulated self-serving platform.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Lacewing wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:31 pm
Nick_A wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:28 pm I agree that we are all connected. We are creatures of reaction responding in cycles to natural laws. It is as you say a NATURAL process. We are all ONE as creatures of reaction with the tendency to live in dreams as victims of psychological slavery. This is the Great Beast.

I refer to AWAKENING which isn’t a NATURAL process but rather a conscious process that gives the natural process human meaning and purpose. Consciousness doesn’t arise from the earth but rather has its source from higher levels of reality.
Do you think that we are ONLY of the Earth? Do you think that only physical Earth processes are natural? And are you saying that we are NOT made up from, and connected to, higher levels of reality? Why wouldn't all forms and rhythms of conscious and unconscious and sleep and awakened states be natural and accessible?

Why are you creating such a dark dreary reality and a Great Beast... rather than seeing and acknowledging the brilliance that radiates throughout all? You seem to confuse dense attributes as being the primary indicator of human potential (is that right?)... such that you are then "uniquely better" than that? So it's as if you're focusing on a swamp in order to make yourself and your platform divine in comparison to it. That is selective viewing to support a manipulated self-serving platform.
In all fairness to Nick, while there are many good attributes to life both of us agree on...his observations that society resembles a meat grinder are correct in quite a few degrees...you have to admit this a "little" Lacewing...whether you like or dislike Nick is irrelevant.

This "Oneness" is being inverted into an artificial construct. "Oneness" is as much as a means as it is an end, and how we relate is more important then the end of the relation itself.

To change subject and intended audience:

I am all for cyber-bullying, because the only thing worse is censorship...the worst form of bullying. We are all adults, and this is just the internet... people disagree...so what?

People insult eachother...the only problem with that is the internet takes the fun and adrenaline out of it. Before mouthing off could get you into a fight...now...it is well.........yeah....hmmm....another opinion....1 of 7 billion.

We cannot even really enjoy the pleasures of love or hate without social media acting as some condom which protects us from reality. Perpetual birth control is not the way to go through life...and what and who we are as people are born from pure love and pure hate. Nothing is pure anymore, because it is polluted with a society whose self-righteousness stems from their ability to form an opinion or offer criticism.

The last thing we need to criticize is bullying because it is the only form of opinion their is...words are force, nothing more or less.

The problem occurs in that the only means of communication for many people is social media, this is the worse of the two problems.

People don't talk face to face anymore and when they do...well they don't....but if they do they rarely know what to do. How is this not worse, considering the silent treatment and social rejection are considered a punishment by many?

If anything the internet ruined bullying. Now I cannot defend myself, or even be the aggressor...I have to come up with some witty statement geared toward some sexually frustrated atheististic trans-whatever with an IQ of 5....and that is it. You know what it cost me? Nothing. No blood, no sweat, no tears, and barely an ounce of thought. What type of life is that? And we are calling "bullying" the issue? Grow up people.

I think we need more bullying because generally speaking, noone likes eachother, because noone knows eachother. It is the only honest thing to do. This is a generation of self-righteous hypocrites.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Lacewing
As I understand it, Man is dual natured. This means that the collective human essence has a lower animal part arising from the earth along with other animals and also a higher part capable of an active consciousness unlike reactive animal consciousness. Natural life reacts to universal laws. It is only consciousness that can lawfully alter the effects of universal laws and Man has the potential for becoming conscious.. Nature is beautiful. The question is if man is capable of becoming more than just a reacting animal following the cycles of natural mechanical life on earth

Conscious human potential is extraordinary. There is nothing dreary about it. What is this brilliance you refer to? Is it the source of verbal abuse and cyber Bullying? We live by hypocrisy. What is so brilliant about that? As altruistic as collective human reactions may seem on Monday, they can be equally atrocious on Wednesday. Do you call this brilliant?

I am just honest enough to admit the human condition as it exists in me and support those past and present open to consciously experiencing reality and whose effort awaken us to the value of conscious awareness as opposed to justifying psychological slavery which is the rage of the day.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Eodnhoj7 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:18 am In all fairness to Nick, while there are many good attributes to life both of us agree on...his observations that society resembles a meat grinder are correct in quite a few degrees...you have to admit this a "little" Lacewing
I am opposing Nick's extremism and narrow definitions, as well as the way he makes up false claims about people. He has accused me (and others) of all kinds of absurd and completely false characteristics, based on this "dark world" he likes to fester on. Yes, I do realize that societal beliefs and priorities, along with a lot of religion, and egos, and ignorance... can very much twist and destroy all kinds of things. But that's not all there is... and I'm challenging Nick to see more than just THAT... and to be more responsible/truthful with his accusations/claims.
Nick_A wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:26 am As I understand it...
Okay, Nick. As we know, we speak in different terms. To me, it doesn't make any sense at all that only one dark reality of primarily unaware beings exists in this vast Universe of magnificent creation and potential which is connected on so many levels. Why would such a vast Universe of magnificent creation and potential which is connected on so many levels be limited to some dense reality that you are focused on? That's just one perspective of so MANY! Like a crystal of many facets, when you shift your view you can see more reflections. All the definitions you make up and/or subscribe to are based on ONE view/potential/facet of MANY... and MANY are IN PLAY!
Nick_A wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:26 am What is this brilliance you refer to?
The magnificence of divine/cosmic creation and potential throughout all... in all its forms... from subtle to grand. It is breathtaking!
Nick_A wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:26 am Is it the source of verbal abuse and cyber Bullying?
Is it the source of your lies in what you accuse people of? All of it is creative potential, right? In all of its forms. Amazing what we can come up with. Will you ever appreciate it?
Nick_A wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:26 am I am just honest enough to admit the human condition as it exists in me and support those past and present open to consciously experiencing reality and whose effort awaken us to the value of conscious awareness as opposed to justifying psychological slavery which is the rage of the day.
I think a lot of people are like this... including myself. You seem intent on labeling all of us as spirit-killers though... which is your own spirit-killing behavior, whether you honestly realize it or not.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Eodnhoj7
I am all for cyber-bullying, because the only thing worse is censorship...the worst form of bullying. We are all adults, and this is just the internet... people disagree...so what?

People insult eachother...the only problem with that is the internet takes the fun and adrenaline out of it. Before mouthing off could get you into a fight...now...it is well.........yeah....hmmm....another opinion....1 of 7 billion.
If this is true, can we agree that philosophy expressed as the love of wisdom cannot be practiced publically. A Buddhist sangha demands mutual respect for Buddhism which requires mutual respect for participants in a sangha. It has become meaningless for a public philosophy site since the love of wisdom has devolved into the love of self justification. In such a case survival of the fittest rules the day and the most fit are seen as those most capable of abuse and cyber bullying.

The bottom line is that in the modern secular world, philosophy mutually respected as the love of wisdom requires a private philosophy site which only allows those who respect the concept and value of philosophy. Neither censorship or abusive cyber bullying serve the perennial purpose of philosophy but these are the choices for the modern philosophy site. Consequently, the only alternative for those open to practicing mutual respect in the search for truth and the love of wisdom through the path of philosophy must have private places much like Buddhism needs a sangha. What value would a sangha have which openly supports abuse and cyber bullying? That is why they gather in private.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Lacewing wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:01 am
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:18 am In all fairness to Nick, while there are many good attributes to life both of us agree on...his observations that society resembles a meat grinder are correct in quite a few degrees...you have to admit this a "little" Lacewing
I am opposing Nick's extremism and narrow definitions, as well as the way he makes up false claims about people. He has accused me (and others) of all kinds of absurd and completely false characteristics, based on this "dark world" he likes to fester on. Yes, I do realize that societal beliefs and priorities, along with a lot of religion, and egos, and ignorance... can very much twist and destroy all kinds of things. But that's not all there is... and I'm challenging Nick to see more than just THAT... and to be more responsible/truthful with his accusations/claims.

I'm not a an extremist in certain degrees?
Nick_A wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:26 am As I understand it...
Okay, Nick. As we know, we speak in different terms. To me, it doesn't make any sense at all that only one dark reality of primarily unaware beings exists in this vast Universe of magnificent creation and potential which is connected on so many levels. Why would such a vast Universe of magnificent creation and potential which is connected on so many levels be limited to some dense reality that you are focused on? That's just one perspective of so MANY! Like a crystal of many facets, when you shift your view you can see more reflections. All the definitions you make up and/or subscribe to are based on ONE view/potential/facet of MANY... and MANY are IN PLAY!
Nick_A wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:26 am What is this brilliance you refer to?
The magnificence of divine/cosmic creation and potential throughout all... in all its forms... from subtle to grand. It is breathtaking!
Nick_A wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:26 am Is it the source of verbal abuse and cyber Bullying?
Is it the source of your lies in what you accuse people of? All of it is creative potential, right? In all of its forms. Amazing what we can come up with. Will you ever appreciate it?
Nick_A wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:26 am I am just honest enough to admit the human condition as it exists in me and support those past and present open to consciously experiencing reality and whose effort awaken us to the value of conscious awareness as opposed to justifying psychological slavery which is the rage of the day.
I think a lot of people are like this... including myself. You seem intent on labeling all of us as spirit-killers though... which is your own spirit-killing behavior, whether you honestly realize it or not.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Eodnhoj7 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:44 pm
Lacewing wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:01 am I am opposing Nick's extremism and narrow definitions, as well as the way he makes up false claims about people.
I'm sure we all are. How does that invalidate my response to Nick about his brand/degree of extremism?

Look, if you want to defend Nick (and his madness), have fun with that. Or is there something you're wanting to hear from me? If so, I'm open to discuss it... let's just not use Nick's madness as any sort of justification or reasoning. :)
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Lacewing wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:01 pm
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:44 pm
Lacewing wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:01 am I am opposing Nick's extremism and narrow definitions, as well as the way he makes up false claims about people.
I'm sure we all are. How does that invalidate my response to Nick about his brand/degree of extremism?

Look, if you want to defend Nick (and his madness), have fun with that. Or is there something you're wanting to hear from me? If so, I'm open to discuss it... let's just not use Nick's madness as any sort of justification or reasoning.
The question I am posing, andthis might be strictly subjective: What is so extreme about his philosophy? I don't agree with all of it, however there are many points I do agree with. And the same goes for yours, and several other people's here. The point, I am trying to make, is the most bullying begins with people labeling people as "x", which in this case is "extremist".

It just appears to me the one thing we all have in common, in regards to the bullying, is that all are labeling eachother extremists.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

If the likes of Seleucus and Nick-A feel that they are being 'verbally abused' and 'bullied' then that has to be a good thing. I was under the impression that they are both psychopaths with no discernible feelings at all.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Lacewing
But I’ve acquired my extremist views from those like Plato, Simone Weil, Jacob Needleman, Basarab Nicolescu and those with a similar perspective. So in reality you are calling them extremists. So yes: “Long live extremists.”

Exactly what have I accused you of that is untrue? I have written many times of human hypocrisy that allows us to simultaneously be capable of the greatest compassion and the greatest atrocities without batting an eye. I am challenging you to abandon wishful thinking and be open to the reality of the human condition. Show a little humility rather than continually indulging in defensive emotional reaction.
Man on earth existing as the fallen human condition is unique. There are cosmic reasons why this unfortunate apparent necessity began but regardless, higher consciousness is doing what it can to help Man awaken to reality but the fallen human condition Plato described as if in a cave remains captive of self deception. Intelligent life in the universe is well aware of reality. We are one of the exceptions that live in a dream.

As you know colors have their origin in white light (wholeness). You prefer to argue colors (opinions) as the ultimate expression of reality. Others are aware that their source is white light so seek to move psychologically closer to white light through awakening. You see many reflections and others are attracted to wholeness. Secular intolerance is the intolerance for the need to experience connection with a quality of wholeness that is the source of their being. You prefer to condemn this attraction to eros in defense of the glorification of opinions. You won’t change and neither will I.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:16 pm If the likes of Seleucus and Nick-A feel that they are being 'verbally abused' and 'bullied' then that has to be a good thing. I was under the impression that they are both psychopaths with no discernible feelings at all.
I can see it coming. Vege will establish the official Philosophy Now mob dedicated to the defense and preservation of "right thinking." Those like Selecus and I will be proclaimed disciples of the Frankenstein monster. The mob will chase us into the tower and burn it down with the lighted torches they will be carrying. Secular progressives everywhere will hail it as a victory and one step leading to the coming utopia featuring a quality of education assuring peace and love for all.